The Obvious Perfect Temple Solution...

More
9 years 3 months ago #179869 by Br. John
I'll issue the appropriate warnings and alerts. It looks like we're having a serious outbreak of sanity.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley, Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #179896 by Breeze el Tierno
This seems to be headed in the direction of a Jedi Burning Man. I am behind that 100%.

Also, I kinda just want a get for my backyard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Tarran

More
9 years 3 months ago #179898 by Rosalyn J
I will be building one. Although since I live in an apartment...I'll just take it to the gathering.

Im excited about the potential. I wonder what I am going to put in mine.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #179904 by
I'm happy to see the practical thinking here. It reminds me of my days as a Boy Scout when we would just throw all of our gear on our backs and pick a place to meet up with other Scouts. Eagle Scouts would help the newbies learn to create shelters, light fires, cook, etc. Eventually these turned into "Jamborees" with hundreds of us congregating in a field or forest somewhere and enjoying each other's company for a few days. Then we'd pack up and go on our separate ways until the next time. No building required, you're "one with nature", and you can leave the place as you found it for the next to enjoy. At the risk of resurrecting another favorite conversation around here, I'd say this idea sounds like "a very 'Jedi' thing to do."
:)

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179931 by Tarran
I *LIKE* 'a Jedi thing to do', and 'how Jedi was that?', and 'now, that wasn't very Jedi'... I seem to remember a sermon (I *think* it was a sermon... or article... ) on that. But it seemed one-sided... it made some good and valid points, but only from one face of the coin... if I remember rightly (and I might not), it seemed to be delivered by someone who was quite obviously not a fan of hearing it.

I guess it just depends on the delivery... and the attitude of those receiving it :P lol

But yeah, I think we all need to STRIVE DILIGENTLY to do things that would be very Jedi to do :)

Getting back on topic, here's just one source of the nylon rip-stop sail cloth... to those unfamiliar, it's called "rip-stop" because of the way it is woven... you can shoot a bullet through it, and even gale-force winds will not continue it into a rip - the weave holds it stopped, making it invaluable material for sails (think windsurfing, too), as well as tents and heavy-payload-lifting box kites. Check it out; http://ripstopbytheroll.com/

The stuff is beautiful, low maintenance, light as a freakin' feather, and foldable/rollable into such tight spaces to make anyone impressed.

Also, Goodwinds kite making supplies has everything from ripstop sailcloth and poly struts... check out their products, even just for inspiration, right here; https://goodwinds.com/kiting-supply

There's also Nylon ripstop sailcloth HEM TAPE - NO SEWING!!!! Check it out here; https://goodwinds.com/sail-supplies/tapes/adhesive-ripstop-repair-tape.html

Into The Wind has been another of my very favourites for kite making supplies - check them out here; http://www.intothewind.com/

Oh, and in scoping out the material, keep in mind that there are also transparent/translucent options, for windows/skylighting/greenhouse purposes... perhaps in the southern-facing parts of domed roofing, for instance... just a thought ;) :D

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Tarran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179938 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: See now...That is smarter thinking ;) I can get down on that. Heck, I even have an unused shed I planned to do just that. THAT can work :)

But that still dosn't solve the larger group aspects of meeting Jedi offline and training.

Last night I wrote up a small "Proposal" just for the heck of it....Its very rough cut and dry and not at all professional XD But to me and the experience's I have had with gatherings. I feel this route is more "Likely" that an actual temple.

What would be a Reasonable and Obtainable goal to creating a Jedi Retreat/Temple in Kit's eyes?

I am going to use myself as an example. Just because it is easy and I actually have the information on hand for it. (Because I am actually in search of a new home regardless of Jedi and Temples) I will also make note that I will use the term “Retreat” because I personally do not like the term “Temple”

I am currently in search of a new home. The one I am living in is falling apart faster than we can pay for and we want to get it sold and us moved before it falls over our heads. We have two daughters. 3 and 4 years old and we have held over five or so Gatherings/Regional in our own home for 20-31 members over the years before. I would like to hope and believe that my family is at least a bit respected in the community and I am as of this year a recognized Knight by the offline community.

I propose that the Community helped my family to move into a home that would help us... help the community.

What does that mean? It sounds like you just want us to buy you a place to live!

Not exactly. My family would front up most of the cash and expenses for it + utilities and the costs required to continue living there......we would just be asking for help with the extra that we can't afford and just like it is now and has been for years, gatherings would still be held here in michigan, in our home....but now with better, upgraded options!

What are those “Upgrades?”

* One of the properties I am looking at has 5 acres of land. 0_0 That's better than our .whatever small backyard we got now and will allow us to eventually build and expand on this land due to its size.

- This property has a pole barn with Electric and Water which could be refurbished and used as a conference hall for Indoor Jedi meetings and workshops.

- This property is in Michigan which has good soil, sunlight and growing conditions for gardens to grow and produce our own foods.

- This land has it's own Pond (I have such a cool Meditation Niche idea for it too!! XD )

- This property is walking distance from the local College

- This property is down the road from the local Elementary and Up schools

- This property is down the road from 4 Apartments (One of which I lived in and can attest to it's quality)

- This property is down the road from the Meijiers (Local Supermarket)

- This property is down the road from several Restaurants and food chains

- There is also a K-mart, Sam's Club, Planet Fitness, 4 nearby hotels, Lowels, 2 theaters, Target, a Mall, 3 vets... And....well, you get the idea...its a great location. (Ask anyone who has been to the regional/gatherings held at my place)

- Due to all the local business there are many job opportunities. One of which my husband works at and can refer people into his job for good benefits and pay if one sticks to it.

- There is also an small city town airport

- And my personal favorite...Michigan has a lot of wildlife that goes through this little town city despite all of it's modern attractions. We get deer, turkey, cranes, and other wildlife that are simply amazing to watch. But thats just a fun perk of course XD lol

How does this help the community? Lets look at some goals.

1. Refurbish the Pole Barn Dojo style! Which means wood floors, fold out mats for training practices, practice weapon racks, a couple of wing chun dummies, grappling dummies, protection sparring armor, Floor Pillows and rugs for meditations, art and crafts stations, presentation tables....We could do a whole lot with a pole barn.

2. Cultivate the land. Make Gardens, and sale the produce at the local Farmers Market. Bring in small livestock (Goats for milk/Chickens for eggs and bees for honey/beeswax/pollen) and sell those too.

3. Cabins - Build small cob home cabins Jedi can rent or live in. I know several Jedi who are struggling with their living conditions and need a place to stay until they get on their feet. Not only could we have Cabins they could stay in. But potential opportunities for them to find jobs and eventually their own homes.

4. Turn the pond into a Meditation Sanctuary

5. Build a security fence around the property for more privacy

I would start out small. Refurbishing the Pole Barn and sticking to that with our usual Gatherings/Regionals for a few years. Once things become stable and looking like it's going to gain more community interest I would start to expand.

The price of Cob Houses vary and would require more research. But I have seen some small one's made for 3000$ of natural materials and would be really fun Jedi training projects!

Everything would be built in stages and over the course of years and Need. As the offline community grows....The Retreat grows with a trusted/capable Steward to upkeep and maintain the lands.

I will take this time to remind everyone that I used myself and this particular property as an example. Naturally....Anyone could do something like this if they have that ability to do so. To me, I feel that this is a far more practical and potential proposal that some of the other requests I have seen throughout the many years.

So why not do this!?! It looks pretty Amazing for all that it has to offer!

Sadly....It is just above our Maximum limit for moving which is $85k to $100k MAX. This property here is about $158k and just over what we can afford so we are forced to turn a blind eye and look for something closer to our pay grade which will likely mean something not so grand and Jedi Community friendly.

One last and most important thing I wanted to point out here. Jedi Gatherings roughly average to about $150 a year. This pays for lodgings, Food, Linens, WiFi ect ect. If this place became the home of a Jedi willing to open it up for future gatherings and training programs, the Prices of these gatherings would go down considerably because the "Needs" would already be covered on the property. So instead of $150 it could drop to simply $50 for food and utility usage costs. ((Jedi use alot of water for showers >_> lol))

As I stated. This was just a rough shot proposal for the heck of it and I only used myself as an easy example. Anyone could do this. I know a few Jedi who have the land and abilities to set something like this up easily....they just lack the Initiative to do it and the extra costs to raise a pole barn.

Edit: I would also like to point out that, even this I see as over reaching. There are alot of issus even with this proposal. Sure I could set up a Kickstarter fundraising for it...for example. But by the time we raised money for it...the property will likely be gone. Among alot of others road blocks. The point is though....No matter how far reaching it is....Finding a regular home with a regular plot of land makes more sense to me than say...an abandoned military base ;)

so since steamboat can build anything, sew anything, can catch flying arrows and shoot them back at the offender, knows everything, and "jedi" have the land then there should have been, what, four or six "jedi" Burning Mans by now? steamboat also knows how to raise as many animals as was carried on noah's ark on one acre of his parents' so you oneses could start a ranch there too.

Besides not having the initiative and really just wanting the religious system of the forum the only thing that is holding back TOTJO "jedi" is a bad case of blinding butt hurttia.

Any honest person with common sense can see it.

since there obviously should have been 4 to six "jedi" Burning Man's by now where is the proof? You guys love evidence and sources. Don't tell me that someone who loves evidence and proving things so much forgot to take pictures.

:evil:
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179942 by Tarran

ghost dog wrote: so since steamboat can build anything, sew anything, can catch flying arrows and shoot them back at the offender, knows everything, and "jedi" have the land then there should have been, what, four or six "jedi" Burning Mans by now? steamboat also knows how to raise as many animals as was carried on noah's ark on one acre of his parents' so you oneses could start a ranch there too.

Besides not having the initiative and really just wanting the religious system of the forum the only thing that is holding back TOTJO "jedi" is a bad case of blinding butt hurttia.

Any honest person with common sense can see it.

since there obviously should have been 4 to six "jedi" Burning Man's by now where is the proof? You guys love evidence and sources. Don't tell me that someone who loves evidence and proving things so much forgot to take pictures.

:evil:

Dude... whaaa-?? I'm *WAY* lost (and the fact that I'm sleepy as feck, and had tossed back a couple ain't helpin' much lol)... are you like hatin' on this idea? Or people? Or... ?? Did I or anyone in this thread, like, say/do sumthin' to offend ya?

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Tarran.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179947 by

Tarran wrote: Dude... whaaa-?? I'm *WAY* lost (and the fact that I'm sleepy as feck, and had tossed back a couple ain't helpin' much lol)... are you like hatin' on this idea? Or people? Or... ?? Did I or anyone in this thread, like, say/do sumthin' to offend ya?

Nope. Im pretty lost to. Soooo It's not just you. He quoted my stuff....But didn't really say anything concerning.... :unsure:

Anyways!!

Buying land and having a few "Jedi Tents" would workout pretty awesomely. (If you can actually get Jedi to camp out rugged style to which you would be surprised to know is alot harder than it sounds....) :) It's how all the Ren Fares do it.

My husband and I will be building a Viking Tent this year, or at least we hope to...depends on how much his work gets in the way.....they are easy and cheap, spacious, and just plain cool if you get a creative mind on it. We hope to bring it to the September Indiana Jedi Training Camp ^_^
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #179966 by steamboat28

ghost dog wrote: so since steamboat can build anything, sew anything, can catch flying arrows and shoot them back at the offender, knows everything, and...steamboat also knows how to raise as many animals as was carried on noah's ark on one acre of his parents' so you oneses could start a ranch there too.

you'd be amazed at how accurate this is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Adder, Brenna, , Breeze el Tierno, Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #179991 by
to heck with the tents, I prefer to drive my RV there. I have gotten so soft in my old age... :silly:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi