bullied

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

bullied 13 Mar 2010 03:48 #29230

:( I've being bullied. What should i do? Fight of not?

Re:bullied 13 Mar 2010 05:46 #29232

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
if possible avoid fighting, inform either parents,or teachers. you can also try avoiding where the bullies hang out...the first option should always be not to fight as fighting is a result of a communication breakdown...you can also try having a laugh at yourself if they try insulting you as this will give them the impression that what they are doing doesn't bother you(even though it may)...think about this, most bullies are cowards and/or feel weak which is why they pick on people smaller then them, others do so because they are arrogant and think that no one can do anything to stop them.

the choice to fight or not is entirely up to you, but always remember that every decision has a consequence as does every action, and you must be prepared to face the consequences otherwise why make the decision or take the action...
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current Apprentices: Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Baru

The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanChing

Re:bullied 13 Mar 2010 12:14 #29239

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
RyuJin wrote:
if possible avoid fighting, inform either parents,or teachers. you can also try avoiding where the bullies hang out...the first option should always be not to fight as fighting is a result of a communication breakdown...you can also try having a laugh at yourself if they try insulting you as this will give them the impression that what they are doing doesn't bother you(even though it may)...think about this, most bullies are cowards and/or feel weak which is why they pick on people smaller then them, others do so because they are arrogant and think that no one can do anything to stop them.

the choice to fight or not is entirely up to you, but always remember that every decision has a consequence as does every action, and you must be prepared to face the consequences otherwise why make the decision or take the action...

Also, I might add.... Try talking to the bully one-on-one. Not surrounded by a group of others. I have actually used all of these and they do not all work for all situations. But, I have found that a one-on-one conversation actually works best. As does talking to a person you trust, and asking them to be a go-between.

And as Ryujin said, actual fighting is a last resort.

Good Luck...

-MTFBWU-
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Brenna, Llama Su

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions." ~Dr. Alfred Lanning (I, Robot)

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

Re:bullied 22 May 2010 20:06 #30857

To add onto 'if possible avoid fighting' let me tell you something. I myself used to be bullied. I was short and fat and that made me a target. The second I fought back though it started a sequence... Not only did the original bully want to fight me, but so did all of his friends. It came to a point where I was fighting almost every day just to protect myself. one day they all tried to jump me at once, they succeeded.I went to the hospital because they, and the rest of there gang, tried to kill me. I still believe it could have all been avoided, but once I balled my fists that first time I had already written the end of that chapter in my life.

Humor is the best way (In my oppinion) to stave of a bullies attacks/insults/etc. But I have to agree that you should try to talk to your bully in a one-on-one situation.

I know I'm just an initiate, but if you want to talk to me more personally because I've been through it myself, please send me a private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion

Re:bullied 23 May 2010 04:44 #30865

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
quite true, like you i know from experience that sometimes when you do fight back it only brings on more fights.... my first 3 years of school i was beat up 2-3 times a day everyday. after learning martial arts, the first time i defended myself successfully all the other trouble makers decided they wanted to fight me too which led to a lot more fights. over time people began leaving me alone...
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 11:00 #30969

I had a completely different experience in my childhood. I was bullied constantly by an individual on my street. One day, I decided I'd had enough and I drilled him right in the mouth. We scuffled for a bit and went our separate ways. Never got bullied by him again. Not saying it will always end up like that, but for the most part, bullies are looking for easy targets so don't be an easy target.

Sometimes violence is a last resort, sometimes it's a good deterrent.

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 14:25 #30971

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
welcome to totjo mindas,

very true most bullies do look for what they consider to be easy targets...and it's also true that violence should be a last resort but can sometimes be a good deterrent....there's an old saying:\"power perceived is power achieved\"....sometimes a display of firepower is enough to keep trouble at bay....look at the cold war....

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 18:28 #30979

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
Another Quote:

\"Violence may not be the best option, but it is still an option.....\"

and

\"It is not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up.....\"

and per Bruce Wayne's dad,

\"Why do we fall? To learn to pick ourselves up\"
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Brenna, Llama Su

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions." ~Dr. Alfred Lanning (I, Robot)

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Solari

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 18:54 #30981

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
another would be: \" true strength is in getting back up one more time than you were knocked down\"

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 21:51 #30983

Some more would be:

\"Karate is about sente.\" - Choki Motobu (sente means striking first)
\"Walk softly and carry a big stick.\" - Teddy Roosevelt

And lastly, my favorite:
\"Those who say violence is a last resort haven't resorted to enough of it.\" - unknown

:laugh:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The law of Sin? Or the Law of man? (Last post by Gisteron)
    • I may indeed be a little harsh on purpose, though rest assured that I meant it. If somebody offers their opinion, that's fine and the gentleman said that this is what they are and I responded to them as such. If however they also said they did some research and they know they didn't, I don't feel bad for calling it out. And this is not something obscure, mind you, we're talking about the ten commandments here, no less, one of the best known codes in the western world. It doesn't take a lot of research to make sure to at least phrase them correctly. And yes, that was what I was referring to, about the bad advice. I like the giving to the poor bit, but this passage implies that the fellow sell all his posessions (and in other places the all part appears also) and follow Jesus, and the motivations for this are two-fold: You'd be perfect if you did it and you'd get great treasures after you die. If this was good advice, it would need no attempted coercion. And it can only be good advice if you are already living in the last days and that is an assumption not quite backed up in either the book or by any of the other generations that thought that the end was nigh because of said book.
    • Hell: An ancient myth or, a factual spiritual pris... (Last post by Streen)
    • Quote: Is it anything like the movie? (one of my favorites) Despite Steamboat's response, the book is actually much better than the movie. The plot is similar, but is supposedly a "true" story. It's difficult to say what the book really is, but it is thought-provoking, and not nearly as hollywood as the movie.
    • The Force (Last post by Streen)
    • I wouldn't say you derailed the thread. You just took it to a more relevant aspect. It would seem that "visions" (however you choose to define that word) are not uncommon. In my own case I've been trying very hard to translate them, though they come and go so fast that it's nearly impossible. Cryo, you might find comfort in your visions if you try to focus on one particular image and figure out what it means. You might be getting information and you don't realize it :unsure:
    • Don't crave for more (Last post by Adder)
    • I wrote a short piece about this topic on the wall but it accidentally got deleted :S :lol: Basically I've ended up to subscribing to a capitalist asceticism, which nullifies consumerism by efforts to make efficient use of wealth at the expense of some of the elements of life which coincidentally turn out to be the main drivers of consumerism for me. In the shortest terms; by identifying that wealth is not about accessing goods and services, but rather wealth is about building the capacity to generate wealth. Main elements are reduction of living standards below ones income to build the basis. Requires consistent solid budgeting and involvement/commitment, and initially; self control, being able to live at a lower level of comfort/security/cleaniness etc, and some capacity to earn money above that lower living cost. The main idea being that once someone can build a capacity to generate wealth, it gives them the capacity to stop working for others and direct wealth to projects/causes of interest. The problems are that it's a slow process initially and stays slow for quite awhile, but speeds up as it goes on and really speeds up when it reaches the upper half of whatever market one prefers to focus within - as money tends to make money, so the problem is getting it. The other problem is keeping it, as risk is an ongoing element. So awareness, planning, and risk mitigation all need to be active elements of it - a capacity to fail and recover. Failure is an opportunity to learn and do it better next time. Consumerism is a mix of greed and reward (depending on wealth or poverty level) in simplistic terms, IMO. And following any ascetic path will lead to viewing consumerism as an expression of abject waste, like going the wrong way around a racetrack... your participating but not making progress and indeed literally going backwards. But removing oneself from the system entirely is not a solution for most. My approach means you have less, but you value it more, because what you have is suddenly more important. The ego is not left empty though, as overtime as wealth increases you do find you have the capacity to increase the quality of those things you need but this then still retains the increased meaningfulness and less wasteful benefits of the overall approach. Also though at these stages one's character is tempted by greed as things become accessible - but its the same concept of capitalistic asceticism which can challenge and defeat that too. The point being more things can be done with wealth then without it, the key issue is how is that wealth being used which in regards to Jedi is hopefully in a 'good' (?) way. The biggest challenge is it's a difficult journey and life is indeed short... so I don't claim its the right thing to do for everyone. Just my 2cents!!!
    • climate change (Last post by ZenJo)
    • Many animal and plant species have adapted to the rise of industial humanity by adapting traits to combat human presence and pollution. The example of the Peppered Moth is often given by evolutionary scientists. So I predict that animals and plants will fair better than we might expect in the coming climate change through their ability to adapt. At the same time, of course, many species may not survive the changes. However, I have to wonder about how modern humans will adapt to climate change. I believe that our ancestors, if placed in our current predicament, might fair better than modern humanity. Ancient humans seemed to have deeper connection to the Earth in their culture and way of life. But our modern world seems to have lost quite a bit of that connection. How many times have I seen someone throw McDonald's bags out their car window even though they are only a few miles from their house and a garbage can? Or people who throw their cigarette butts on the ground right beside the cigarette disposal bin? Or companies that STILL find ways to illegally dump chemical waste? If so many of us can't be trusted to prevent pollution and take climate change seriously, how can we be trusted to adapt to the changing world we have created? If climate changes become more severe, crops will not produce as high of yields. Recent studies have showns rises in drought which leads to food and water scarcity. I admit that many politicians worldwide have used the climate change issue to win votes. In doing so, they destroy the credibility of legit scientists who are actually doing something productive. I don't think we are neccesarily facing an "end-of-the-world" scenario, but hopefully it will be an end to laziness and apathy when the effects of climate change become more severe. One thing that has me bothered is all the stories I have been hearing in the news in recent years of tons of fish, whales, and sharks washing up dead on beaches. In each of the stories, I never hear scientists make any conclusive statements as to the cause of death. Is it Fukishima radiation? Underwater volcanoes? Changes in water temperature?
    • Examples of Deep, Knightly-Virtuous Truths, Learne... (Last post by Dessel761)
    • "You step outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. And nowadays you breathe, and you risk your life. Every moment now... you don't have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you're risking it for. Now, I can make these people feel better and hang on a little bit longer. I can save lives. And that's enough reason to risk mine." —Hershel to his daughter Maggie and Rick Grimes, regarding the situation in the prison with the flu and how he could help the ailing people
    • Thandie Newton & Watts (Last post by Dessel761)
    • I was watching TED talks on vulnerability and shame from another thread. As I started branching out from those topics I came across this: www.ted.com/talks/thandie_newton_embraci...cing_myself#t-821483 I must say that this short video fits nicely with the teachings of Watts and The Book. There are similar ideas presented in both that I feel have helped to enhance my understanding of what Watts is saying.
    • Empathy and Sympathy: The Difference (Last post by Dessel761)
    • Quote: If you like that, than you might like this too. Very great talk on vulnerability including info on empathy vs sympathy. www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability?language=en That was a great talk and this was one a year later goes hand in hand: www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame#t-1209647
    • Current Weightloss (Last post by Metsu Desal)
    • Hello TOTJO! So been a while since I posted anything but I figured I would share something with you. This is my current weightloss, I'm eating healthier and exercising 5 times a week for at least an hour and loving it, wondering if there's any other ToTJO Jedi that are currently losing weight and / or have lost weight? Some noticeable benefits - I can wrap a towel around my waist when I get out the shower - Clothes fit more comfortably than tight - People are giving me lots of praise - People are treating me nicer and my mood is higher [image]
    • Its not Fat or Sugar to worry about, its Fat with ... (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: I do love dark chocolate.... especially the weird stuff with fruit in it (well, it seems weird to me because as a kid we only ever got it from the hypermarkets in Calais!). But maybe I can be tempted to buy some... Yeah - same here, it used to be only available in specialty shops (and I live in the land of chocolate and watches :-). Now Lindt and some other major manufacturers have started mass-manufacturing it and most supermarket chains carry it. You can get it all the way up to 98% cocoa (which doesn't contain much sugar, if any, but tastes very bitter)

There are 420 visitors, 8 guests and 34 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Sarus, Jon, Shadouness, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Kitsu Tails, SenseiMitPen, Desolous, Gisteron, Proteus, V-Tog, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, Alan, Metsu Desal, Corwinani, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Cabur Senaar, Cristris_Jons, SeventhSL, andrew.r.applegate, Rocda, Cyan Sarden, Howl, Tellahane, herbalc, OJMyers, Corsair Gorscue, Majelann, Vigebo, Mikhael, Katash Weivorki, gombicek, Ciardha.

Follow Us