"Us vs Them": A Simple Recipe to Prevent Strong Society from Forming

More
9 years 6 months ago #164815 by Br. John
By James Rohrer

http://www.alternet.org/print/belief/us-vs-them-simple-recipe-prevent-strong-society-forming

My Uncle Richard did not need to die prematurely. He was a victim of the most relentless killer the world has ever known: Us and Them. This assassin can slay victims in countless ways. In my uncle’s case, it looked like either a stroke or medical malpractice. But it really was Us and Them.

Richard had left our Appalachian family farm at the tag end of the Great Depression. He moved to a big city in New York, got a job with a rising company, and soon he became management. He made a bundle, joined a country club, had a good life, but got burned out. When I was about ten years old, he decided to take early retirement and move back home to the farm. He wanted out of the city, out of the rat race, and back to nature. Soon after he returned, he went to our local small town doctor for a physical exam. He felt fine. But the doctor told him that he needed immediately to stop taking a medication that his family physician in New York had prescribed. Uncle Richard derisively ignored the advice. His New York doctor was an old friend—a member of the country club in fact—while the small town doctor was a refugee from the Soviet Union. This was during the Cold War, when most Americans imagined that nothing in the Soviet Union could possibly be up to American standards, and certainly not medical training. The last time I ever saw my Uncle, he was fuming about the “damned Russkie.” “Can you imagine the nerve of that damned Russkie, thinking he knows more than my doctor?”

Two weeks later Uncle Richard was dead. The coroner’s report made it clear: he should have listened to the Russkie.

My uncle was not particularly stubborn or foolish. He was just being human. We humans are by nature social creatures, even the most introverted of us, and we tend to trust and follow the thinking of the groups with which we identify. Some of these groups are small and select, like the country club or the gals we meet at the bar every Wednesday night. Others groups are bigger but still rather specific, like Orlando Magic fans or the members of the ACLU. Still others are larger yet, “imagined communities” like America or Great Britain. Others are transnational, like Christianity or Islam (also imagined communities). Our groups define “us” and exert powerful influence on how we think, even how we feel, and how we behave in society.

Please continue reading at http://www.alternet.org/print/belief/us-vs-them-simple-recipe-prevent-strong-society-forming .

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #164899 by Br. John
No comments?

Founder of The Order

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #164905 by J_Roz
I was not sure how to comment. I think people get stuck going the safe way and in the end it can really cause damage and in the story's case death. My father taught me to always ask why. To question everything and to never just blindly trust the status quo. It's not a conspiracy if it's true sort of thing...

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by J_Roz.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164906 by
We're seeing this phenomenon become more and more mainstream and we're seeing these imagined communities spring up faster and faster around different issues because of how quickly we can all communicate. This is one of the main reasons I think the next great conflict of this world will not be between countries but between ideologies. This is also why I feel that a more serious form of the Jedi Order is long overdue. A group of people who can devote their lives to bridging gaps and ensuring peace in more than just a philosphical sense is much needed.

More
9 years 6 months ago #164908 by Alexandre Orion
As per Roz, I wasn't sure what to comment either, John.

It is very similar to a conversation that I was having with a friend, an Iranian violinist, the other day ...

... Us/Them is such an insidious thing about our cultural conditioning, so deeply installed in our basic 'common senses' that it is hard to recognise. The choices that it makes 'evident' seem to even be very 'logical' and 'objective' ones. We can't really wish it away or resist it -- only be aware of it and choose differently when we are able ...

Logic, however, is not at all universal (Sapir-Wharf, 1949 ; Kaplan, 1966). This isn't a matter of roughly biased discrimination - it is twisted into our thought patterns so tightly that it would be very hard to un-do.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 6 months ago #164910 by Jestor
Makes me think of Watts' "Black and White"...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164913 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: Logic, however, is not at all universal (Sapir-Wharf, 1949 ; Kaplan, 1966). This isn't a matter of roughly biased discrimination - it is twisted into our thought patterns so tightly that it would be very hard to un-do.

Exactly why there needs to be at least a few people on this planet who can set themselves apart and not get caught up in the things that divide these imagined communities so that peace can be maintained before things get too polarized.

Also, as a linguist, I appreciate the citation of linguistic studies and theories :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #164914 by Carlos.Martinez3
Br jon, my sympathies for the loss of your loved one. The way he passed is very unfortunate too. I hope you are doing well with coping with your loss. My gma told me one time, its ok to cry if your sad, especially when love is involved. So it is ok to cry for your loss. The idea that follows is all to larger of a beast that could ever be tamed. The way i see it, we as individuals should shine our light.. on us. We should make the change from within. I do appreciate this insight and thank you for the sharing of it as it is near to you personally. I can say for myself i will consider the them and us in my life and identify them but what to do with them and how to better deal with the at hand delema i may have to meditate a bit more on.
CARLOS

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 6 months ago #164926 by RyuJin
The more I watch commercials the more I ask "why?" ....everything is a disorder, everything has a medicine to fix it, every medicine has side effects worse than what they treat...it's always unfortunate when the worst happens...

I never look at the world as an "us vs. them"....for me (depending upon my mood) it's either me vs. the world or more often me vs. no one...sometimes bad things happen, dwelling on them won't undo them, it won't change them, it won't make you feel better just worse...that's when being able to let go really comes in handy...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 6 months ago #164927 by RyuJin

Oneiros wrote: We're seeing this phenomenon become more and more mainstream and we're seeing these imagined communities spring up faster and faster around different issues because of how quickly we can all communicate. This is one of the main reasons I think the next great conflict of this world will not be between countries but between ideologies. This is also why I feel that a more serious form of the Jedi Order is long overdue. A group of people who can devote their lives to bridging gaps and ensuring peace in more than just a philosphical sense is much needed.

This is already happening in numerous places....ukraine, isis, korea, etc....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi