"Us vs Them": A Simple Recipe to Prevent Strong Society from Forming

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164928 by

RyuJin wrote: This is already happening in numerous places....ukraine, isis, korea, etc....

Yeah. ISIL is about as close to a real dark side threat as we have, and it's not far off from the Sith of myth. What's worse is that their message not only resonates with religious extremists, but also with the anti-establishment crowd as well. Any rebel without a cause can certainly find one there. At least, that's what they promise. Brotherhood and the support of a deity to combat the powers that be that are holding them down. The people attracted to them are not very different in their mindset than those that join inner city gangs. The weak minded are easily swayed by the dark side promising glory and power, and while their destructive ideology might not find support in small pockets of the Muslim community forever, it will continue to take root elsewhere until someone brings balance. The Us and Them, The Others mentality, will continue to overshadow conflicts until someone does something.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #164930 by Br. John

carlos.martinez3 wrote: Br jon, my sympathies for the loss of your loved one. The way he passed is very unfortunate too. I hope you are doing well with coping with your loss. My gma told me one time, its ok to cry if your sad, especially when love is involved. So it is ok to cry for your loss. The idea that follows is all to larger of a beast that could ever be tamed. The way i see it, we as individuals should shine our light.. on us. We should make the change from within. I do appreciate this insight and thank you for the sharing of it as it is near to you personally. I can say for myself i will consider the them and us in my life and identify them but what to do with them and how to better deal with the at hand delema i may have to meditate a bit more on.
CARLOS

Thank you but I did not write the article. It's by James Rohrer and appeared in Alternet.org about two years ago. My Mother passed away three months ago and you're right about crying when you feel like it. Only the first part of the article is posted so if you (or anyone) did not follow the link you did not see all of it.

Founder of The Order

More
9 years 6 months ago #164931 by Carlos.Martinez3
ohh ok sorry bout that one my bad. i dont like links lol . question then, once identified then what? most of the problem i find in my life is identifying the problems. this one is fairly easy but...what to do with them now, any recommendations?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164961 by
A good place to start once you try to overcome the "us vs them" mentality would be to accept that we all have to share this world together and, given that, we should do our utmost to get along as best as possible. The first part of getting along with others is trying to understand them and to empathise with them by understanding that they are just a human like you trying to live their life, with all the benefits and baggage that it comes with.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 6 months ago #165000 by ren
It seems relevant in light of recent developments at totjo....
However "us vs them" isn't necessarily bad. Nazi germany achieved quite a lot by creating a strong "us" (the superior people) and demonizing a "them" (the inferior people). the "us" slavers used "them" slaves to build ancient rome, ancient greece, ancient egypt, and the USA. The cold war ruined many parts of the world, but also gave us a lot of new technology, the space race, etc.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165005 by
It depends on how much the "us vs them" is taken to heart. In Mahayana Buddhism the teachings are often split between what is "Conventional Truth" and "Ultimate Truth". The Ultimate truth of something is like saying that all words and language are metaphors, but the conventional truth is that in our everyday lives we still need to use words and language.

Similarly I believe that the Ultimate Truth of the universe is that we are all "One" through the Force, but the conventional truth is that I am a Jedi and someone else is a Buddhist and so forth...

What matters, for better or worse, is how much importance we treat the boundaries of the "us vs them".

More
9 years 6 months ago #165014 by Carlos.Martinez3
Honestly i dont think i want to overcome it just understand it, i have to live in this world regardless but i feel if i better understand it i can learn to live with it. the us and them is very much a acute way of saying us four no more in my mind and i have found that kind of mentality not becoming or us full at times. im not saying that the ecocomunical movement is profitable too im just trying to find my personal balance in life and my path.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
9 years 6 months ago #165024 by rugadd
I think mistakes happen when something that is being used to describe a person gets mixed up with showing why they are not someone else. They are intending to show who they are but have offered it in such a way as to limit or regulate another person's idea of themselves(To their face, without permission). That is where the terrible frustration spark ignites.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165034 by

Akkarin wrote: The first part of getting along with others is trying to understand them and to empathise with them by understanding that they are just a human like you trying to live their life, with all the benefits and baggage that it comes with.

The Dalai Lama says that a truly compassionate attitude toward others does not change even if they behave negatively. You develop the wish to help them actively overcome their problems. I think that this is the best way we overcome the "Thems" of this world. Unfortunately, some don't want help. That's where the difference between Ultimate and Conventional Truth that you mentioned is.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 6 months ago #165064 by Brenna
Them vs us. Absolutely. And Im with Ren on this one. Pops up in our community far more than it should.

but also,

Blind trust and not educating yourself.

If my doctor suggests something, I look into it myself first no matter what.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135