This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No)

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 06:03 #40114

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
While The Council would need to vote on this change I feel that input from all interested members is necessary for informed consideration.

For some time I've felt that calling this Special Interest Group Abrahamic is silly and not reflective of its contents at all. The content of the forum is 99.9%+ Christian.

History and the numbers don't support the current name. In the entire history of TOTJO I'm only aware of one member who nominally practiced the Muslim faith and only one or two who claimed the Jewish faith. I'm not attesting there are not more but stating this from my personal memory and experience.

Contrast this to the significant number of active members who are Christian Jedi. I believe the forum suffers from its current name and would be much more lively and used if we call it what it is - Christian Studies.

This is not to put off any potential member who may be Muslim or Jewish but to enhance a real need that we actually have now. We have a significant Christian population. We have a physical congregation in Minnesota with Zanthan Storm as it's Pastor and Bishop. They are Christian Jedi.

To have a group you have to have ... well ... a group.

In the future if there develops a real demand for an Islamic Studies forum or a Jewish Studies forum (and so on) we can make them.

In the beginning this forum was called The Christian Rite and it was changed on the theory of being more inclusive. That was a mistake. By trying to cast so large a net it's alienating the persons who'd actually use it.

Anyone be they guest or member is most welcome to express his or her ideas about this if interested.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 09:41 #40117

I think Christian studies or something along that line would be a more suitable name. I believe it would be a better description as well and would reflect the content better and would possibly be used more with a name change. As you stated, the Abrahamic religions vary greatly from one another, so it is hard to lump them all into one.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 10:38 #40121

I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 21:54 #40127

I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 23:12 #40129

As Br John stated though, if needed a group for Jewish, Muslim or other monotheistic religious people could be made. I don't think it would be snubbing them, as they are still welcome and another group can be made if the need or want arose. From how I see it, it is just hard to fit all God or monotheistic based religions under the Abrahamic group. Seeing as each of these often have very differing views on some stances. Also, newcomers might would be less hesitant to join if there was more of a specification of what religion. Not to stereotype, but people can be very protective of their faiths even down to how it is categorized. So in that aspect I see it as more of a help.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 02:45 #40132

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
As a non-Christian/Abrahamic Jedi I don't really have any issues other than what Jasper said.
Jasper_Ward wrote:
I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

The only thing I would add is maybe to edit the FAQ with the question 'Why is there no Judaism/Islamic special interest group?' That way if anyone ever asks then we have the thread about it and they can see it in the FAQ as well.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone accuses us of being insensitive or otherwise when regarding the views of Islam or Judaism or indeed any other religion.

So I think it is just prudent to cover all of the bases.
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:33 #40133

I know that I'm not an experienced member, but I'd like to point out that I myself don't see a need for that. It will probably only cause some minor future problems (like others said: "Why is there no Islamic/Judaism group?") and the people who use this forum know that it's mostly Christian either way. It will close the door for other Abrahamic religions - not forever, of course, but might be some disappointment for new members.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:43 #40134

• Xiam
  • ID: 1027
Randi Oxford wrote:
I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
This was my thinking as well. I would have agreed to switch to Christian Rite had there been nothing but Christians, but as it was mentioned that there were a small few of the Abrahamic Rite that are not Christian, I am much more wary about it. A minority is still a number. It doesn't seem right that they should be ignored just to make the majority more comfortable (and really, how much of a change in comfort is it anyway? Christianity is an Abrahamic religion).

Plus, there's the issue of how to deal with those who aren't Christian and are looking for a place where they fit (i.e. the hypothetically nonexistent Abrahamic Rite). You can talk about placing disclaimers or answers in the FAQ or waiting for complaints, but that still takes effort on their part, when all they're wanting is to find a place where they can be comfortable, and feel a bit nervous when they can't find it.

Maybe I'm overthinking things in assuming that would be their reactions, I don't know. It just seems like a needless change. And again, .1% may be small, but it's still something worth considering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qui-Ran Demera

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 06:37 #40136

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I'm looking at this from the perspective of mislabeling or false advertising. What's actually in that forum? I'm not finding any Jewish or Muslim discussions but plenty of Christian discussions including prayers and ceremonies for a multitude of occasions.

I frequently eat and get take out from a local Black Eye Pea restaurant. The food is very good and so it the service. Several months ago my mother and I went there and the special was Chicken and Dumplings. We ordered it. What a letdown. It was Chicken Soup with dumplings thrown in. Even Campbell's Soup gets this right. They have a Chicken Soup with Dumplings and then they have Chicken and Dumplings which (I hope) you all know is a rich creamy sauce with plenty of chicken and dumplings made from biscuit batter.

So while I don't know how a Muslim or Jewish person would feel if they go in this forum I do understand the disappointment of expecting something and not getting it.

Nobody's saying we cannot have and add forums labeled Muslim Studies and Jewish Studies.

What I'm saying is that we properly label that forum to reflect what's actually in it.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 21:31 #40149

Then perhaps it would be a good idea for people who are in that forum to help bring about more teachings from the other two systems. Just to help even things out. After all, Christianity sprung forth from Judaism, and Islam sprung from Christianity. It helps bring about a more well rounded view of how the system has evolved in the three systems.

You know, so long as they remain respectful when researching and posting.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • What makes a Jedi? (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: Empathy - time-critical or stressful periods may delay it (e.g. first you deal with a deadline, than - support others) Help yourself before you can help others - that's often heard but makes sense only if it's a matter of your not being capable of helping unless you enable yourself to do so first. E.g. if the ship is sinking, put on your own life vest first before you help others, because otherwise you'll drown and there's nobody left to help. In less dramatic situations (and I would call meeting a 'deadline' less dramatic), helping others before yourself might be more beneficial in the long run - if helping others means an effective team is formed, you might be better off yourself as well.
    • Military Jedi and conflict of interests, help nee... (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • So far, everyone here has talked about voluntary military service. There are many countries in the world (including my own) where draft is still enforced and every man (and sometimes woman) has to serve. I found my time in the military to be somewhat strange - Switzerland is neutral and our army is set up to defend the country, not to attack others. Everything about it felt somewhat surreal - you were ripped out of your peaceful life and thrown into a system that is built from the ground up to make killing feel "normal". over the last two decades, Switzerland has been involved in a series of foreign wars (mainly in the Balkans, we still have a presence in Kosovo), albeit as a non-fighting force. I was forced to join when I was 19 years old. I was handed a rifle and trained to kill, just like about 15'000 others that year. At that time, I considered myself a pacifist. I refused to shoot at human-shaped targets at the shooting range and was punished for that. I didn't mind the shooting itself - I still shoot guns for sports to this day, but I drew the line once they replaced the neutral aim with that containing the image of a bad guy. So again - Switzerland is neutral country and I'm grateful I was never placed in a situation where I actually needed to shoot at someone. If you look at this here, you'll see that almost half of the world still has mandatory military service: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription So while in the US and the UK, the decision of whether you're willing to kill someone for your country is made before you join up - and it's completely your personal choice - in other parts of the world you're forced to to prepare yourself for killing if you want to or not. So what would a Jedi do there? I believe that free will is the basis for being able to live the life of a Jedi. If that free will is taken from you, what is there left to do?
    • Etymology of the word "Jedi" (Last post by den385)
    • Thanks for the egyptian sources. I don't know, whether Lucas knew of them or not, but it's interesting to think of the word Jedi being there in lots of places since ancient times. There's another *possible* source - the Hebrew word "Yediah", which means "knowledge". [unchecked, but is many times on google]
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Love the title lol. I have something to be very thankful for. On 10 Nov 2014 my daughter was born. Long labor short, the doctor discovered something that could/should have been a major major problem that would have resulted in her death before she was born. What I thought was a nearly painless pregnancy should have been classified as a high risk. I'm grateful all are doing well. I pray you will both be well and continue to be that way. Best thoughts for you both. You brought life into the would. That is sacred.
    • In a Sith Bar..... (Last post by DreadFather)
    • great freemason joke! Quote: Ok, a Templar, Hospitaler & Jedi Knight go into a Sith Bar... I'm not really good at jokes, so if you're going to be critical, then: "This isn't the joke we're looking for." "Move along!" The Sithtender asks what's your poison. The Hospitaler asks for a Light Lager. The Sithtender says, "this isn't the elixir you're looking for, Move along" The Hospiyaler leaves the bar with a saddened look.... The Sithtender looks to the Templar.... "I'll have an Rose on the rocks" Sithtender says "this isn't the rosy cross you're seeking, move along" The Sithtender shoots an exasperated look at the Jedi and says "what'll it be?" "I'll have a Darkside Stout.....!"
    • Do Nothing for 2 Minutes (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Shared with me this evening Do Nothing for 2 Minutes A reminder to take some time out Wonderful! Wonderful!! Wonderful.!!! :) :) :) :) :) Thank you so very much. I'll make this a favorite. Nothing better than a walk on the beach. Peace
    • Application Open: Secretary of the Synod (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • The Synod is eager to fill vacancies and is currently looking for the right candidate for the position of Secretary to the Synod. Job Description: The Secretary for the Synod is a new role supporting a broad range of Synod initiatives, from recording Synod discussion, assisting the other members of the Synod with their initatives, providing insight and aiding in engagement with the wider Clergy and the Temple congregation as a whole. Prerequisites for Application: * Must be a member of the Clergy (Licensed Minister or above) * Must be in good standing with the Temple How to Apply: To apply please send a message to members of the Synod; Akkarin, Alexandre Orion, and Jamie Stick. You may, if you wish, explain why you would like to fill this position. Inquiries regarding the position or the application process should be sent in a PM to Akkarin, Alexandre, or myself. Note: You do not need to send your questions or concerns to all three of us, but you do need to send your application to all three of us.
    • chat (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm in chat! Make my one person party a two (or more) person party :silly:
    • here's a thought. (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: *stuff* thank you. I wanted to say this but was too tired and lazy to cite sources. Quote: Also I did know about the pink for boys and blue for girls thing!! When I first heard that I was amazed at how easily it was changed. :laugh: Want a trip? Girl has only meant female for a few hundred years.
    • Parents Religion and Respect (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: as far as religion and christianity is concerned, you can believe in God ANYWHERE, because he is ANYWHERE. You don't HAVE TO BE IN A CHURCH. This is one of those things that was really hard for my family to understand when I stopped attending our local church. My faith hasn't waned; it's actually gotten stronger. But I don't practice the way they practice anymore, and I have a hard time being around a lot of the issues I have with that particular congregation. The combination of the doctrine, the people, and the nonsense was too much to bear. I heard lots of things like "backslider" and "heathen" from strangers (well, former churchmates who I didn't personally know, but recognized me), and "when are you coming back to church?" My response to the last one was usually a variation on "When God shows up there, too." But my family kept insisting you have to go to church to worship properly. "It says so in the Bible! Forsake not the assmeblin' of yerselves together! And iron sharpens iron!" Yeah. The Scripture says both of those things. But if you look in context, both of them are social benefits of the church; people are stronger when they have other people to help them through rough patches. And I can get that anywhere. And then there's "where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I also," which means that me and a friend playing video games on Friday night discussing the nature of the universe and our place in it still totally counts. The insistence of anyone that you have to go to a certain place or to do a certain thing is nonsense. No matter your religious doctrine, you are your own priest when it comes to your life. You may accept another priesthood over yours, but ultimately, you are the doorway, the arbiter of your faith. Any religion that tells you that you are closed off from the divine and cannot ask of it is a religion that has no concept of truth.
    • Jedi Movies? (Last post by Zenchi)
    • A few more I missed... [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]

There are 333 visitors, 4 guests and 31 members online (one in chat): Daniel L., Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, Lycaenion, Proteus, Luthien, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, MCSH, Omhu Cuspor, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, SilverWolf, Zenchi, ChaosMerdy, benedictveritas, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Revan Falton, GalUnDrux, Yodi, Rocda, Cyan Sarden, den385, RaB, almosteasy69.

Follow Us