Technology as a barrier to social interaction

More
9 years 6 months ago #167764 by Edan
I'm talking about offline rather than online.

A common thing I see is people sitting or standing in places where they're supposed to be 'people facing'.. but they're actually staring at their phone. I find it quite annoying when I'm trying to talk to someone but they're more interested in texting.

I generally think about it in the form of manners... but do you think that we (everyone we, not us Jedi we) are too 'involved' in technology and not enough in being conscious in everyday life?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, ren, Cyan Sarden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #167766 by Alexandre Orion
I feel that it is just another effect of post-post-modernism that hasn't been calibrated yet.

Have you ever been in a pub with friends where there is a telly on ? In the middle of conversation, one is still glancing at the screen, even if we're trying to be as attentive as possible to the company we're keeping. And if anyone says "I don't", then I'll ask you if it isn't a conscious effort to resist it, which - in that case - the attention is being taken up by the resistance.

;) ... don't worry ! It's not a "bad" thing ... we're only human.

We're just sort of attracted to it, and some portion of the attention is taken up by it. As it were, if the phone is on silent and vibrates when a text message arrives -- once I feel that, some little bit of my attention is taken up by wondering who it is, what they want and if it is urgent. I may keep most of my attention on my interlocutor, but some part of it is wandering off into telecommunications-land ...

We would probably do well to be more conscientious about how much influence our gadgets have on us, but essentially what is happening is the same thing as when, a 1000 years ago, we would be talking to someone, and someone else calls out our name from across the way. It calls out to us. It would be quite unnatural to take no notice of it. Only difference is, nowadays we carry many of our associates, acquaintances, friends and family in our pockets with us everywhere we go ...

As with everything else, there are benefits and drawbacks. :)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #167769 by

I generally think about it in the form of manners... but do you think that we (everyone we, not us Jedi we) are too 'involved' in technology and not enough in being conscious in everyday life?

Generally I agree but it's not the fault of technology.

A common thing I see is people sitting or standing in places where they're supposed to be 'people facing'.. but they're actually staring at their phone. I find it quite annoying when I'm trying to talk to someone but they're more interested in texting.

If a person is socially inept that doesn't change with technology. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #167770 by
One thing I've heard of groups doing (not my friends but other people I know do this) is when they go out everyone puts their phone in the center of the table. The first person to reach for their phone picks up the tab. If no one does then they just each pay their own tab. I kind of like it.

One of my favorite scenes from "Warm Bodies" is the main character's begining monologue when he's walking around the airport imagining what life must have been like before they were all zombies. He talks about being able to communicate and enjoy each others presence, but it shows everyone on their phone ignoring one another. I love that part.

More
9 years 6 months ago #167772 by steamboat28
Technology is good at giving people excuses. This may be social evolution, or it may be a minor blip of annoyance in human history. It's up to us to decide if we can merge IRL interaction with tech-induced-attention-deficit.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 6 months ago #167773 by Carlos.Martinez3
Balance shows us where our hearts lay...
If you watch and pay attention to some one long enough they will tell you everything about them , especially their actions. I have family (wife's mom dad kid brother sister)addicted to devises, totally absorbed in them. Most of my time is spent due to work on a devise. It is how we use these tools that define us. Are we as JEDI individually tied to a devise or screen, i hope not. I walk away from screens or devices every chance i get lol a conscious thing i do. I think we personally have to have our boundaries , good meditation subject toady! thanks EDAN!

Jay z daft punk..."she says im cold, all i do is text x's and o's...i got an i touch but i can not feel....every one will be, com -puter-ized.."

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #167786 by
Honestly, for a person like me, an introvert, technology is a blessing. To chat and discuss... I could never do these things in person. In this way I am able to think for as long as I need to about what I'm going to say.

More
9 years 6 months ago #167797 by Edan

Streen wrote: Honestly, for a person like me, an introvert, technology is a blessing. To chat and discuss... I could never do these things in person. In this way I am able to think for as long as I need to about what I'm going to say.

I agree .... I was more thinking about technology 'out in the real world' if you know what I mean.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #167981 by
I mostly agree that it is a transitional behaviour issue... Our tech has surpassed the human, and our behaviours are in catch-up mode.

In understanding the ease with which - squirrel - we can lose focus, it actually can be kind of amusing to see how inattentive people can be...

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 6 months ago #167986 by Jestor
Seldom do people want to be where they are...

I am on my phone A LOT....

But, only when I'm bored... (which is a lot, lol)...

I don't browse while I'm sitting across having a conversation...

I will glance if my phone chirps, and may even send a quick response, but its no worse than a person interrupting to ask a quick question... I won't carry on a text conversation however....

I browse while I watch TV, when I am in the doctor's waiting room, situations like that.....

Its a time killer....

Is it abused? Of course... So is the Vick Inhaler thing...

But, as Jedi, we should be focused on the NOW... If it distracts from the world around us, then it could be "bad", lol...

Here's some folks from times gone by, not wanting to be where they are, and filling their heads with knowledge, playing games, and generally ignoring each other, lol..

Attachment h58c8e58.jpg not found

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, , ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi