Avatar Discussion (Episode 1, TLA)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #181091 by
Are they Earthbenders or just from Earth Nation?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #181092 by
You're right. My mistake. I haven't watched it in a while.

But, I wonder if the philosophy is still related. You see kind of hive mind superconsciousness in regards to the nations people are from. Kind of archetypical.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #181101 by
I'm glad you said that because I suspect there's something to be taken from that.

I would submit that each Nation suffers from a different type of ailment relating to their sense of people-identity. The Fire Nation is most obvious: hyper-nationalism.

As for what the other three represent, I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect the Earth Nation is isolation in part because they hadn't engaged in the Hundred Year War until Aang showed up and swayed King Bumi to his cause (they were friends long ago, afterall).
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 2 months ago #181103 by Rosalyn J
I need to re-watch the series. You guys are bringing up some great points

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
9 years 2 months ago #181113 by Ben
I'd forgotten about this, but I've coincidentally just started watching it on Netflix...

I think I'm up to about episode 6, which is more or less perfect...I'll try to remember to join in!

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 2 months ago #181115 by steamboat28

Jamie Stick wrote: I'm glad you said that because I suspect there's something to be taken from that.

I would submit that each Nation suffers from a different type of ailment relating to their sense of people-identity. The Fire Nation is most obvious: hyper-nationalism.

As for what the other three represent, I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect the Earth Nation is isolation in part because they hadn't engaged in the Hundred Year War until Aang showed up and swayed King Bumi to his cause (they were friends long ago, afterall).

I hope I'm not derailing anything here, but looking at the styles of the Four Nations (clothing styles, hairstyles, etc.), we can pick up on a lot of real-world influences (shameless plug) that give us cues and clues about the natures of the nations.

Specifically in discussing the nature of the relationship between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom, you'll notice that the Japanese-influenced Fire Nation's aggressive bending style and war tactics have led to an invasion of the Sino-Korean influenced Earth Kingdom (reminiscent of Japanese imperialism invading mainland China during the second Sino-Japanese War, which was coincidental and contemporary of many actions during WW2). Despite being larger in both geographic area and population, the Earth Kingdom fell almost completely to the archipelago's forces by the beginning of the series. Prior to that, the Earth Kingdom believed their mighty walls would keep them safe (especially in Ba Sing Se, the capital of the Earth Kingdom apparently influenced by the Great Wall, Beijing, and the Forbidden City). So I'd say you're accurate about both of those: the Fire Nation's imperialism and the Earth Kingdom's isolationary stagnation.

The Water Tribes seem bound by tradition, I think. The only example I'll give right now (for those who haven't seen the series before) are Sokka's actions in this episode (in regards to gender stereotypes) and in episodes 1&2 (wherein he upholds the mighty warrior tradition to a point that could be very damaging to his community), but other examples in the series do exist, and it's interesting to see how they compare and contrast with what we've seen of Sokka's viewpoints.

And, while controversial, I do believe it's obvious that the nonviolence of the Air Nomads led, directly or indirectly, to their extermination.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183158 by
Episode 5: The King of Omashu

This may be one of the more difficult episodes to talk about because it is almost exclusively focusing on Aang. I think this may the first time Aang takes into consideration the fact that being the Avatar draws unwanted attention. After what happened in Kyoshi, it shouldn't surprise anyone that he would be more mindful, but Aang is still very much a child. The primary reason for Aang wanting to stop in Omashu is because it would be fun. I know it comes across as though I'm disparaging children, but I'm actually try to make a note of Aang's growth. He is still a child by the end of the series, but he's a very child from the one we're seeing right now.

Let's talk about appearances and not just those of Bumi seemingly as an old man or of the deadly challenges. How about the fact that the Avatar is a boy even though he's something like 12 (biologically 112)? This has come up in the past couple of episodes and is in part why nobody believes he's actually the Avatar. There is very little about this episode that is exactly as it appears. Why? What can be taken away from this? Why is it important? I would humbly suggest that it is a reflection and simplification of life. That very few things in life are straightforward and that it requires discernment to understanding what is happening.

What are your thoughts?
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204621 by
Replied by on topic Avatar Discussion
Would people be interested in reviving this?

For those who don't know, we were going through Avatar the Last Airbender episode by episode and discussing lessons to be learned from the show.

If not, we can just let this thread fade back into obscurity.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204623 by steamboat28
As someone who doesn't currently feel comfortable either in this Temple or in my own head, I'm relatively certain these kinds of discussions about this franchise would be a really good way for me to check in here once in a while. I need to watch this series again anyhow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
8 years 6 months ago #204637 by Kit
I don't know why I missed this the first time but I loved this show. Unfortunately I can't promise I can be active in it but I vote to see it live again.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi