Chistian Flag Flown Over National Flag - Pandemonium Doesn't Ensue

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197170 by

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the
right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services
conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown
above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person
shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international
flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to or in place
of the flag of the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided,
That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice
heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of
superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal
prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the
headquarters of the United Nations.

Wow, is that an actual law?

Akkarin wrote: Geez, you Americans and your obsession with flags :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #197174 by Kit

Akkarin wrote: Wow, is that an actual law?

Akkarin wrote: Geez, you Americans and your obsession with flags :D

haha yes it is. And if I remember right, states have their own additions to the Flag Code too. I always considered it from a military standpoint, we have regulations for everything...

It might be more of an obsession of symbols

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197175 by
No, it is a Flag Code. Not law.

So, one can fly the flag however they want without legal ramifications. But, the code "should" be followed.

Um... the flag is our symbol of freedom. Quite literally. Don't you know the line? "'Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there... Oh say, does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave o'er the land of the Free and the home of the Brave?"

Like, I'm sitting here naked in my bed getting chills from just typing it. lol. The idea is that through all the fighting, all the powers of this world clashing, our flag still rises above. Freedom is there, an inherent quality of our being human. I doubt most Americans understand that on a conscious level. But, they probably do on some level.

More
8 years 9 months ago #197182 by Athena_Undomiel

OB1Shinobi wrote: mcdonalds probably has a greater significance in the lives of many americans than the american flag - the symbolism is apropos in my mind

in fact i would get a snapshot and call it art

Lmao!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197184 by

Connor L. wrote: Um... the flag is our symbol of freedom. Quite literally. Don't you know the line? "'Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there... Oh say, does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave o'er the land of the Free and the home of the Brave?"

Like, I'm sitting here naked in my bed getting chills from just typing it. lol. The idea is that through all the fighting, all the powers of this world clashing, our flag still rises above. Freedom is there, an inherent quality of our being human. I doubt most Americans understand that on a conscious level. But, they probably do on some level.

That line gives me chills every time I hear it. It doesn't matter how poorly the person singing it does.

Edit: Also, thank you for pointing that out. I feel that it was an important reminder as to why we place such significance on the flag. That was important to remember during this discussion.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 9 months ago #197186 by ren

Connor L. wrote: Um... the flag is our symbol of freedom. Quite literally.

Isn't it the opposite though? (nation on earth with the highest proportion of its population being in jail and stuff...)

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197187 by

ren wrote:

Isn't it the opposite though? (nation on earth with the highest proportion of its population being in jail and stuff...)

This might deserve it's own thread, but there's one question that I've always wanted to ask when someone brings that up. Is America unjustly imprisoning too many of it's citizens or are American parents raising more criminals who are then rightly put away? Either way it's bad, but I'd still like to know.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197188 by

ren wrote:

I would run the country differently. Lol.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197190 by OB1Shinobi
I agree that the flag is a symbol of what I consider the American ideals; freedom, equality, and opportunity

does America fully live up to the potential that these ideals imply? no, not by a long shot

could we? yes, and we will eventually, at least by current standards (just as some might argue that we already do if only compared to the standards of an earlier era)

I don't really IDENTIFY with any flag, simply because they all get used by organizations, private and governmental, to represent actions and ideas which I feel are contrary to those basic CORE AMERICAN ideals - war and the usurpation of political influence vis a vis corporate greed, (did I use "vis a vis" correctly? lol I don't know but I am AMERICAN and I can do that and that is good in my opinion) and the sad and unlikely to change statistic mentioned earlier of prison rates are all clear examples

flags mean a lot of things depending on who is flying them

in another thread the confederate flag was mentioned, I would say that I am a southern man and I do not associate the "confederate flag" with racism but with a rich and nuanced cultural heritage of which I am overall rather proud of, huge and terrible mistakes notwithstanding or denied

I am not going to jack this thread to elaborate on that topic, I only mention it to express the idea that for me to have a confederate flag in my bed room for instance would not have the same significance as a klu klukker klansman waving the same flag on top of their pick up truck, and all flags and all symbols and icons have this same underlying ambiguity

for the OP, I didn't even know there WAS a "Christian flag" until now - but if this guy represents the ideas that flag supports then i would not want to associate myself with it even if i did identify myself as a Christian

all those talking points about "god over country" and "we (our Christian values) are under attack" and "America is a Christian nation as per the will of our founding fathers" and all this other stuff that I consider silly and unhealthy

god over country is something that I do agree with - i dont feel that a persons spiritual belifes are ever something we should expect to be secondary to ones national or especially political allegiance, but using it as slogan and a ploy to draw attention to your silly group and its silly causes is not

and I do find these kinds of religious people silly so long as they aren't using bombs and men with guns to enforce their ideas and agendas (which they do whenever they get the opportunity)

about the imprisonment rate of America - I think there is no logical case to be made that americans are more deserving of incarceration than say the Chinese, who, the last time I cared to check, imprison less of their population than we do

to put it mildly, we have problems

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 9 months ago #197192 by ren

Goken wrote:

ren wrote:

This might deserve it's own thread, but there's one question that I've always wanted to ask when someone brings that up. Is America unjustly imprisoning too many of it's citizens or are American parents raising more criminals who are then rightly put away? Either way it's bad, but I'd still like to know.

Oh we've had many of those discussions here. The US police/justice system is completely bonkers.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi