The Secret of Secrets.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186689 by steamboat28

RyuJin wrote: always be wary of a..."master" claiming some secret knowledge....a good teacher holds no secrets from their students...

I'm going to disagree with this (edited, more expanded) version of this statement. I have trained a lot of people in my (non-martial-arts) "job" and I have, and will always hold secrets from them if they are not ready to handle them. It keeps them safe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186690 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic The Secret of Secrets.
When training my students, I do not share advance techniques until they master the basic and then intermediate ones.

But is that keeping a secret?

rugadd

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186691 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic The Secret of Secrets.

rugadd wrote: When training my students, I do not share advance techniques until they master the basic and then intermediate ones.

But is that keeping a secret?

Some of my former trainees would say so. They've started screaming arguments about it.

As much crap as I talk about Obi-Wan being a lying sack of creepy hermit, he knew when not to say things. He really did. He's like an anti-Hagrid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186692 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic The Secret of Secrets.
there's a difference between withholding something out of responsibility and keeping a secret to maintain superiority...

on one of the ocassions that i've taught i taught everything i knew and the student wasn't responsible enough for some of the techniques which caused more harm than good....i learned my lesson...make sure the student is ready for what you teach them...the few others i've taught i kept that lesson in mind and withheld certain techniques...i did tell them that i was going to do so until they were ready....i didn't keep any secret from them....i did withhold some techniques from them....big difference...

some instructors keep secrets from their students out of some misguided fear that the student will take said secret and take business from the instructor...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J_Roz, Alexandre Orion, , Tarran, OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #186693 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The Secret of Secrets.
--edit ryujin beat me to it! lol

everybody doesnt need to know how to do all the super saiyen ninja death moves

even with like just a thread on the internet there are some things that dont really need to be said (especially on the internet actually)

the flip side is that for some people, secrecy is really more about feeling important and powerful than being something done as a result of any kind of genuine respect (for anyone other than themelves i mean)

so the challenge is to be aware of these things in ourselves

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186701 by Carlos.Martinez3
I defiantly concur with the collected here

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #186746 by
Replied by on topic The Secret of Secrets.

RyuJin wrote: there's a difference between withholding something out of responsibility and keeping a secret to maintain superiority...

on one of the ocassions that i've taught i taught everything i knew and the student wasn't responsible enough for some of the techniques which caused more harm than good....i learned my lesson...make sure the student is ready for what you teach them...the few others i've taught i kept that lesson in mind and withheld certain techniques...i did tell them that i was going to do so until they were ready....i didn't keep any secret from them....i did withhold some techniques from them....big difference...

some instructors keep secrets from their students out of some misguided fear that the student will take said secret and take business from the instructor...

I couldn't say it better. B)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi