Advice needed: how to shut up.

More
9 years 4 months ago #174502 by Hitira38
Cyan, we are all different in our own ways, however, emotions are the path to the dark side.

HN

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #174503 by Hitira38

Hitira38 wrote: Cyan, we are all different in our own ways, however, emotions are the path to the dark side.

Be mindful of the force that surrounds you.

HN

More
9 years 4 months ago #174504 by Edan

Hitira38 wrote: Cyan, we are all different in our own ways, however, emotions are the path to the dark side.

To disconnect ourselves from our emotions I'm not sure is particularly sensible... love, compassion, even anger can be useful... it is from not being able to control our emotions that can create us problems.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
9 years 4 months ago #174505 by Hitira38
Surly you understand why you acted the way you did. With this in mind it is important to move past it, one shouldn't dwell on the past for too long.

HN

More
9 years 4 months ago #174527 by Cyan Sarden

Edan wrote:

To disconnect ourselves from our emotions I'm not sure is particularly sensible... love, compassion, even anger can be useful... it is from not being able to control our emotions that can create us problems.

Agreed - suppressing emotions in general is never a solution. Recognizing emotions before they take over and then deciding wether to let them or not is what I'm trying to master.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

More
9 years 4 months ago #174529 by Cyan Sarden

Hitira38 wrote: Surly you understand why you acted the way you did. With this in mind it is important to move past it, one shouldn't dwell on the past for too long.

Yes - the past doesn't exist, just as the future doesn't exist. Coming to this realization (which isn't an easy thing to achieve) is the way to happiness.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174563 by
Replied by on topic Advice needed: how to shut up.
Just stop talking. Pause, wait, pause, wait....practice this. There is no magic. You can do this when you decide too. Decide.

or and I so dislike quoting the movie...do or do not do there is no try.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174578 by
Angry is a reaction to a threat. People who get angry easily are usually very insecure (sorry). To change this you need to figure out what your core values are and change them to something that can't be threatened.

Examples of bad core values are valuing your wealth. People who value wealth fly off the handle at anything that threatens it. Other examples are religion, popularity, your attractiveness, being the smartest person in the room. Some people base their lives of off these things and they can all easily be threaten.

Good examples are self-improvement, courage, integrity, being really nice. These are things that nobody can ever take away from you. This will take some work. Meditation helps a lot with being able to truly understand were your thoughts and actions come from.

I avoid getting angry like the plague because when you let someone else make you angry you're giving them control over you and they're winning by doing it. Successful, powerful and happy people rarely ever get angry.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174602 by
You mentioned that you rarely get upset in the classroom, but can in social situations. This is a classic example of when you are in control of the situation you don’t have issues. As an instructor both in the military and corporate world I know that in a classroom setting, even when I don’t actively think about it, my brain reasons out my response to give the students what they need to further their training.

In social situations, that goal is not in mind and it is harder to be aware of what our response will or should be. A simple thing I sometimes do is turn away and cough into my elbow. It is innocuous, and insinuates neither aggression nor weakness. It also gives you a few socially acceptable seconds to “recover” from your cough and assess your response and calm your mind. Sometimes that may be all that is needed to temper your response.

MTFBWY

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174622 by Cyan Sarden

OwenShea wrote: You mentioned that you rarely get upset in the classroom, but can in social situations. This is a classic example of when you are in control of the situation you don’t have issues. As an instructor both in the military and corporate world I know that in a classroom setting, even when I don’t actively think about it, my brain reasons out my response to give the students what they need to further their training.

In social situations, that goal is not in mind and it is harder to be aware of what our response will or should be. A simple thing I sometimes do is turn away and cough into my elbow. It is innocuous, and insinuates neither aggression nor weakness. It also gives you a few socially acceptable seconds to “recover” from your cough and assess your response and calm your mind. Sometimes that may be all that is needed to temper your response.

MTFBWY

I think you're spot on about this. I think that I don't act impulsively in the classroom because:

- I'm the center of attention. If I explode, 22 other people will notice -> social pressure
- I know what I'm doing -> knowledge. I'm not insecure
- I'm the authority in the classroom

I know from some of my colleagues that losing any of these three (and it's in the nature of students to actively try to undermine all three of these, believe me :-) will eventually lead to your losing your temper and / or to burn-out.

To apply this to other social situations: I do lose my temper because of insecurity (lack of knowledge), because I feel that one-upmanship is beneficial (and it never is), because I don't have authority (fear). I've been actively working on this / practising responses, both in a controlled environment (meditation) and in non-explosive social situations. And I have to say, things have improved. I feel slightly more in control of my emotional responses now - but realise that I have a long way ahead of me.

Coughing in your sleeve sounds like an excellent way of gaining time to think - I could definitely see myself trying this next time.

Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Cyan Sarden.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi