Non-Conformity...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #157398 by
Replied by on topic Non-Conformity...
When I think of conformity I think of the ancient Sufis who talked about learning to wear the garment of the law without and the Mystic's garment within. I think that means knowing that living in a society is all falsehood in its ultimate expression but playing the game in the spirit of sportsmanship; like a tennis match, it wouldn't be very fun if both players weren't sincerely trying their best to win, but that doesn't mean you have to take it so seriously, it is only a game after all. It is like what Ryujin said, there are masks we take on and off to achieve various ends but it is only when we identify our self with the mask that conformity can threaten us. Rules and routines and other tools of conformity are only as useful as you are willing to break them.

I also remember the Bodhisattvas when I think about conformity, who achieve enlightenment and have the right to all the glories of Heaven but choose to come back to teach and lead by example so that others may attain that same liberating experience, even they know that means placing themselves back into the illusion of duality, the world of fear and desire and suffering.

No one is totally their self 100%, our minds won't let our bodies have that much control over us, and vice versa.

Lol, hipsters :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #157399 by

RyuJin wrote: I know a part of me dies each time I'm forced to follow...

Part of me would die if I could never follow.

Habitual non-conformity is no better than habitual conformity, either way it's allowing the prevailing attitude to dictate your behaviour, for or against.

The free mind does what it thinks best on-the-fly. It conforms to that which conforms to it, and deviates from that which does not. Anything else is unreasoning and passive, "sheep-mode" whether conforming or otherwise.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #157406 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Non-Conformity...

RyuJin wrote: A thought came to mind...

To be, or not to be...that, IS the question...whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to go quietly...

Conformity or non conformity, which will it be? Is it better to not conform and suffer the effects of social ostracism, or to conform peacefully...

It depends whether society has something to offer you (that you want/need or that you are made to want/need).

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #157408 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Non-Conformity...
I think we'd all have a tendency to be non-conformist if we found ourselves on a Jedi path :ohmy:

Is it harder for extrovert's to be non-conformist? As an introvert I wonder, because introvert's might perhaps tend to feel excess, or prefer to avoid the, influence of others. It might not be related directly, as a group's alpha would not be constrained by that I guess, but the other members of the extrovert group perhaps?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #157423 by

RyuJin wrote: I know a part of me dies each time I'm forced to follow....

tzb wrote: Part of me would die if I could never follow.

...two very profound and meaningful statements that bring refreshing clarity to the conversation. That we all, perhaps, in some way or another, experience great sacrifice or sense of belonging when faced with choices to conform...that require something more of us in order to fully inhabit the present moment.

A struggle of compromise, of balance.

ren wrote: To be honest I'm thinking some people may be in fact genuine by being conformist... It would seem some simply are incapable of thought without a social influence to conform to.

Truth.

ren wrote: To go back to conformism and esssence, I think it may be that some people cannot have their own essence and simply have a "share " of "group essence".

I feel this may be what tzb was referring to?

Nothing should resonate more loudly than our own intuitions, but maybe a fraction of "group essence" is a small part of our intuitions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #157432 by
Hear's another angle..is being in tune and harmony with the living force conformaty?
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #157436 by

Rickie The Grey wrote: Hear's another angle..is being in tune and harmony with the living force conformaty?

It is my opinion that in order to achieve this you have to move beyond any concept like conformity and just be.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #157440 by

Psyddhattha wrote:

Rickie The Grey wrote: Hear's another angle..is being in tune and harmony with the living force conformaty?

It is my opinion that in order to achieve this you have to move beyond any concept like conformity and just be.

I agree. In a very real sense when we are in harmony the Force conforms to us as much as we to it, because at the deepest level of reality there is no separation between us and it.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #157442 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Non-Conformity...

The real question is whether it is possible for anything NOT to be in tune and harmony with the Force. It seems obvious however that everything within the Force would have to conform to the ways of the Force. Those things that do not conform are those things that do not exist (within it).

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan,

More
9 years 8 months ago #157490 by Llama Su
Replied by Llama Su on topic Non-Conformity...
I have not been following the thread as much as I would like...

I heard conformity is wrong, mainly and simply because followers typically follow other followers and around and around they go, never questioning the one who leads....

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it’s conformity.” — Rollo May

At least on an intellectual basis of social, economic, and political thought.

On the sub atomic quantum level of all, I can agree, that impersonally everything is grounded in the harmony and balance being in tune with of the Force...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi