Rewrite the Bible?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189488 by
Replied by on topic Rewrite the Bible?

Catholics, as I was one

Aren't once we are baptised are we not always Catholic? Can we be unbaptised or just ignore it?

Of course it all proabably it's up to: who you ask, which church or which/whos god inspires who.

Now having said that am I going to hell?

No wait, too late, I'm Married. :laugh: :)

Awe forget it! :woohoo:
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #189489 by

Rickie wrote:

Catholics, as I was one

Aren't once we are baptised are we not always Catholic? Can we be unbaptised or just ignore it?

Of course it all proabably it's up to: who you ask, which church or which/whos god inspires who.

Now having said that am I going to hell?

No wait, too late, I'm Married. :laugh: :)

Awe forget it! :woohoo:

:laugh:

I think I had it explained to me that way once. Of course I was a Baptist so my baptism was different.

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189494 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rewrite the Bible?
roman catholics do baptism as babies

the pope is seen as the vicar of christ in catholicism

catholics pray to saints and to virgin mary for intercession - this isnt that catholics ask mary to "make it happen" but rather if i really want to go to disney world i might pray to the saint of fun and merriment to put a good word to jesus or god for me so he might allow or help me to get there

or i might pettition mary to remind jesus to watch out for my son when he joins the army

protestants teach that individuals are capable of interpreting scripture for themselves (with the help of the holy spirit) whereas catholicism it is taught that interpretation is from the church

catholicism teaches that ones behavior is a condition of salvation whereas protestants teach that it is only the acceptence and declaration of the divinity and resurection of jesus as the christ which matters as a requisite for heaven

theres also a greek pope which is different somehow and represents a different kind of catholicism from roman catholic but i know nothing else about it except that it exists

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #189498 by

Rickie wrote:

Catholics, as I was one

You are baptised as a baby because of the idea of Original Sin, if we all have sin then we'll go to hell, but we don't want babies suffering because of this if they die very young. So the idea of pergatory was invented as a place to go prior to entering heaven if you died at a very young age (and some other reasons) and the practise of baptising babies as soon as possible to prevent this fate was also instituted.

As far as I'm aware there has never been any ruling which says one cannot renounce their faith, though of course if you die and it turns out the Catholics were right then you might look pretty silly :P

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 1 week ago #189501 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rewrite the Bible?
I think that, like any group, we become 'lapsed'...

Because no one likes to show a drop in numbers/membership...

I dont think I publicly renounced it, but as I have chose another path, I no longer consider myself Catholic...

Although I am sure I am still on their books, as I still receive communion envelopes in the mail, :lol:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 1 week ago #189502 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rewrite the Bible?
also the catholic bible has more books than the protestant bible.

sirach being one imo which was just a bad call on the part of the protestants, as it is one of the most directly instructive/proscriptive and universally accessible /relevant books of either bibles

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #189503 by
Aren't sermons just modern interpretations of the lessons in the Bible?

More
9 years 1 week ago #189554 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rewrite the Bible?

Radar6590 wrote: Aren't sermons just modern interpretations of the lessons in the Bible?

Not exactly, no.

More
9 years 1 week ago #189557 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rewrite the Bible?

Streen wrote:

Revelation 22:19 > "And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll".

Deuteronomy 4:2 > "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you."

People have NOT been rewriting the Bible (and least, not the Old and New Testament) for this very reason. What has been happening is that new translations have been cropping up.

This, exactly, is 98% of my reasoning.

For example, the King James Version (KJV) is one of the oldest translations, and so is often respected by many Christians as the proper version. Unfortunately it's difficult to read for a lot of people. On the other hand, the New International Version (NIV) is based on a manuscript that had more copies. It's not as old as the KJV, but there's more of them than the KJV. Another thing to keep in mind is that the KJV is translated into English word to word, whereas the NIV is translated one statement or verse at a time, expressing the idea of the statement rather than the meaning of each individual word.

The NIV also left a lot of stuff out. You can Google it if you're interested, but there are verses just straight missing.

Also, the KJV is written at a tenth grade reading level. The fact that English speaking Christians don't know the history of their own language enough not to struggle is an educational issue of great magnitude, but it's not a difficult book to understand. If you believe it is, you might try the NKJV, which my pastor used to call "The KJV without all them thar' thee's 'n' thou's."

(...Who cares if you need to be educated in order to understand it?)

I don't think anything you have to be educated to understand is a loss. Ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #189567 by
you could have a bible pardy.
I think that's a great idea. "Madam and Steve"
"St seeker"

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi