The Obvious Perfect Temple Solution...

More
9 years 3 months ago #179790 by Tarran
Okay, I've seen many posts on quite a few threads on this, but there seems to be an obvious answer - and I think people see it, but for some reason or other, steer away from it. But if we weigh out all the pro's and cons, I believe this idea still comes out on top. First, I should say that I originally posted this post in the thread titled, " "Jedi Temple" Dispute " - but thought it best to start a specific discussion on *this* because I think this, while in a broad sense, categorically under the same topic, it kind of discusses a slightly different path to go about it.

Here is what I had posted there;

Now, I'm thinking that this *may* have been mentioned - I mean, how can it not be? But I've not seen it done so... but due to there being a mega-FRAK-ton of posts, here, there, and everywhere on this and similar topics, if I tried to read through ALL of them, my grandchildren will be collecting social security before I get done (LOL) Sooooooooo...

Okay, it seems very obvious to me (and perhaps to other NA pow-wow'ers out there), that the very best, and most perfect solution of all is for everyone to have their own portable temple...

Now, STAY WITH ME on this everyone, hear me out some...

We Native Americans and those who are of other bloods but join in fellowship with us on the pow-wow circuit, do this thing called pow-wowing... we have get-togethers, in campers, tents and so on... and many of us have tepees. Let's focus for the moment (just the moment) on the tepee...

It is a home, it is a place of spirituality... there is a place for an alter, there are places for sacred objects, incense smudges, meditations, taking of food and drink, discussions, fellowship, solace, upliftment, and so on... the liner walls are decorated with sacred images and other paintings... and each brings their own, though welcome to visit each other's... we set them in circles and great hoops... these are our temples, and in the circles and hoops they are set in, these are The Temple.

Now let's look at the idea from a bigger-picture distance for a minute - this would mean that we have our temple... whether alone, or joining in fellowship at a geographical area of choosing... *ANY* area of choosing *whenever* we choose.

Now let's look at this idea as for cost... we all make our own - like the lightsaber, a Jedi constructs her/his own.

Now, let's see this as NOT a tepee structure, but something that we all can work with... something perhaps of a modular-able design... I remember seeing old military tents that were of a hexagonal floor plan, vertically straight-walled, with a domed top... something like that, which, if we chose to, could be grouped together and attached in rings and/or chains... or, not... perhaps in said formations, but just not attached... or perhaps... it's everyone's individual choice...

These honeycombed formations, if some were staggered, could be multiple concentric rings... could have radiating groups from the edge... or *any* formation we choose...

Each would be like the cells of a body... whether separate or attached, individually used, or connected together for group session activities, sermons, lessons, classes, exhibitions or lectures, etc.

We should come up with a construction concept... struts could be exquisitely cheap - say, 3/8" diameter PVC... the fabric can be nylon rip-stop sail cloth, such as is used for tents, and also for box kites - and supply shops, online or off, for kites and kite making, are actually the best for availability and cost... I could post some links...

I could post designs... I'm sure a lot of us could...

We should stick to something that is fairly uniform... it seems, according to Nature, the bee's hexagon seems best... and a domed top - and as far as size, for modular ability - whether connecting, or not connecting but wishing to fit in patterns with others (like a village), we should come up with one or maybe two size types... say, sleeps 2-3 and sleeps 4-5... anything larger should be made/owned/maintained by counsel members for administrative use - and should be modular as well for large group meetings.

So, so far, that takes care of;

Structure - No rental fees for large solid buildings, yet what we'd have would be totally versatile, ownable, and a complete community/village-effort.

Cost - Due to simplicity of design, and materials, depending on size, structural costs might even be kept down to about a one-shot personal expense of around 50 bucks per.

Geographical Area - One of the biggest problems. Pick anywhere on Earth - for a vast majority of Jedi, the choice will be unfair. Making the place a *mobile choice* is FAR more fair, as it can provide the opportunity for all to attend different events.

What say you all?

I think I might also post this in a separate thread. Maybe.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, steamboat28, Locksley, Alexandre Orion, J. K. Barger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179791 by steamboat28
I just wanna throw this out there, but you can make a perfectly servicable ger-ish structure from PVC pipe and an old tarp. They're portable, solid, freestanding, and have the option of an actual honest-to-gosh door if one wants*.

I am all for a "nomadic" Temple existence. It decentralizes things in such a way that we could have four or five of these things roaming at once, or campground meet-ups in certain areas, make a circuit the way old-timey churches did (back when there were too many congregations for the number of priests).

In the US, for example, we could either have a few "national" group meetings in something like this, or encourage multiple smaller regional get-togethers once or twice a year. Or both, simultaneously. We have enough national parks and campgrounds floating around that there's bound to be one close to everybody at some point.

* - steamboat28 is biased because he's currently building a wooden ger for himself, and therefore has researched this structure until he's sick of Google.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Tarran

More
9 years 3 months ago #179796 by Tarran
DUDE! I remember that yurt vid' - kickass tarp idea, too - you totally freakin' rock! :D

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179797 by steamboat28
My first attempt at building a yurt involved a $100 vinyl billboard tarp I bought online. I had to scrap construction at the time, so I gave the tarp to my father for a project, but the things are huge. Barring that, poly or canvas tarps (properly UV protected) aren't a bad plan either. You just want to make sure you have something for the cover that holds up to the weather and blocks enough UV that it won't disintegrate, or weaken the PVC underneath (the "guest" in that video makes PVC bows to teach archery with, and suggests duct-tape or spraypaint in his books to block some of the radiation from weakening the pipe.)

Also, I know Jedi don't normally use the same trappings as other faiths, but another thing I have extensive research experience with is portable ritual gear--altars, garments, bags, the whole nine--for a couple of different faiths. I have an entire Pinterest board devoted to the idea for inspiration purposes while I transition from the three porta-altars I have to one I'll build in the future. Anything I know (or can build), you guys are welcome to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179798 by Tarran
Good call... also, if one wants to have a central open fire pit like in a tepee or Mongol yurt, PVC might be best traded in for wood... say, spruce or Douglas fir 2x4s, ripped to size... I remember a PVC tepee (LMFAO) that ended up looking like a gi-hugic Hershey's kiss ahahahaha

Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Tarran.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179799 by steamboat28
To add to your "cellular" camp layout idea, both of those types of structures can have open centers (the centerposts in a yurt being optional), and we could put them in a circle around a central fire. That would give an open fire outside of all the structures for gathering (which would reflect into/onto each of the structures), but still have room for internal heating away from any of the "walls".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Tarran

More
9 years 3 months ago #179800 by Tarran

steamboat28 wrote: To add to your "cellular" camp layout idea, both of those types of structures can have open centers (the centerposts in a yurt being optional), and we could put them in a circle around a central fire. That would give an open fire outside of all the structures for gathering, but still have room for internal heating away from any of the "walls".

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! Ja, das ist wunderbar!! :D

Oh, *GAWD*... I'd better get some sleep lol

Can't wait to see this thread after work tomorrow! :D

More
9 years 3 months ago #179809 by Alexandre Orion
This sounds like a lot of fun, honestly. These could even be fairly luxurious. :)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #179841 by steamboat28
I think it's a really clever idea, especially since we have a decently-sized bushcraft-enthusiast crowd here, too. Individual enclosures could be as posh or as bare as desired, but it would be really interesting to have Jedi Campouts traipsing all over the countryside, yeah? Especially since the point is about 98% "togetherness".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #179842 by
So, it seems that there are a few of us who enjoy this sort of thing. I'm not any sort of experienced with this, so I'd have to just give ideas. But, maybe somebody could come up with a schematic and basic "tools" a person would need?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi