This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No)

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 06:03 #40114

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
While The Council would need to vote on this change I feel that input from all interested members is necessary for informed consideration.

For some time I've felt that calling this Special Interest Group Abrahamic is silly and not reflective of its contents at all. The content of the forum is 99.9%+ Christian.

History and the numbers don't support the current name. In the entire history of TOTJO I'm only aware of one member who nominally practiced the Muslim faith and only one or two who claimed the Jewish faith. I'm not attesting there are not more but stating this from my personal memory and experience.

Contrast this to the significant number of active members who are Christian Jedi. I believe the forum suffers from its current name and would be much more lively and used if we call it what it is - Christian Studies.

This is not to put off any potential member who may be Muslim or Jewish but to enhance a real need that we actually have now. We have a significant Christian population. We have a physical congregation in Minnesota with Zanthan Storm as it's Pastor and Bishop. They are Christian Jedi.

To have a group you have to have ... well ... a group.

In the future if there develops a real demand for an Islamic Studies forum or a Jewish Studies forum (and so on) we can make them.

In the beginning this forum was called The Christian Rite and it was changed on the theory of being more inclusive. That was a mistake. By trying to cast so large a net it's alienating the persons who'd actually use it.

Anyone be they guest or member is most welcome to express his or her ideas about this if interested.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 09:41 #40117

I think Christian studies or something along that line would be a more suitable name. I believe it would be a better description as well and would reflect the content better and would possibly be used more with a name change. As you stated, the Abrahamic religions vary greatly from one another, so it is hard to lump them all into one.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 10:38 #40121

I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 21:54 #40127

I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 23:12 #40129

As Br John stated though, if needed a group for Jewish, Muslim or other monotheistic religious people could be made. I don't think it would be snubbing them, as they are still welcome and another group can be made if the need or want arose. From how I see it, it is just hard to fit all God or monotheistic based religions under the Abrahamic group. Seeing as each of these often have very differing views on some stances. Also, newcomers might would be less hesitant to join if there was more of a specification of what religion. Not to stereotype, but people can be very protective of their faiths even down to how it is categorized. So in that aspect I see it as more of a help.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 02:45 #40132

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
As a non-Christian/Abrahamic Jedi I don't really have any issues other than what Jasper said.
Jasper_Ward wrote:
I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

The only thing I would add is maybe to edit the FAQ with the question 'Why is there no Judaism/Islamic special interest group?' That way if anyone ever asks then we have the thread about it and they can see it in the FAQ as well.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone accuses us of being insensitive or otherwise when regarding the views of Islam or Judaism or indeed any other religion.

So I think it is just prudent to cover all of the bases.
Apprentices: Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:33 #40133

I know that I'm not an experienced member, but I'd like to point out that I myself don't see a need for that. It will probably only cause some minor future problems (like others said: "Why is there no Islamic/Judaism group?") and the people who use this forum know that it's mostly Christian either way. It will close the door for other Abrahamic religions - not forever, of course, but might be some disappointment for new members.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:43 #40134

• Xiam
  • ID: 1027
Randi Oxford wrote:
I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
This was my thinking as well. I would have agreed to switch to Christian Rite had there been nothing but Christians, but as it was mentioned that there were a small few of the Abrahamic Rite that are not Christian, I am much more wary about it. A minority is still a number. It doesn't seem right that they should be ignored just to make the majority more comfortable (and really, how much of a change in comfort is it anyway? Christianity is an Abrahamic religion).

Plus, there's the issue of how to deal with those who aren't Christian and are looking for a place where they fit (i.e. the hypothetically nonexistent Abrahamic Rite). You can talk about placing disclaimers or answers in the FAQ or waiting for complaints, but that still takes effort on their part, when all they're wanting is to find a place where they can be comfortable, and feel a bit nervous when they can't find it.

Maybe I'm overthinking things in assuming that would be their reactions, I don't know. It just seems like a needless change. And again, .1% may be small, but it's still something worth considering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qui-Ran Demera

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 06:37 #40136

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I'm looking at this from the perspective of mislabeling or false advertising. What's actually in that forum? I'm not finding any Jewish or Muslim discussions but plenty of Christian discussions including prayers and ceremonies for a multitude of occasions.

I frequently eat and get take out from a local Black Eye Pea restaurant. The food is very good and so it the service. Several months ago my mother and I went there and the special was Chicken and Dumplings. We ordered it. What a letdown. It was Chicken Soup with dumplings thrown in. Even Campbell's Soup gets this right. They have a Chicken Soup with Dumplings and then they have Chicken and Dumplings which (I hope) you all know is a rich creamy sauce with plenty of chicken and dumplings made from biscuit batter.

So while I don't know how a Muslim or Jewish person would feel if they go in this forum I do understand the disappointment of expecting something and not getting it.

Nobody's saying we cannot have and add forums labeled Muslim Studies and Jewish Studies.

What I'm saying is that we properly label that forum to reflect what's actually in it.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 21:31 #40149

Then perhaps it would be a good idea for people who are in that forum to help bring about more teachings from the other two systems. Just to help even things out. After all, Christianity sprung forth from Judaism, and Islam sprung from Christianity. It helps bring about a more well rounded view of how the system has evolved in the three systems.

You know, so long as they remain respectful when researching and posting.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Unquestioned belief (Last post by RyuJin)
    • I chose to accept my value/purpose rather than to ignore it....I spent years refusing to acknowledge it and suffered accordingly...we can resist our purpose or we can accept it...over time we can be repurposed, but not without sufficient change...weapons and equipment get repurposed all the time... At this point in time all my talents, all my knowledge, all my experience is geared towards one purpose...I am always seeking new skills, knowledge, and experience for when the time comes to repurpose...
    • Arcade, Knight, Ceremony, 2014 (Last post by Desolous)
    • I'll be there, if only so I can stylishly disrupt it somehow. Jk, I'm proud of you, cade. You rule pretty hard, and it will be an honor for you to join our ranks.
    • UTC Time (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Quote: Lol, tru dat. Sometimes I don't think like a Jedi all that well. And some of us Jedi don't math well :silly: And some of us are only mediocre at both :lol:
    • Non-Conformity... (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: As much as Jedi are, but people still made a religion out of it.... Right, but people are alive and real they have the challenge/choice/blend of conformity or non. Palpatine is shaped by the writer to be what ever he, the writer, wants him to be.
    • Thoughts of a simple man (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each Bows Something I have touched on before but I have added a few bits. Hope you like it :) MIND BODY AND SOUL It has been my belief in recent years after discovering Ki. That it is a vehicle for all things . As a simple human it can take time to organize oneself to accept Ki As mentioned in my Great Leaning post. The Mind, Will and Ki need to balanced . One has to be in control all of the time. Right mindfulness ,right action and do not fall behind in the Way. A shorter version of the Eight fold Path. If one can break free and finally release oneself from debilitating negative emotions and limiting beliefs. One should be able to reach ones highest potential, create healthy and loving relationships, live a happy and fulfilling life by establishing new positive beliefs and releasing fearful, negative emotions. Ones’ body will communicate to ones self, clearly and specifically, if one is really willing to listen. I often go on about Ki and creating a universe from which one can operate from. Ki can be thought of as positive thinking, belief in yourself, faith, confidence, or a state of ‘Emptiness’ and unification. When it is used, ki is quite naturally in your life, at those moments when something totally captures your interest and imagination. Something like, playing a sport, working late into the morning on a project that was important to you, playing with your child, or simply spending time with someone you love. In each case, you become totally focused and completely yourself. You are achieving a wonderful effect and posses a limitless supply of energy. These experiences often define our lives, yet their occurrence often seems to be out of our control. Or are they ???? Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee Find your true self, take that path. Ushin, be mind, Moshin, false mind, Mushin, no mind, Munen, no-thought, Mushin no shin, mind of no-mind, Honshin, true mind, true spirit Jedi mind Zen mind. Budo mind, beginner's mind. What matters in all of these in my view is the concentration of thought and the prompt response of Ki to the directing will. He who deliberates and moves with the sole intent on winning at all costs, misses to a still greater extent of the Way . To be accomplished in any skill, realize the spirit of the Way. To realize the Way, develop a proper attitude ,spirit and posture in all that you do. Practice with this in mind for ten years, twenty years, and become one with your movements, then forget all of it when you practice and place yourself at the mercy of inspiration. This is mushin, munen, honshin. Musashi ( A Samurai) struggled with life's meaning. He felt there was something more important than life and meditated on this. "Sometimes the obvious is right in front of you, you just have to slow down and look for it." Truth is no where if not from within. When you reach this state, you will place yourself at the mercy of the Way. If you do not understand this, you become a slave of exterior conditions. What is required is to have a firm hold of the spirit and yet not to be conscious of the fact. This is a very difficult task achieved only after long spiritual training. The Way, is moving with the rhythmic movement of the spirit. To realize this, I believe you must subject youself to the discipline of The Way. The Way is the doctrine of mushin. The insight of the following poem will lead to the secrets of mushin, where everything is being left to Nature itself. (I pinched this of a site I was doing some research on) "The moon has no intent to cast its shadow anywhere, Nor does the pond design to lodge the moon; How serene the water of Hirosawa!" To realize The Way, you must have the proper training. The Way can be harsh, so some people think but I actually see The Way as being “Empty”and is straight to the point. There are no shades of gray. A clear, undisturbed mind. A healthy body will in turn look after the spirit. You must keep the mind situation as it is and as the truth. The worst is your ego which sways you. If you have not gone astray by ego, you are able to accomplish your purpose. For Zen, martial arts, tea ceremony and any others, this mind is common. Both at the time of practice and at the important time, to get into the habit of keeping your ordinary and constant mind is the best way. For example, at a martial arts match, if you are always stained, you lack for this ordinary and constant mind. A good player can always keep a constant mind. "True knowledge cannot be imparted by words. The Zen mind, enlightened and disciplined, is able to rise above mere technique and go straight to the core of being...to reach the soul... the essence."
    • Quantum theory proves what?? (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: I doubt any real scientist would make the claim of disproving such a thing. At least not without alot of evidence to back it up. Which was my point, it seems people only make the scientific claim one way.... Which is ultimately, as I see it , wishful thinking. Also, think as small and as fine as you want, but just as you cannot fit God in those gaps, neither can you fit consciousness just because you want it there. I not so sure about that maybe consciousness is in those gaps? You can call it god if you want, I don't know. Wait and see what real scientist come up with next and after that and after that and......
    • Tournement video (Last post by rugadd)
    • The music was added by the guy we hired to film the competition. It was not playing when I did my form. He put this video together as a thank you for me getting him the filming job.

There are 121 visitors, 5 guests and 22 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, RyuJin, Jestor, Joe, Adhara, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Clone_Warrior, MCSH, Undome, Arcade, Llama Su, Kamizu, Trey, Cyrith, Edan, Pan, jasonwilkins, jadedbehan, KalSterner, Knigma, GreyWesbrock, Targeran Arynal.

Follow Us