This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No)

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 06:03 #40114

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
While The Council would need to vote on this change I feel that input from all interested members is necessary for informed consideration.

For some time I've felt that calling this Special Interest Group Abrahamic is silly and not reflective of its contents at all. The content of the forum is 99.9%+ Christian.

History and the numbers don't support the current name. In the entire history of TOTJO I'm only aware of one member who nominally practiced the Muslim faith and only one or two who claimed the Jewish faith. I'm not attesting there are not more but stating this from my personal memory and experience.

Contrast this to the significant number of active members who are Christian Jedi. I believe the forum suffers from its current name and would be much more lively and used if we call it what it is - Christian Studies.

This is not to put off any potential member who may be Muslim or Jewish but to enhance a real need that we actually have now. We have a significant Christian population. We have a physical congregation in Minnesota with Zanthan Storm as it's Pastor and Bishop. They are Christian Jedi.

To have a group you have to have ... well ... a group.

In the future if there develops a real demand for an Islamic Studies forum or a Jewish Studies forum (and so on) we can make them.

In the beginning this forum was called The Christian Rite and it was changed on the theory of being more inclusive. That was a mistake. By trying to cast so large a net it's alienating the persons who'd actually use it.

Anyone be they guest or member is most welcome to express his or her ideas about this if interested.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 09:41 #40117

I think Christian studies or something along that line would be a more suitable name. I believe it would be a better description as well and would reflect the content better and would possibly be used more with a name change. As you stated, the Abrahamic religions vary greatly from one another, so it is hard to lump them all into one.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 10:38 #40121

I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 21:54 #40127

I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 23:12 #40129

As Br John stated though, if needed a group for Jewish, Muslim or other monotheistic religious people could be made. I don't think it would be snubbing them, as they are still welcome and another group can be made if the need or want arose. From how I see it, it is just hard to fit all God or monotheistic based religions under the Abrahamic group. Seeing as each of these often have very differing views on some stances. Also, newcomers might would be less hesitant to join if there was more of a specification of what religion. Not to stereotype, but people can be very protective of their faiths even down to how it is categorized. So in that aspect I see it as more of a help.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 02:45 #40132

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
As a non-Christian/Abrahamic Jedi I don't really have any issues other than what Jasper said.
Jasper_Ward wrote:
I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

The only thing I would add is maybe to edit the FAQ with the question 'Why is there no Judaism/Islamic special interest group?' That way if anyone ever asks then we have the thread about it and they can see it in the FAQ as well.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone accuses us of being insensitive or otherwise when regarding the views of Islam or Judaism or indeed any other religion.

So I think it is just prudent to cover all of the bases.
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:33 #40133

I know that I'm not an experienced member, but I'd like to point out that I myself don't see a need for that. It will probably only cause some minor future problems (like others said: "Why is there no Islamic/Judaism group?") and the people who use this forum know that it's mostly Christian either way. It will close the door for other Abrahamic religions - not forever, of course, but might be some disappointment for new members.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:43 #40134

• Xiam
  • ID: 1027
Randi Oxford wrote:
I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
This was my thinking as well. I would have agreed to switch to Christian Rite had there been nothing but Christians, but as it was mentioned that there were a small few of the Abrahamic Rite that are not Christian, I am much more wary about it. A minority is still a number. It doesn't seem right that they should be ignored just to make the majority more comfortable (and really, how much of a change in comfort is it anyway? Christianity is an Abrahamic religion).

Plus, there's the issue of how to deal with those who aren't Christian and are looking for a place where they fit (i.e. the hypothetically nonexistent Abrahamic Rite). You can talk about placing disclaimers or answers in the FAQ or waiting for complaints, but that still takes effort on their part, when all they're wanting is to find a place where they can be comfortable, and feel a bit nervous when they can't find it.

Maybe I'm overthinking things in assuming that would be their reactions, I don't know. It just seems like a needless change. And again, .1% may be small, but it's still something worth considering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qui-Ran Demera

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 06:37 #40136

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I'm looking at this from the perspective of mislabeling or false advertising. What's actually in that forum? I'm not finding any Jewish or Muslim discussions but plenty of Christian discussions including prayers and ceremonies for a multitude of occasions.

I frequently eat and get take out from a local Black Eye Pea restaurant. The food is very good and so it the service. Several months ago my mother and I went there and the special was Chicken and Dumplings. We ordered it. What a letdown. It was Chicken Soup with dumplings thrown in. Even Campbell's Soup gets this right. They have a Chicken Soup with Dumplings and then they have Chicken and Dumplings which (I hope) you all know is a rich creamy sauce with plenty of chicken and dumplings made from biscuit batter.

So while I don't know how a Muslim or Jewish person would feel if they go in this forum I do understand the disappointment of expecting something and not getting it.

Nobody's saying we cannot have and add forums labeled Muslim Studies and Jewish Studies.

What I'm saying is that we properly label that forum to reflect what's actually in it.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 21:31 #40149

Then perhaps it would be a good idea for people who are in that forum to help bring about more teachings from the other two systems. Just to help even things out. After all, Christianity sprung forth from Judaism, and Islam sprung from Christianity. It helps bring about a more well rounded view of how the system has evolved in the three systems.

You know, so long as they remain respectful when researching and posting.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Sixth Extinction (Last post by Khaos)
    • I do not think extinction is mundane. It will happen though. Deserve has nothing to do with it. Does that mean we should not struggle to survive? Of course not. In any case, this thread was hardly geared toward solutions.
    • The End of Casual Christianity (Last post by Alan)
    • To build and dwell within is what humans do. Like us, the sacred dwells amidst all that is. May faiths build a place for their sacred and what that sacred is will determine the dwelling's purpose. A gathering place. A temple to house the deity. An expression of beliefs held. Some buildings are mirrors of the cosmos, like Hindu and Buddhist temples or American Plains Indian teepees. Some religions have no building, like the ancient Zoroastrians, but only a fire altar upon the hilltop. Christian sacred space is within church walls and is of a different theological quality than the profane world outside. The Muslim's prayer rug is a representation of the Garden of Eden where, like Paradise itself, puts the believer in direct contact through prayer with Allah the Merciful. Some sacred places have buildings erected there and the myth of that place is represented in the temple, as in Shinto. Theology informs architecture.
    • On Self Knowledge (and The Jedi Path) (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: On Self-Knowledge - Kahlil Gibran Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights. But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge. You would know in words that which you have always known in thought. You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams. And it is well you should. The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea; And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes. But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure; And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line. For self is a sea boundless and measureless. Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth." Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path." For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself like a lotus of countless petals. Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, The moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky Are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. -zen poem quote
    • How to get a group started? (Last post by Aqua)
    • It is always easy to split people intro 'Us vs them' Would it be an art to remove or decrease that feeling? Would it be an art to shape people by helping them to accept who they are, to act as a listening ear? More important is that the youth section could be a 'them' to, but I do not hear problems often.. Maybe there are, not mine to know, but if a system is really needed it should get a change to proof itself. But i do not know how many members there are, that are requesting such groups. It is always possible to connect one or more dedicated and trusted members with other people, like a buddy system. If groups are one step to far, and the demand is not high. A buddy could ensure a save way to talk about multiple subjects.
    • TotJO Audio/Video Sermons (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Post your audio or video sermons here! For information on how to get your sermons uploaded to the TotJO YouTube channel, please contact Akkarin or I. If your videos are listed as private, you are welcome to place them under the "Hide texts from Guests" code.
    • Wonders of our Doctrine.. (Last post by Locksley)
    • Well, some of the 'roots of Jediism' are found in the IP. Mostly the roots of Jediism as related to the films can be found in whatever interested George Lucas at the time he was writing the script! :woohoo: He was especially enamored with Japanese culture - and many of his ideas in terms of filming and story construction evolved after watching Akira Kurosawa's early work. Through that we find a wealth of quasi-mythological things planted into the Star Wars world, along with certain aspects of Lucas's own personal history and evolving psyche. But there's a reason Campbell liked it all so much - in stealing random ideas from history, mythology, and other directors films, Lucas ended up creating something which linked itself smoothly through popular culture back into relevant human mythologies that had existed for many times longer than the silver screen. Really there is no basis for Jediism in Star Wars - alone, at any rate. Star Wars is just a launching platform built on much older ideas and philosophies - a translating program if you will, that allows us modern animals renewed access to deeper levels of thought than "how much gas/petrol costs per gallon/liter this week," or whether or not we paid the rent on time. There were certainly many belief systems before Star Wars that espoused various similar traits to Jediism, but Jediism could only arise as this self-aware beast because of the films. Having it's staple terminology granted from a pop-culture icon allows Jediism a certain breath of self-awareness that I'm not sure all religions or forms of 'spiritual'-inquiry have access to; a certain humor about itself. So yes, I think that Jediism and Star Wars share several roots. One of the most prominent is the terminology Jediism takes from Star Wars. The next most-prominent would be the various eastern mythology and methodology aspects built into the Star Wars concept, which Jediism then follows further to the actual - non-fictional - roots. Then there are aspects of western mythology and methodology - again, which Jediism attempts to understand the source of.
    • Audio Sermons (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Please join me in thanking Cabur Senaar for his contribution! The option to have an audio sermon uploaded is still available for those who have the ability to make them and it would be great to see the YouTube channel a little more active! Please disregard the previous email addresses (sorry ren and V :P) and email your files to either prteam@templeofthejediorder[dot]org or PM me for my personal email address!
    • What are you reading right now? (Last post by Rickie)
    • A page or two of this almost everyday.... www.taowoods.org/quote/index.htm?focus=13 It's made a great difference in my life and can't recomend it enough! I'm also reading Game of Thrones book 5 and Power Hold'em StrategyPaperback– Daniel Negreanu(Author) I enjoy diversity. :)
    • What is "MEANING" - what is "MEANIN... (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: Quote: im asking; how do YOU understand or explain the idea of MEANINGFUL? what does it mean to YOU? Very good question. I like it. Thank you. I think meaningfull isn't so complicated as most people make it out to be. Meaningfull is whatever is important to you. For me, It's living as simple a life as I can in haromony with the world around me. Also I'd like the world to better place for me being here. I want to live well and be comfortable, at least most of the time, but that doesn't mean extravagant. I try to focus on the kinder and gentiler aspects of life but still be cognitive of the realities of life and not be foolisly optimistic. Meaningfull is finding balance so you feel connected to life and all that is around you. Meaningfull is being at peace with yourself. :) That. All of that. I like it. It's a struggle I find myself in all the time. I realize that I could have more money and stuff and be less financially worried if I picked up another job and worked 60 hours a week instead of the 40 I do now, but everytime I think about it I think of the free time I'd be giving up. I enjoy my free time so I'm not really inclined to give it up. I think, what if I had a day where I worked from when I woke up to when I went to bed then died in my sleep, will I have enjoyed my last day? Now, not every day can be a perfect last day, but I can try to make all of mine not the worst. I feel like an entire day spent at work, even though I enjoy my job, would not be a good day to have be my last. Yesterday I had a pretty meaningful day. I did a small amount of cleaning, watched both Captain America movies (the most patriotic movies I own for Memorial Day here in the USA), then spent the afternoon and evening grilling and spending time outside with friends. I could've died last night and, while still prefering to have lived, not felt like I wasted my last day. That, to me, is living a meaningful life.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 10 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg triceps 20 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg biceps 10 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg triceps 1.6 Km running.

There are 938 visitors, 11 guests and 33 members online (none in chat): Daniel L., Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Shadouness, Firewolf, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Damion_Storm, Adhara, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Alan, Archon, Kamizu, LuCrae Jiddu, Edan, Pyrus Erath, Goken, Matsukaze, Aqua, GalUnDrux, Tarran, Exarchias, Rocda, Tk768, Atticus509, Krieger, asteropos, MaGnA CrYsTaL, PaintedWarrior, WayneTec, Protonix, bushidomonk, Neorian, Blind, Ana Karen Po, Klutot, Euan_cheyne, Muffit, Tellahane, Macchute.

Follow Us