This Week In Science

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135911 by
Replied by on topic This Week In Science
The source I used was from Gizmodo, but just do a quick search on the internet about "blood cells into stem cells" and you will get a bunch.

Heres the one I used...

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-use-acid-to-turn-blood-cells-into-stem-cells-1511506552?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Here is another with video...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/01/29/268171016/a-little-acid-turns-mouse-blood-into-brain-heart-and-stem-cells

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135912 by
By all means, if you find differing, contradicting, or more information that I cant please post it. I myself am using this thread as more a way to explore the positive effects science and technology effect our lives everyday.

Science, is one of the few things that keep me humble and leave me in awe of what we as a species are capable of.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136256 by

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136766 by
BIONIC HAND GIVES AMPUTEE REAL-TIME SENSATION

http://www.iflscience.com/sites/www.iflscience.com/files/styles/ifls_large/public/blog/%5Bnid%5D/lifehand2.jpg?itok=RX9ZuNCl

Each year in the United States 150,000 people will have a limb amputated. It can be particularly devastating to lose a hand, due to the incredible amount of sensory information received from them. Bionic prosthetics are a hot area of research right now as these devices seek to replicate the function of the hand as much as possible. A new prototype arm prosthetic is not only able to help hold things but is actually able to transmit sensory data to the user in real time. The creation of the device was a large international collaboration led by Silvestro Micera and the results were published in Science Translational Medicine.

Dennis Aabo Sørenson from Denmark lost the lower portion of his left arm nine years ago during an accident involving fireworks on New Year’s Eve. Now 36 years old, Sørenson gained a renewed sense of touch in a clinical trial, thanks to a new bionic prosthetic. At the onset of a trial, doctors were initially worried that his nerves would not work since they had been out of use for nearly a decade. Fortunately, preliminary testing showed that they were still functional and sensitive.

The prosthetic device, called LifeHand 2, builds off of the first generation LifeHand device which was the first thought-controlled bionic prosthetic to have rudimentary touch feedback and was successfully tested in 2009. This next-generation device is covered in sensors that interpret information based on the movement of the artificial tendons. The sensors are connected to four electrodes that actually tap in to Sørenson’s nervous system at the base of his natural arm. Complex computer algorithms were developed to translate the rough electrical signals into a more refined impulses that could be processed by the human brain without overloading it with sensory input.

Surgery was performed in January 2013 in Rome as a host of neurologists and surgeons oversaw the implantation of the electrodes. Over the course of nearly three weeks, tests were performed on the electrodes to ensure that they were functioning and communicating with Sørenson’s brain properly. This also allowed the team to discover what changes, if any, would occur once scar tissue began to form around the implants. There was no change in function as the scarring set in, much to the delight of the researchers.

For the next week, Sørenson was connected to the hand for extensive testing. The greatest success came when he was blindfolded with headphones in and was asked to identify objects just through touch. He described the sensory feedback as “incredible” and was able to identify the shape and hardness of the item -- something he had not been able to do in many years.

Unfortunately, due to regulations for clinical trials, Sørenson was only able to have the electrodes implanted for one month. The researchers feel confident that the electrodes could have remained in place for a number of years without adverse effects. Sørenson’s normal prosthetic reacts to muscle movement in his upper arm and can grip objects. However, it does not have sensory feedback which makes pressure control difficult at times. Amputees endure a large amount of psychological trauma at the loss of limb, function, and sensory input, and the research team realizes he will have to go through that loss all over again after the brief resurgence of a sense of touch. However, he reports that he was happy to help in the technological advance not just for his sake, but for all amputees who will benefit as a result of the study.

Due to the nature of the LifeHand 2 bionic prosthetic, it will still be a number of years before it will be approved for commercial use. In the meantime, researchers will continue to advance the technology, making smaller versions of the sensors that are more finely tuned and adding greater dexterity in the fingers.

Check out this video of the the LifeHand 2 in action:

[url] http://www.iflscience.com/technology/bionic-hand-gives-amputee-real-time-sensation#sthash.vU8si6sI.dpuf[/rl][/url]

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136794 by

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137270 by

More
10 years 2 months ago #137671 by Lykeios Little Raven

Khaos wrote:

Anyone know where those human footsteps were found? Lol.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #137698 by
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/02/140207-ancient-human-footprints-outside-africa-england-anthropology-science/

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #139260 by
HUMAN LUNG GROWN IN LAB!

Don't reach for the cigarettes yet, but human lungs have been created in the lab for the first time.

The reason you need to keep taking care of your current lungs is that the creation, while a big step forward, still leaves us a long way from being able to replace a malfunctioning organ. Perhaps unsurprisingly, construction of something so complex lags behind replacement tracheas , the second recipient of which is still alive five years after the operation.

As with most organs, lung transplants are currently hampered both by the shortage of suitable donations and the body's immune response to anything it considers foreign. Artificial lungs built using cells from the recipient's own body would avoid the former problem and reduce the latter if not eliminating it entirely.

The lungs were created at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) using surviving tissue from badly damaged lungs of two children who had died. Cells from one lung were placed on a scaffolding of collagen and elastin left behind when most of the material of the other lung had been stripped.

After four weeks immersed in a nutritional liquid a lung was produced that is softer and less dense than normal human lungs. It's also a long way from being ready to be transplanted into a human body. The lung responds when air is pumped in, but it's still unknown whether it would work in a human body. "My students will be doing the work when I'm old and retired and can't hold a pipette anymore," says team leader Professor Joan Nichols, predicting it will be more than a decade before the work will save lives. Successful transplantation into animals will be required before anyone can even think about working on humans.

Still, progress is faster than it might have been. Growing the tissue was taking months until one of the student members of the team, Michael Riddle, created equipment that would accelerate the process out of an aquarium he bought at a pet store and worked on at home.

Even if artificial lungs are a long way off, the work may help speed progress on other organs. “In terms of different cell types, the lung is probably the most complex of all organs — the cells near the entrance are very different from those deep in the lung,” says UTMB's Dr Joaquin Cortiella.

Long before the first human recipient gets a lung made from their own cells grown on an artificial scaffold the work may produce superior testing grounds for disease treatments. “If we can make a good lung for people, we can also make a good model for injury,” said Dr. Nichols. “We can create a fibrotic lung, or an emphysematous lung, and evaluate what’s happening with those, what the cells are doing, how well stem cell or other therapy works. We can see what happens in pneumonia, or what happens when you’ve got a hemorrhagic fever, or tuberculosis, or hantavirus — all the agents that target the lung and cause damage in the lung.”
- See more at: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/artificial-lung-grown-laboratory#sthash.8pjKvrbN.dpuf

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #139459 by

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi