This Week In Science

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139893 by
Replied by on topic This Week In Science
HYBRID CAR RUNS ON AIR

http://www.iflscience.com/sites/www.iflscience.com/files/styles/ifls_large/public/blog/%5Bnid%5D/hybrid1.jpg?itok=sH26-S23

Hybrid air sounds a bit worrying – just what are they proposing to cut our air with? It's actually a technology that allows a car to run on compressed air with gasoline back-up for longer journeys and high speeds. Peugeot are about start mass production.

Compressed air is a way of storing energy with some advantages over traditional batteries, including the capacity to release more power in a short amount of time for quick acceleration, less toxic materials and longer lifetimes for storage vessels. However, there are disadvantages as well, particularly that the power released tends to be much higher when fully charged, and adapting to this can be a challenge.

Rather than charging the batteries up at a power-point, a pump compresses air into a storage tank within the car. As the air is released the energy of expansion is captured to drive the car. Peugeot estimate their cars will do 2.9 l/100km, releasing just 69g CO2/km, when they hit the market next year. The EU standard for 2021 is 95g CO2/km. By then Peugeot expect to have improved performance by almost 50%, to 2 L/100km or 117 MPG.

Part of the secret is the control system that chooses the best combination of petrol power and compressed gas under the circumstances, running on air below 70kph and internal combustion at high speeds. Like other hybrids brake energy regeneration stores energy when coming to a stop to use when driving again.

With hybrid cars that run on batteries now dominating some markets and sales of electric cars and plug-in hybrids reaching the hundreds of thousands it is possible that compressed air has left its run too late. However, Peugeot claim their first versions, using the Citroën C3 and Peugeot 208 models, will sell for less than existing hybrids.

- See more at: http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-hybrid-car-runs-air#sthash.NZQKNVDv.dpuf

Source- http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-hybrid-car-runs-air
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #139911 by

Khaos wrote: HYBRID CAR RUNS ON AIR

Source- http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-hybrid-car-runs-air

I think I just had a nerdgasm...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140025 by

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #140079 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic This Week In Science
Revive and Restore?

Is anyone else already having Jurassic Park flashbacks?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140148 by

Brenna wrote: Revive and Restore?

Is anyone else already having Jurassic Park flashbacks?

Haha, I wish. Imagine having one for a pet (just a little one... it couldn't be much more dangerous than having a pet snake???) Sadly, the science of Jurassic Park was a bit of a stretch. DNA degrades too quickly to preserve anything sensible from millions of years ago.

They'd probably be working on more recently extinct animals. I wonder if they're thinking about attempting to revive the Tassie Tiger DNA? That would be cool.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #140449 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic This Week In Science
COOL!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/3dprinted-electronic-glove-could-help-keep-your-heart-beating-for-ever-9166004.html

"Scientists have created a revolutionary new electronic membrane that could replace pacemakers, fitting over a heart to keep it beating regularly over an indefinite period of time.

The device uses a “spider-web-like network of sensors and electrodes” to continuously monitor the heart’s electrical activity and could, in the future, deliver electrical shocks to maintain a healthy heart-rate."

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140541 by

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140571 by
I remember watching that TED talk a long while ago now. It's on the site somewhere :dry:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140608 by
DOCTORS HAVE CLEARED SECOND BABY OF HIV

Scientists have managed to repeat one of the biggest medical breakthroughs of the last few years.

Almost exactly one year ago, Johns Hopkins researchers made national headlines when they announced that they’ve vanquished the AIDS-causing virus from a child born to an HIV-positive mother in Mississippi. They began antiretroival treatment before the baby was 30 hours old. She’s now 3.5 years old and still virus-free, even without treatment in the last two years. Researchers have puzzled over how it happened, and many remain skeptical. The child was only the second person ever to be “cured” of HIV; the first was an adult through a stem-cell transplant. Since it’s difficult to prove that the body has been completely cleared of HIV, Nature explains, being “functionally cured” means the virus is effectively controlled and the immune system stays healthy without treatment.

Just yesterday, doctors announced that they have cleared the virus from a second baby infected with HIV. This girl was born in Los Angeles last April to a mother with advanced AIDS who had not been taking her medication. With aggressive treatment beginning just four hours after her birth, the virus was undetectable within 11 days, the New York Times reports.

Doctors don’t normally use these sorts of aggressive treatments until they’re sure the baby is infected, and then sometimes not in the first weeks, NY Times explains. “Of course I had worries,” says Audra Deveikis from Miller Children’s Hospital. “But the mother’s disease was not under control, and I had to weigh the risk of transmission against the toxicity of the meds.”

Johns Hopkins’ Deborah Persaud, who led the ultrasensitive testing on both children, says that the Los Angeles baby's signs are different from what doctors see in patients whose infections are merely suppressed by successful treatment. Even though tests suggest the child (now nine months old) has completely cleared the virus, she’s still receiving a 3-drug cocktail -- so using the words “cured” or even “in remission” is wrong, Persaud says.

"Really the only way we can prove that we have accomplished remission in these kids is by taking them off treatment,” Persaud adds, “and that's not without risk.” There might be five more cases of “cured” children in Canada and three in South Africa.

Most HIV-infected moms in the U.S. get medication during pregnancy to cut down the chances of passing the virus on to their babies. A clinical trial scheduled to begin in a couple months will put 60 babies, who are born infected, on drugs within their first two days. “The clinical trial that we’re about to start has specific criteria to stop therapy and to restart it if the virus comes back," says Yvonne Bryson of Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA, who consulted on the Los Angeles baby's care. Results from the trial will help doctors decide when to remove her from treatment.

The findings were announced at the Conference On Retroviruses And Opportunistic Infections in Boston this week.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/doctors-have-cleared-second-baby-hiv#VhKWOAM3D4ohJcPD.99

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/doctors-have-cleared-second-baby-hiv [url][/url]
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #143667 by
THE FIREFLY TIME LAPSE

Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi