Connor is back

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153655 by
Connor is back was created by
Hi!

I am back from Germany. :) Will be continuing my studies and getting involved (again) in the clergy and in discussions.

Thanks,
Connor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #153661 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Connor is back
Welcome back, lad ...

:)

Did you have a good trip ?

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #153663 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Connor is back
Hello again Connor...

Good to see you...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 8 months ago #153667 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Connor is back
:D
Welcome back

Also, I was hoping for a bit more of a detailed response than just "Germany was amazing"

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153673 by
Replied by on topic Connor is back

Alexandre Orion wrote: Welcome back, lad ...

:)

Did you have a good trip ?

Yes I did!

Hi Jestor!

In order to appease Brenna, I'll do a write up!

So, here's how it went down.

It actually starts before I get to Germany. I had this amazing experience in New York City reuniting with an old friend. We talked about how she misses the ESP experiments we did when we were teens. And, she wants to rekindle that fire and energy. So, we're going to begin meditating together. Should be interesting!

When I got to Germany, we had about a week to relax and see Munich. So, one day we went to the pretty city and shop. My mother bought things, but I'm not a huge shopper, so I just tagged along. There is this really awesome clock in the middle of town that is basically an ENORMOUS coo-koo clock. And, when it is 5 PM every day, there is a huge dancing contraption that looks like "It's a Small World" ride from Disneyland. It was pretty cool. The next day we went to Neuschwanstein, which is a castle built by King Ludwig II. Ludwig was a big fan of Wagner, and the castle was kind of a tribute to him... so, it was really awesome to see all these references to Wagner operas.

That day with the castles, I had to walk up a mile and a half (much more difficult at a 30 degree angle, mind you) to get to Neuschwanstein. And, I was sweating a lot, but you get a ton of perspective at the top... seeing the world beneath you stretching out endlessly. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

The next day we went to Austria! It was mostly just some more sightseeing and shopping. There were a couple of "rest"ful days where we either did things in town or I basically hunkered down in the gym/spa.

Week 2 begins with some travel. We went to this little town to see a client of my father's. I can't remember the village's name, but it was just your average quaint village! We had lunch with them and then continued onward to Sankt Goar, where the real fun begins.

So, in Sankt Goar, you have basically one street. This street runs parallel to the Rhein. And, as you go towards the back of the city, it branches off to a road you can take up the hill. At the top of this tall hill, there is the Schloss Rheinfels (a big castle). Now, you might be thinking, "cool, they have a castle in the city!" Nope... we had THREE. And, one I could see out my window at night...

It's pretty incredible to think about it. And, the scenery is just the start. The actual living quarters were something else.

A mix of good and bad, but really neither. The villa was this mansion (European style, so tall, not wide) with 4 floors. The house was restored from the early 1900s (pre-war, I believe). And, it was equipped with many of the modern things we like... like... plugs. lol. And nice showers. At the same time, though, we had the feel of an old Euro home. It was really fun because the breakfasts were provided, lunch was cooked by the faculty, and then we could explore the town for dinner (or cook ourselves). The professors of the music school lived in the same house with us, which made us grow really close to them in 2 weeks. Something you wouldn't get in America where the students and teachers lived separately.

I met some really amazing people while studying there. I met Gabrielle, a Harvard graduate who is working on her masters. I met Arelle, a 28 year old studying on her own. Jaime, a 40 year old professional choral singer working in Geneva. He's from Chile and was my roommate, an awesome dude. Francesa, a beautiful Italian girl who developed an affection towards me. Jonathon, a 65 year old British bass whose voice rumbled the earth! And, lastly, but not least, Kayoko, our beautiful 34 year old Japanese pianist. I charmed her with a little Japanese I know, and she and I stuck like glue.

We all devoted 5-8 hours a day working on our craft together. Listening, critiquing, leaning on each other... taking in the advice from the faculty. It was quite an amazing experience. At the end, I found out that I might not be the voice part I thought I was. I found myself singing higher and freer, so I might be Wagnerian Tenor! Who knows? Maybe Neuschwanstein was the Force's way of telling me to be ready for big things in the future.

To be honest, I was doubting that I would do music professionally in my life. But, after this trip, I can safely say I'm going to work my hardest to make it work.

We didn't do music the whole time, of course. One day, we climbed a mountain... Arelle, Francesca and I climbed this mountain (ok... walked up a footpath... :P Details... Oh, and it was more of a really big hill... or a VERYY small mountain. lol.) once we got to the top, we looked out over the Rhein and saw our village down below. We walked along the top of this hill and found out we had no water... so we spent 4 hours running around the mountain looking for water. When we failed, dehydrated, we came down the mountain slowly but surely. It was tiring, but fun!

In my personal life, I had some fights with my significant other. She and I had some differences of opinion, but we've moved past them. *disclaimer, maybe I didn't tell you, but I got myself a girlfriend... :P

Who doesn't have arguments now and again?

I guess that's about it! Unless you have specific questions, Brenna or anybody else. :)

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153675 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Connor is back
Urg. green with envy on all counts :S Its been almost two years since I was last in Europe and a teeny bit longer since I did residential intensives. sigh.

Im glad you had such an awesome (and productive) time

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153723 by
How is the job as a Financial Planner going?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153724 by
I'm not an FP. My father is. And, it's going well! I may or may not end up taking his office over. It depends on if my older brother gets to it first! Hahah. Needless to say, whoever takes my father's office over will be a very, very wealthy man. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153727 by
I thought you were working for your dad? Share the wealth both be wealthy, split the office with your brother 50/50 :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153728 by
Oh! Well, that wasn't a permanent thing since I've been in Germany for a month and all.

But, yeah, we'll see how it turns out. I may not end up doing the financial planning stuff till I'm done singing, which may not be for 10-20 years yet.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi