bullied

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

bullied 13 Mar 2010 03:48 #29230

:( I've being bullied. What should i do? Fight of not?

Re:bullied 13 Mar 2010 05:46 #29232

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
if possible avoid fighting, inform either parents,or teachers. you can also try avoiding where the bullies hang out...the first option should always be not to fight as fighting is a result of a communication breakdown...you can also try having a laugh at yourself if they try insulting you as this will give them the impression that what they are doing doesn't bother you(even though it may)...think about this, most bullies are cowards and/or feel weak which is why they pick on people smaller then them, others do so because they are arrogant and think that no one can do anything to stop them.

the choice to fight or not is entirely up to you, but always remember that every decision has a consequence as does every action, and you must be prepared to face the consequences otherwise why make the decision or take the action...
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanChing

Re:bullied 13 Mar 2010 12:14 #29239

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
RyuJin wrote:
if possible avoid fighting, inform either parents,or teachers. you can also try avoiding where the bullies hang out...the first option should always be not to fight as fighting is a result of a communication breakdown...you can also try having a laugh at yourself if they try insulting you as this will give them the impression that what they are doing doesn't bother you(even though it may)...think about this, most bullies are cowards and/or feel weak which is why they pick on people smaller then them, others do so because they are arrogant and think that no one can do anything to stop them.

the choice to fight or not is entirely up to you, but always remember that every decision has a consequence as does every action, and you must be prepared to face the consequences otherwise why make the decision or take the action...

Also, I might add.... Try talking to the bully one-on-one. Not surrounded by a group of others. I have actually used all of these and they do not all work for all situations. But, I have found that a one-on-one conversation actually works best. As does talking to a person you trust, and asking them to be a go-between.

And as Ryujin said, actual fighting is a last resort.

Good Luck...

-MTFBWU-
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Re:bullied 22 May 2010 20:06 #30857

To add onto 'if possible avoid fighting' let me tell you something. I myself used to be bullied. I was short and fat and that made me a target. The second I fought back though it started a sequence... Not only did the original bully want to fight me, but so did all of his friends. It came to a point where I was fighting almost every day just to protect myself. one day they all tried to jump me at once, they succeeded.I went to the hospital because they, and the rest of there gang, tried to kill me. I still believe it could have all been avoided, but once I balled my fists that first time I had already written the end of that chapter in my life.

Humor is the best way (In my oppinion) to stave of a bullies attacks/insults/etc. But I have to agree that you should try to talk to your bully in a one-on-one situation.

I know I'm just an initiate, but if you want to talk to me more personally because I've been through it myself, please send me a private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion

Re:bullied 23 May 2010 04:44 #30865

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
quite true, like you i know from experience that sometimes when you do fight back it only brings on more fights.... my first 3 years of school i was beat up 2-3 times a day everyday. after learning martial arts, the first time i defended myself successfully all the other trouble makers decided they wanted to fight me too which led to a lot more fights. over time people began leaving me alone...
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 11:00 #30969

I had a completely different experience in my childhood. I was bullied constantly by an individual on my street. One day, I decided I'd had enough and I drilled him right in the mouth. We scuffled for a bit and went our separate ways. Never got bullied by him again. Not saying it will always end up like that, but for the most part, bullies are looking for easy targets so don't be an easy target.

Sometimes violence is a last resort, sometimes it's a good deterrent.

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 14:25 #30971

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
welcome to totjo mindas,

very true most bullies do look for what they consider to be easy targets...and it's also true that violence should be a last resort but can sometimes be a good deterrent....there's an old saying:\"power perceived is power achieved\"....sometimes a display of firepower is enough to keep trouble at bay....look at the cold war....

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 18:28 #30979

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
Another Quote:

\"Violence may not be the best option, but it is still an option.....\"

and

\"It is not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up.....\"

and per Bruce Wayne's dad,

\"Why do we fall? To learn to pick ourselves up\"
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Solari

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 18:54 #30981

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
another would be: \" true strength is in getting back up one more time than you were knocked down\"

Re:bullied 29 May 2010 21:51 #30983

Some more would be:

\"Karate is about sente.\" - Choki Motobu (sente means striking first)
\"Walk softly and carry a big stick.\" - Teddy Roosevelt

And lastly, my favorite:
\"Those who say violence is a last resort haven't resorted to enough of it.\" - unknown

