Kim Davis - Your Opinions

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #202202 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions

Jestor wrote:

Avalonslight wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/03/tennessee-judge-denies-straight-couple-divorce-same-sex-marriage-ruling?CMP=share_btn_fb

There will be more stories...

Kim's will be the "most publisized" or at a minimum, the first "largest" one... lol...

Of course hehe

Just saying, it's not just an issue with her ;)

And the reason I'm pointing that out is because there's clearly a nationwide need to find a way to reconcile a public official's religious beliefs with a couple's right to get married in the state/county where they live/pay taxes, because if you really stop and consider it, the fact that they are paying those taxes and what not means they're paying for the pay check of those public officials and therefore should be able to obtain the legal authority to marry from those officials... After all, they're paying those officials to do their jobs and their jobs include issuing those licenses/conducting those weddings.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Avalon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 7 months ago #202204 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions

there's clearly a nationwide need to find a way to reconcile a public official's religious beliefs

No, there's not...

"God fearing candidate" used to mean an honest candidate...

Now, its a catchphrase to win the Christian vote....

And its not supposed to be like that... slowly, those who cannot do the job due to their beliefs, will be removed, and not even run for office, once these lines are drawn...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202207 by
Replied by on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions
Most everyone has summed up my feelings in that if she is uwilling to perform her job duties than she should take responsibility for that decision and leave that position. As an american she is expected to comply with a court order, regardless if what she believes. This is fundamental to our society.

What I dont understand is how it follows that this is some sort of religious persecution. The christian right seems to want to turn this into a fight, but if they are going to assert that religious belief should allow you to break the law than that would mean biblical law supercedes the constition, etc. This is an untenable position and I fear that if christian leaders dont learn to bend than christianity may end up becoming more and more irrelavent as time goes by.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #202210 by OB1Shinobi
there is a political movement which considers itself christian

this movement is not particularly interested in constitutionality or in overall equality, but is actively attempting to "return america to its christian roots"

that part of christianity would already be irrelevant - if there werent so many of them

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202253 by
This one threw me for a loop. Lol Can't even get love from the biggest hate mongers on the planet.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/westboro-baptist-church-weighs-kim-davis-article-1.2350856

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #202292 by OB1Shinobi
shes out of jail

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-set-released-jail/story?id=33601309

these were my favorite parts

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee stood alongside Davis and her attorney, Mat Staver, outside the jail, calling her "incredibly brave."

"We stand with Kim today," Huckabee said, adding that he is willing to go to jail in her place. "We cannot criminalize the Christian faith," he said.

Staver said, "Kim Davis cannot and will not violate her conscience," adding that, "her conscience remains cleared."

"She can never recover the past six days of her life spent in an isolated jail cell, where she was incarcerated like a common criminal because of her conscience and religious convictions," Mat Staver said in a statement today. "She is now free to return to her family, her coworkers and the office where she has faithfully served for the past 27 years. We will continue to assist Kim and pursue the multiple appeals she has filed."

...wow....

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
8 years 7 months ago #202316 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions
Ive said very little on the whole thing in general. Ive simply been enjoying the witty responses the clever people on the internet have been coming up. Below is a selection of my favorite ones.

Attachment h8353219.jpg not found

Attachment hd726f17.jpg not found

Attachment h4363e7b.jpg not found

I think the judge said it best though. " You have a right to your beliefs but not to your job"

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, RyuJin, Jestor, OB1Shinobi

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 7 months ago #202318 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions
lol...

I ask my Christian co-worker about his thoughts, and he agreed with the law...

The we started (it was my fault, I admit) discussing our countries founding on religious freedom, not on Christianity...

When I read some quotes from that "Americanisachristiancountry" website, he said, "Well, where's the research the other way?"

I said "good question", with a wink...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 7 months ago #202333 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions
they're treating this woman like a hero....why? because she stood up for her religious beliefs? what about the countless others that stand up for their beliefs with no fanfare or praise....

she's a STATE official, that means she's supposed to check her religious baggage at the door and do her damned job...i work for the state of florida, when i enter the building i check my views at the door...there are plenty of rules i don't agree with, but the world is full of rules not everyone agrees with...

they need to impeach this woman, she was voted in to do a job and she refuses to do the job, remove her from that job...

she wants to whine that her constitutional rights are being violated...what about the constitutional rights she's violating by refusing to do her job and force her religious views on others....

marriages were being done long before christianity existed, the ceremonies may have been different, they may have had different names, but they had the same intent....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, J_Roz, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202352 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: shes out of jail

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-set-released-jail/story?id=33601309

these were my favorite parts

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee stood alongside Davis and her attorney, Mat Staver, outside the jail, calling her "incredibly brave."

"We stand with Kim today," Huckabee said, adding that he is willing to go to jail in her place. "We cannot criminalize the Christian faith," he said.

Staver said, "Kim Davis cannot and will not violate her conscience," adding that, "her conscience remains cleared."

"She can never recover the past six days of her life spent in an isolated jail cell, where she was incarcerated like a common criminal because of her conscience and religious convictions," Mat Staver said in a statement today. "She is now free to return to her family, her coworkers and the office where she has faithfully served for the past 27 years. We will continue to assist Kim and pursue the multiple appeals she has filed."

...wow....

I also heard today on Times News that the band, Survivor, is furious because Davis' supporters played "Eye Of The Tiger" when she came out of the courthouse. She used their music without their permission at a very public rally. I'm not sure if she actually broke any laws or if the band will do anything about it. The lead singer of Survivor said he does not agree with Kim Davis' views at all and he is disappointed that his song was used at the event.

I do find it pretty ridiculous for her to paint herself as a hero. Is it heroic to limit the rights of others and take the law into your own hands? I have worked in a state job before and even though I didn't always agree with the policies I had to enforce, I knew it was my JOB. I had the right to quit if I felt strongly enough about an issue. Why didn't Kim Davis just quit if she didn't agree with the law? I learned from working in a government office that, even on days when I didn't agree with a policy, I would still do my job, treat my clients as people, and answer their questions politely and show genuine care. If Kim Davis cared about her clients, the people applying for licenses, she would step aside and allow her deputies to do her duty in her place. The hard truth is that she probably doesn't care about the people. She has drawn attention to herself on purpose to advertise her supposed "moral high ground".

And yeah, "Eye of the Tiger"? Lol. The lady spent a very short time in a jail cell. She should read about Nelson Mandela and his 27 years in prison before she pats herself on the back. And to have Mike Huckabee there too? It just doesn't sit well with me. It is scary how many politicians want to weave religion into government.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi