This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No)

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 06:03 #40114

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
While The Council would need to vote on this change I feel that input from all interested members is necessary for informed consideration.

For some time I've felt that calling this Special Interest Group Abrahamic is silly and not reflective of its contents at all. The content of the forum is 99.9%+ Christian.

History and the numbers don't support the current name. In the entire history of TOTJO I'm only aware of one member who nominally practiced the Muslim faith and only one or two who claimed the Jewish faith. I'm not attesting there are not more but stating this from my personal memory and experience.

Contrast this to the significant number of active members who are Christian Jedi. I believe the forum suffers from its current name and would be much more lively and used if we call it what it is - Christian Studies.

This is not to put off any potential member who may be Muslim or Jewish but to enhance a real need that we actually have now. We have a significant Christian population. We have a physical congregation in Minnesota with Zanthan Storm as it's Pastor and Bishop. They are Christian Jedi.

To have a group you have to have ... well ... a group.

In the future if there develops a real demand for an Islamic Studies forum or a Jewish Studies forum (and so on) we can make them.

In the beginning this forum was called The Christian Rite and it was changed on the theory of being more inclusive. That was a mistake. By trying to cast so large a net it's alienating the persons who'd actually use it.

Anyone be they guest or member is most welcome to express his or her ideas about this if interested.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 09:41 #40117

I think Christian studies or something along that line would be a more suitable name. I believe it would be a better description as well and would reflect the content better and would possibly be used more with a name change. As you stated, the Abrahamic religions vary greatly from one another, so it is hard to lump them all into one.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 10:38 #40121

I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 21:54 #40127

I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 23:12 #40129

As Br John stated though, if needed a group for Jewish, Muslim or other monotheistic religious people could be made. I don't think it would be snubbing them, as they are still welcome and another group can be made if the need or want arose. From how I see it, it is just hard to fit all God or monotheistic based religions under the Abrahamic group. Seeing as each of these often have very differing views on some stances. Also, newcomers might would be less hesitant to join if there was more of a specification of what religion. Not to stereotype, but people can be very protective of their faiths even down to how it is categorized. So in that aspect I see it as more of a help.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 02:45 #40132

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
As a non-Christian/Abrahamic Jedi I don't really have any issues other than what Jasper said.
Jasper_Ward wrote:
I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

The only thing I would add is maybe to edit the FAQ with the question 'Why is there no Judaism/Islamic special interest group?' That way if anyone ever asks then we have the thread about it and they can see it in the FAQ as well.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone accuses us of being insensitive or otherwise when regarding the views of Islam or Judaism or indeed any other religion.

So I think it is just prudent to cover all of the bases.
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:33 #40133

I know that I'm not an experienced member, but I'd like to point out that I myself don't see a need for that. It will probably only cause some minor future problems (like others said: "Why is there no Islamic/Judaism group?") and the people who use this forum know that it's mostly Christian either way. It will close the door for other Abrahamic religions - not forever, of course, but might be some disappointment for new members.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:43 #40134

• Xiam
  • ID: 1027
Randi Oxford wrote:
I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
This was my thinking as well. I would have agreed to switch to Christian Rite had there been nothing but Christians, but as it was mentioned that there were a small few of the Abrahamic Rite that are not Christian, I am much more wary about it. A minority is still a number. It doesn't seem right that they should be ignored just to make the majority more comfortable (and really, how much of a change in comfort is it anyway? Christianity is an Abrahamic religion).

Plus, there's the issue of how to deal with those who aren't Christian and are looking for a place where they fit (i.e. the hypothetically nonexistent Abrahamic Rite). You can talk about placing disclaimers or answers in the FAQ or waiting for complaints, but that still takes effort on their part, when all they're wanting is to find a place where they can be comfortable, and feel a bit nervous when they can't find it.

Maybe I'm overthinking things in assuming that would be their reactions, I don't know. It just seems like a needless change. And again, .1% may be small, but it's still something worth considering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qui-Ran Demera

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 06:37 #40136

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I'm looking at this from the perspective of mislabeling or false advertising. What's actually in that forum? I'm not finding any Jewish or Muslim discussions but plenty of Christian discussions including prayers and ceremonies for a multitude of occasions.

I frequently eat and get take out from a local Black Eye Pea restaurant. The food is very good and so it the service. Several months ago my mother and I went there and the special was Chicken and Dumplings. We ordered it. What a letdown. It was Chicken Soup with dumplings thrown in. Even Campbell's Soup gets this right. They have a Chicken Soup with Dumplings and then they have Chicken and Dumplings which (I hope) you all know is a rich creamy sauce with plenty of chicken and dumplings made from biscuit batter.

So while I don't know how a Muslim or Jewish person would feel if they go in this forum I do understand the disappointment of expecting something and not getting it.

Nobody's saying we cannot have and add forums labeled Muslim Studies and Jewish Studies.

What I'm saying is that we properly label that forum to reflect what's actually in it.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 21:31 #40149

Then perhaps it would be a good idea for people who are in that forum to help bring about more teachings from the other two systems. Just to help even things out. After all, Christianity sprung forth from Judaism, and Islam sprung from Christianity. It helps bring about a more well rounded view of how the system has evolved in the three systems.

You know, so long as they remain respectful when researching and posting.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • Hee hee, well today was two solid hours of medieval gaming training. My legs are goo! Lol felt great though!
    • seeking further insight and other perspectives (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: "A stay at the crossing of Chiron and Pluto leads to intense experiences in the realm of sexuality, the use of power and as well as the issues of life and death. The awareness and maturity of your personal experience of such matters determine the type of situation you are likely to encounter." Okay, I'm seeking further perspective on how my awareness and maturity of such matters as "intense experiences in the realm of sexuality, the use of power and as well as the issues of life and death" would determine the type of situation I may encounter. Would it be don't trust anyone ever? not at all sex use of power issues of life and death that sex is a taboo subject in traditional western religious environments says more about the fearfulness of traditional religious environments than it does about sex the experience is capable of evoking extremely powerful emotional states there really is a feeling of oneness and connection that melts people together for a moment there is also a purely physical lust that is primal and raw these experiences are incredible and incredibly powerful obviously one needs a compatable partner i recomend aiming high and not being afraid of rejection as suggestions to anyone looking for such a partner the use of power always comes to this; power itself eventually defeats those unfit for it. who do you become when everyone else is subservient to you? what do you pursue when you know that you can literally have whatever you desire? at what point does being the emporer become more of a burden than a priveledge? how ought the emporer act towards his subjects? what about the emporers son? if you would be king think well on how you would address a king if held power of death over you at his whim would you be a brave counselor? would you stand on your truth or on his inclination? how do you treat those who are more powerful and how do you trealt those less powerful than yourself? life and death have you ever risked your life? have you ever been in a situation where your life was in danger? have you faced danger willingly or deliberately? do you need to prove yourself? if so to whom? and how? and what of the effects of your proof on others? do you know that if you find yourself in a situation where your life or others lives are in danger that you have at least the potential to keep some semblance of composure and to think objectively? can you develop and impmement a plan in the face of danger? how afraid are you to die? not theoretical "i know im going to heaven so im not afraid of the bad guys on tv" courage but "this may cost me my life but i dont have any other choice" kind lf courage i would say its ok to not know the answers right away also it is ok to have been afraid and to have backed down because of it what it is not ok to do is accept that you are a defeated person so what now? how does one go about answering these questions? SHOULD one deliberately seek such answers? ----- ones perspective flavors the nature of any experience such questions as i have posted flavor ones perspective so in the answers to my questions you will touch upon the answer to your question
    • Searching for Kasumigoto (Last post by Goken)
    • Red Eye, do you know why Kasumigoto deleted their old account? If you did, that might give you some insight on where to look. Maybe also think about their other interests and search those kinds of sites too. I'm sorry that you can't find your friend and I hope that you do find them someday. May the Force be with you.
    • Should Jedi carry weapons? (Last post by Hitira38)
    • I carry a Glock G19 GEN4. Mainly for a zombie apocalypse, just encase they break out one day. But also because most situations can be diffused simply by saying "I have a gun" I also live in Texas, some towns in Texas won't let you live there unless you own a gun.
    • Finding motivation (Last post by Staav Hilfurenn)
    • "The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one." Mark Twain
    • Native American Jedi... tribes, skills, get to kno... (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Hahahhaha RyuJin and I have the same name! :woohoo: Wescli Wardest Running-Wolf Black Foot, Sioux Irish American Hunting, tracking, leather working, drum and flute making, beading, knapping, cord making, bowyer fletcher (as it is called in Europe), horsemanship… and a myriad of other things. Basically, I love the outdoors. And I am very fond of heritage and native skills and crafts from most every peoples. Lol, wish I could say I chose it...told my friends (one was part cherokee the other part black foot) about a dream...afterwards they told me that the wolf was my spirit guide and then they gave me that name... I would have chosen something like soaring dragon....sounds more intimidating...
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • crystal light shadows dance in subtle conformity sweet lies sweetly spoken rolling smoothly from her lips falling shattering the cacophony of illusion revealed pierces the essence a soul can die in that sound
    • Songs that have Jedi Teachings, etc... (Last post by Gen Lu Pa)
    • Just one more song from Rush, with beautiful lyrics on the Free Will There are those who think that life Has nothing left to chance? A host of holy horrors To direct our aimless dance A planet of playthings We dance on the strings Of powers we cannot perceive The stars aren't aligned Or the gods are malign Blame is better to give than receive You can choose a ready guide In some celestial voice If you choose not to decide You still have made a choice You can choose from phantom fears And kindness that can kill I will choose a path that's clear I will choose free will There are those who think that They've been dealt a losing hand The cards were stacked against them They weren't born in Lotus-land All pre-ordained A prisoner in chains A victim of venomous fate Kicked in the face You can pray for a place In heaven's unearthly estate You can choose a ready guide In some celestial voice If you choose not to decide You still have made a choice You can choose from phantom fears And kindness that can kill I will choose a path that's clear I will choose free will Each of us A cell of awareness Imperfect and incomplete Genetic blends With uncertain ends On a fortune hunt That's far too fleet You can choose a ready guide In some celestial voice If you choose not to decide You still have made a choice You can choose from phantom fears And kindness that can kill I will choose a path that's clear I will choose free will [video]
    • The Forgiveness Boost (Last post by Vesha)
    • Quote: I never knew until somewhat recently that emotional 'arousal' in psychology does not mean sexual arousal. These days the term aroused often is taken to mean sexual but I don't think it would be accurate in that case. I think the term means more literally to wake up and increase something, in this case emotion's generally, or as Wikipedia says; Arousal is a physiological and psychological state of being awake or reactive to stimuli. It involves the activation of the reticular activating system in the brain stem, the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system, leading to increased heart rate and blood pressure and a condition of sensory alertness, mobility and readiness to respond. I guess it depends on where you from, arousal always usually meant alertness to me. Like "I aroused suspicion by putting my hand quickly into my pocket."

There are 335 visitors, 8 guests and 39 members online (3  in chat): Br. John, Shadouness, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Karn, Kitsu Tails, Joe, Nakis, Adder, Darren, Burn_Phoenix, Proteus, V-Tog, Rosalyn J, Alan, Alastor, Brenna, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Kohadre, AnubisPheonix, Silvermane, Cabur Senaar, porkapon763, Goken, Culla, Hitira38, Kameron, OB1Shinobi, Sha Karn, andyhaynes, rvm, Bbydoll, Elfogeek, Relyt Dagor, Ramadeus, Akera Star, lilishane, LLácer.

Follow Us