:laugh:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Should Jedi carry weapons? (Last post by Arkayik)
    • Quote: I know a lot of you think I blow smoke about a lot of things. You think I argue too much, or I start trouble here, or I stir the pot, or I think too highly of intellectual reasoning and logic, or you don't like that I think "Words Mean Things"..... I can only speak for myself, but I would say I'm deeply thankful for your input, keep stirring the pot.... Passion, yet Serenity Logic, yet Gnosis
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens International Teaser ... (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: The prequels (May They Be Ignored) at least paid homage to the original and classic cinematography and styling of the original trilogy--through the cuts, the wipes, the angles, etc.--while still using modern filmmaking technique. This does not seem to be doing that, and it's just not Star Wars without wipe cuts. I'm sorry. I really like those wipe cuts.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Someone stole my debit card number and charged xbox games on it. Tried to call Microsoft to report it and they couldn't help me because I didn't have an account with them. *sigh....I know that.... So I have to go to my bank and dispute it. Cancel my cards etc.... :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: Ok better now....
    • Jediism and non Jediism (Last post by Adder)
    • This really screams to me to put in a do or do not Yoda quote, but I must resist the green urge. You are either are or you are not, and its up to you to know if you are.... no-one else, because its that commitment (as epitomized by the Oath) which is the defining reality of 'being'. It's not what you do, its how you do it... and how to do it is as a Jedi :huh: If your looking to 'act' like a Jedi by behaving in certain established way's.... if unable to create your own path you could always emulate someone else who you think meets that need to be seen as Jedi. The complexity of your Jedi path and its associated practises are as complex or simple as you'd like - the journey in finding them is the destination of using them.
    • Live Service, Monday, 1 December at 20:00 UTC (Last post by Edan)
    • Usually, I would arrange whatever I'm doing to be there, but unfortunately evening work meetings cannot be rearranged :( I look forward to reading the transcription later on though.
    • Userpics and nicknames (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: @steamboat28 - what you're saying sounds like works of Ursula Le Guine, where magic worked out of knowledge of "true names". It is. But Ursula didn't invent that concept, she just borrowed it. ;)
    • Fear Leads to Anger... (Last post by den385)
    • Fear leads to anger only if you act out of inertia or are not used to discipline emotions. The more practical guideline for me sounds like "It may be hard to tame fear, but if you don't - it will enslave you."
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 15# day without coffee.
    • Survivors (Last post by Rocda)
    • I was listening to NPR this week and there was a discussion about survivors, people who survived avalanche or being lost at sea. There are some common traits of people who survive these disasters. 1. They are aware of dangers and tend to prepare. Things like bringing blankets, flashlight and food when traveling through a blizzard. 2. Their attitude is never, why did this happen to me or who is to blame. The attitude is, this is the situation. What do I need to do to survive the next half hour? After surviving the half hour, they congratulate themselves for surviving, then concentrate on surviving the next half hour. It's survivors attitude and outlook.
    • Conscription - Draft (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: There has been a lot of talk here about contracts and obligations and a 'freedom to choose'. What we tend to forget, particularly in long established 'free' societies, is that those freedoms came at a cost. Whether it was 14 years ago in New York City, 50 years ago in Vietnam, or 240 some odd years ago in Colonial America, there have always been Americans willing to put others before themselves and give their lives so that the rest of us could be free and remain free. The same can be said for every other 'free' nation in the world. Whether you agree with the current cause of your government or not, you should not forget that your government (and the freedoms and protections it provides you) did not come about on its own. People fought for it, died for it, built it, and have taken pride in it. To demand a personal right to ignore an obligation that comes with being a citizen, in my mind, is selfish and offensive to the people who have made that choice even possible. I understand that you wish to uphold the desires of your forebears, but if I'm honest that sounds a lot like an appeal to tradition. Wouldn't someone who fought in such wars argue "I didn't fight for America so that gay black and asian men could get married!" Should we respect their homophobic and racist positions too? The past is for informing ourselves of the present, the past is not there so that we'll be beholden to it in the present.
    • Ikigai - "a reason for being" (Last post by den385)
    • @Adder - But how are gonna be good at both maths and football to the point that you're getting paid? )) @Aqua - I am afraid, finding Ikigai is a way of uncertainty and sometimes it can seem quite a labyrinth. I can discuss how I've found mine, if it would be of any help. 1) I was studying pure higher mathematics in one of Russia's best place for it. I wasn't very good and there were problems distracting. It didn't inspire me, it didn't light fire in my eyes, it didn't make my heart burn, there was no drive. Yet, it was useful. 2) Then I did quite courageous and same time stupid thing - I transferred to much less cool university (MIREA) with applied maths and programming. It was hard to study in that place, but I've started to get what Ikigai is, though I didn't know this word then. The fire came only in tiny pieces - when I planned my programming course projects and reached success in 'em, and when I was meeting interesting people and interesting tasks on programming conferences, which more like a hangout than a serious thing. 3) On last course of MIREA, I started to work as Junior programmer. It was hell of a lot frustrations. You don't know much, people seemed mean sometimes, they didn't want me to grow, just want to be productive. Normal jobs, yet I wasn't much of a fighter that time. I understood, that some life distractions and bad structure of MIREA and much more - my own indecisiveness costed me chances to do my own thing and have precious experience. 4) I changed several jobs in next 3 years. Was searching for "the right thing". Never understanding, that the only "right thing" I was searching was drive from challenges. This search and personal issues rewarded me with frustrations, uncertainty and instability in my career. 5) Finally, due to personal issues and my own lack of experience, I landed up on an awfullest job I ever had. Bad wage, bad tasks, bad people. Anti-drive in overabundance. And here I've understood that Ikigai is your own game above every professional activity there is. I understood that you can have your own rules of craft. But if your rules are not strict enough, they will get you fired. So your rules should be "what is expected of ordinary ok worker" + "what gives you drive: purpose, autonomy, mastery". Sometimes it's something extra on job. Sometimes - a side-project. 6) Now I've left this job with resources for a few months. I can finish my own project and find a decent job. Over all I can say that finding Ikigai is what Jobs meant by "follow your heart, don't stop" in his famous Stanford lecture. It's not easy, but if you can do it, your working life becomes meaningful and rewarding. And I believe that when you are good at what you love, and if you have will, that is the only right road to success. Finding Ikigai depends on self confidence. What self confidence is - it's subjective. But when you have your own world, your own vision, your own life, than working just to get paid starts to be a bad deal. And you are on a search for another attitude. I could say, you're searching for your own game wthin the Game of Life.
    • Transcendence (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: I would recommend the documentary "Transcendent Man" if you haven't seen it ad enjoyed the movie. Essentially Ray Kurzweil is Johnny Depps character sans the science fiction....at present. Also Extropianism/Extropism & Max More. Here is an interview/debate between Max and Ray, and discusses things like the singularity.

There are 351 visitors, 6 guests and 27 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jestor, ren, Connor L., Darren, Proteus, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Elemental Harmony, Arcade, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, ChaosMerdy, Ecthalion, Revan Falton, Exarchias, Slebo, Rocda, Johnothon, Paradox, Peej16870, dr.seiss, AJGBlack.

Follow Us