bullied

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

bullied 13 Mar 2010 03:48 #29230

:( I've being bullied. What should i do? Fight of not?

Re:bullied 13 Mar 2010 05:46 #29232

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
if possible avoid fighting, inform either parents,or teachers. you can also try avoiding where the bullies hang out...the first option should always be not to fight as fighting is a result of a communication breakdown...you can also try having a laugh at yourself if they try insulting you as this will give them the impression that what they are doing doesn't bother you(even though it may)...think about this, most bullies are cowards and/or feel weak which is why they pick on people smaller then them, others do so because they are arrogant and think that no one can do anything to stop them.

the choice to fight or not is entirely up to you, but always remember that every decision has a consequence as does every action, and you must be prepared to face the consequences otherwise why make the decision or take the action...
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanChing

Re:bullied 13 Mar 2010 12:14 #29239

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
RyuJin wrote:
if possible avoid fighting, inform either parents,or teachers. you can also try avoiding where the bullies hang out...the first option should always be not to fight as fighting is a result of a communication breakdown...you can also try having a laugh at yourself if they try insulting you as this will give them the impression that what they are doing doesn't bother you(even though it may)...think about this, most bullies are cowards and/or feel weak which is why they pick on people smaller then them, others do so because they are arrogant and think that no one can do anything to stop them.

the choice to fight or not is entirely up to you, but always remember that every decision has a consequence as does every action, and you must be prepared to face the consequences otherwise why make the decision or take the action...

Also, I might add.... Try talking to the bully one-on-one. Not surrounded by a group of others. I have actually used all of these and they do not all work for all situations. But, I have found that a one-on-one conversation actually works best. As does talking to a person you trust, and asking them to be a go-between.

And as Ryujin said, actual fighting is a last resort.

Good Luck...

-MTFBWU-
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Re:bullied 22 May 2010 20:06 #30857

To add onto 'if possible avoid fighting' let me tell you something. I myself used to be bullied. I was short and fat and that made me a target. The second I fought back though it started a sequence... Not only did the original bully want to fight me, but so did all of his friends. It came to a point where I was fighting almost every day just to protect myself. one day they all tried to jump me at once, they succeeded.I went to the hospital because they, and the rest of there gang, tried to kill me. I still believe it could have all been avoided, but once I balled my fists that first time I had already written the end of that chapter in my life.

Humor is the best way (In my oppinion) to stave of a bullies attacks/insults/etc. But I have to agree that you should try to talk to your bully in a one-on-one situation.

I know I'm just an initiate, but if you want to talk to me more personally because I've been through it myself, please send me a private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion

Re:bullied 23 May 2010 04:44 #30865

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
quite true, like you i know from experience that sometimes when you do fight back it only brings on more fights.... my first 3 years of school i was beat up 2-3 times a day everyday. after learning martial arts, the first time i defended myself successfully all the other trouble makers decided they wanted to fight me too which led to a lot more fights. over time people began leaving me alone...
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 11:00 #30969

I had a completely different experience in my childhood. I was bullied constantly by an individual on my street. One day, I decided I'd had enough and I drilled him right in the mouth. We scuffled for a bit and went our separate ways. Never got bullied by him again. Not saying it will always end up like that, but for the most part, bullies are looking for easy targets so don't be an easy target.

Sometimes violence is a last resort, sometimes it's a good deterrent.

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 14:25 #30971

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
welcome to totjo mindas,

very true most bullies do look for what they consider to be easy targets...and it's also true that violence should be a last resort but can sometimes be a good deterrent....there's an old saying:\"power perceived is power achieved\"....sometimes a display of firepower is enough to keep trouble at bay....look at the cold war....

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 18:28 #30979

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
Another Quote:

\"Violence may not be the best option, but it is still an option.....\"

and

\"It is not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up.....\"

and per Bruce Wayne's dad,

\"Why do we fall? To learn to pick ourselves up\"
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Solari

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 18:54 #30981

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
another would be: \" true strength is in getting back up one more time than you were knocked down\"

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 21:51 #30983

Some more would be:

\"Karate is about sente.\" - Choki Motobu (sente means striking first)
\"Walk softly and carry a big stick.\" - Teddy Roosevelt

And lastly, my favorite:
\"Those who say violence is a last resort haven't resorted to enough of it.\" - unknown

:laugh:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Is it possible to change so that you don't recogni... (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • In the case of the kid in the Reddit article, there were some definite positive changes - or at least all of the ones mentioned were the positive ones ... We don't get to hear about the negative aspects of those. This case is also that of a young adult looking back at himself as an adolescent ; adolescence is by Nature the time of transition from childhood to adulthood where, as far as one's self-image goes, it is in transformation. Transformation is motivated by crisis. Therefore - and to my mind (I'm no psychologist - nor do I believe that most of our behaviours are "disorders", regardless of how painful Life is), it is not surprising that one may not "recognise" oneself from adolescence to young adulthood. That recognition may return as Life experience adds up ... The question this raises for me is : despite the changes that we have undergone - whether they are the ones we wanted or not -, how many of us would recognise ourselves if, by some accident of Nature, we would meet ourselves in the street today ? I'm not so sure that this reposes so much on memory of how we were, but in "recognising" who we are now. Maybe ... :)
    • Britain to get a school for gay/bi/transgender stu... (Last post by Mica)
    • Quote: Quote: www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-37-spr...n-separate-effective Not negating your argument, Ren, Just thought I'd share an article that talks about what you are speaking on. I'm not sure what I think about gender separation (if you did that, based on this article's explanation of why it is a good idea, would you need to judge gender by physical attributes or by what the individual perceives themselves as? Or would the learning capabilities still be the same of their physical gender types?). Something I'm a bit curious about now. :) The only thing that I would think is a better method of teaching people is engaging in classes aimed at teaching in one of the three types of learning styles (you can find what yours is here www.educationplanner.org/students/self-a...ng-styles-quiz.shtml ). This stuff just sounds like douchebaggery to me, and is in no way related to what i was talking about. This being said the situation in the US probably is different and separation may not be needed, or needed for different reasons. I've looked around for english language info on this and what is heavily documented in other languages is completely absent in english. Quote: what the individual perceives themselves as I decided not to care in the slightest what people perceive themselves as. I care about what I see. If I see two legs, you're two legged, whether you think you have one or three. If my eyes deceive me, so be it. So far they've proven most reliable. I leave the pseudo-thinkers to their pseudo-thoughts. "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them." You should open your mind and accept that the assumptions you were probably raised in were never true for all people. Recently, a fellow transsexual woman I met in a Facebook group was arrested for marijuana possession. Rather than place her in a female cell block, the jail guards placed her in with the males. She demanded again and again to be placed with the females, where she would feel safe. She even pointed out to them that her gender had legally been changed. The guards told her, "the only proof we need of your gender is what we see between your legs." While in jail her feminine appearance made her a target for rape threats from the male inmates, and as a rape survivor she was psychologically traumatized by the experience. So your simple, gender binary, one-size-fits-all solution does not truly fit all, you see. How about instead of your eyes, when dealing with matters that affect people's health, you choose a more reliable sense to trust in, such as empathy?
    • agendas in science (Last post by ghost dog)
    • A boat was docked in a tiny Mexican fishing village. A tourist complimented the local fishermen on the quality of their fish and... asked how long it took to catch them. "Not very long" they answered in unison. "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" The fishermen explained that their small catches were sufficient to meet their needs and those of their families. "But what do you do with the rest of your time?" "We sleep late, fish a little, play with our children, and take siestas with our wives. In the evenings, we go into the village to see our friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs. We have a full life." The tourist interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat." "And after that?" "With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City!!! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise." "How long would that take?" "Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years." replied the tourist. "And after that?" "Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting," answered the tourist, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!" "Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fishermen. "After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends." "With all due respect sir, but that's exactly what we are doing now. So what's the point wasting twenty-five years?" asked the Mexicans. And the moral of this story is: Know where you're going in life, you may already be there! Many times in life, money is not everything. “Live your life before life becomes lifeless” :evil:
    • What's the difference between hunting and buying m... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • rugadd when I say "meant" I am refering to the fact that we are an organism which is composed of many inter related systems we are a sytem of systems living within a larger system which is in its turn also a system of systems within a larger system and so on and so forth when I say we are not meant to live seperated from the natural world I suppose the only answer I can give to the question "who says we're meant for anything" would be nature - god - the force - our own physiology what influences what? does the mind influence the body? does the body influence the mind? does kne necessarily lead and the other necessarily follow? if we ever decide that the mind/body dichotomy is essentially a myth that the idea of clear distinction between the two is just a way of speaking so.that ideas can be exchanged with convenience then within this very understanding we realize the importance of understanding and accepting the system that we are and respecting and working in harmony with the system that we are already biologically suited for without trying to INTEGRATE a philosophy of SEPERATION see what I mean? we are MEANT by nature and by God and by the Force to be a natural part of the natural world this doesnt mean we have to run around covered in dirt and eat bugs it just means that any attempts to seperate ourselves psychically/psychologically from our own organic heritage is counter productive to put it mildly
    • Small Acts of Self-Love (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Small Acts of Self-Love #4: Careful Not to "Should Yourself" I want to thank my therapist for giving me the idea for this one. We all have things we want in life, the things we want to accomplish in both the daily and the long term. These goals may be big or small, but whatever the case may be we don't always achieve them. One way in which we sabotage ourselves is the statements that involve "should" (i.e. I should have mailed those shoes out the other day but I forgot). Should-ing yourself can make you feel a lot of guilt, shame, and despair for things you "should have done" or the things you "should do". It's a dangerous cycle between feeling obligated to do something, not being able to do it, and then feelings like garbage because you didn't do it. This weeks challenge is to pay attention to the times that you use should and perhaps begin to change the language you use. Instead if "I should do XYZ" you can say, "I can do XYZ" which both encourages yourself and allows for the possibility that you may not be able to do it then and there. Be careful not to should yourself while not should-ing yourself (i.e. I should not use should).
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • I keep my talons sharp and my beak is not a decoration to fly to the highest point I must have the strongest wings that I can grow I am offended at the angels harp death is not my destination I have cut my arm off at the joint when the boulder did not let me go I know the taste of dirt I remember how to be afraid my belly does not forget the earth nor my back, the helplessnes bestowed by tyrants heel now my laghter mocks my hurt my life is worth the deaths ive paid I soar to home and heart and hearth I died to give myself this right, so none but me authority of this right to repeal
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Quote: I've never heard them sing it in English... 'du hast mich' has more emphasise with the original meaning (in my opinion!). I grew up in central Pennsylvania, so I heard both vesrions because some radio stations refused to play the German version on air. I agree that the origional has more meaning becuse the verse section of the song (du, du hast, du hast mich) is given great context by the chorus(willst du bis der.....) the whole thing is a play on the traditional German wedding vows and the lead singer by proclaiming "Nein" is giving the answer to the unanswered question refrenced in the verse. yes i know it's just a song but dang it bad translation bugs me. it's why i actually try to avoid Google Translate and have two different translations for the dub of my favorite anime. Perhaps they changed the meaning in the English translation because the play on words is lost on non-germans (unless you know the language and culture). I can read german reasonably well which is why I've never gone looking for translations..
    • Exercising Mercy, Effectively (Last post by Mica)
    • Thank you both! And yes, it's also good to consider how such a thing can scale up to be an action that takes place across an entire society, as well. To be firm, but forgiving, is an amazing thing. Judgement, yet Mercy.
    • The Vision of Knighthood (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Be a jedi in mind,body,and spirit Be a knight in mind,body,and spirit Be yourself in mind,body,and spirit Be a jedi knight yourself in mind,body,and spirit...
    • 2014 Year End Report (Last post by ren)
    • My bad I misread that. Should've known the numbers looked strange for a reason :P

There are 259 visitors, 5 guests and 25 members online (4  in chat): Daniel L., Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Lightstrider, Adder, Adhara, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, scott777ab, Arcade, Llama Su, elizabeth, Silvermane, Zenchi, jadedbehan, Jamie Stick, Calanon, Goken, Culla, Rocda, den385, Peej16870, Fenton, Sha Karn, Mica.

Follow Us