This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No)

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 06:03 #40114

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
While The Council would need to vote on this change I feel that input from all interested members is necessary for informed consideration.

For some time I've felt that calling this Special Interest Group Abrahamic is silly and not reflective of its contents at all. The content of the forum is 99.9%+ Christian.

History and the numbers don't support the current name. In the entire history of TOTJO I'm only aware of one member who nominally practiced the Muslim faith and only one or two who claimed the Jewish faith. I'm not attesting there are not more but stating this from my personal memory and experience.

Contrast this to the significant number of active members who are Christian Jedi. I believe the forum suffers from its current name and would be much more lively and used if we call it what it is - Christian Studies.

This is not to put off any potential member who may be Muslim or Jewish but to enhance a real need that we actually have now. We have a significant Christian population. We have a physical congregation in Minnesota with Zanthan Storm as it's Pastor and Bishop. They are Christian Jedi.

To have a group you have to have ... well ... a group.

In the future if there develops a real demand for an Islamic Studies forum or a Jewish Studies forum (and so on) we can make them.

In the beginning this forum was called The Christian Rite and it was changed on the theory of being more inclusive. That was a mistake. By trying to cast so large a net it's alienating the persons who'd actually use it.

Anyone be they guest or member is most welcome to express his or her ideas about this if interested.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 09:41 #40117

I think Christian studies or something along that line would be a more suitable name. I believe it would be a better description as well and would reflect the content better and would possibly be used more with a name change. As you stated, the Abrahamic religions vary greatly from one another, so it is hard to lump them all into one.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 10:38 #40121

I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 21:54 #40127

I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 23:12 #40129

As Br John stated though, if needed a group for Jewish, Muslim or other monotheistic religious people could be made. I don't think it would be snubbing them, as they are still welcome and another group can be made if the need or want arose. From how I see it, it is just hard to fit all God or monotheistic based religions under the Abrahamic group. Seeing as each of these often have very differing views on some stances. Also, newcomers might would be less hesitant to join if there was more of a specification of what religion. Not to stereotype, but people can be very protective of their faiths even down to how it is categorized. So in that aspect I see it as more of a help.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 02:45 #40132

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
As a non-Christian/Abrahamic Jedi I don't really have any issues other than what Jasper said.
Jasper_Ward wrote:
I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

The only thing I would add is maybe to edit the FAQ with the question 'Why is there no Judaism/Islamic special interest group?' That way if anyone ever asks then we have the thread about it and they can see it in the FAQ as well.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone accuses us of being insensitive or otherwise when regarding the views of Islam or Judaism or indeed any other religion.

So I think it is just prudent to cover all of the bases.
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:33 #40133

I know that I'm not an experienced member, but I'd like to point out that I myself don't see a need for that. It will probably only cause some minor future problems (like others said: "Why is there no Islamic/Judaism group?") and the people who use this forum know that it's mostly Christian either way. It will close the door for other Abrahamic religions - not forever, of course, but might be some disappointment for new members.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:43 #40134

• Xiam
  • ID: 1027
Randi Oxford wrote:
I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
This was my thinking as well. I would have agreed to switch to Christian Rite had there been nothing but Christians, but as it was mentioned that there were a small few of the Abrahamic Rite that are not Christian, I am much more wary about it. A minority is still a number. It doesn't seem right that they should be ignored just to make the majority more comfortable (and really, how much of a change in comfort is it anyway? Christianity is an Abrahamic religion).

Plus, there's the issue of how to deal with those who aren't Christian and are looking for a place where they fit (i.e. the hypothetically nonexistent Abrahamic Rite). You can talk about placing disclaimers or answers in the FAQ or waiting for complaints, but that still takes effort on their part, when all they're wanting is to find a place where they can be comfortable, and feel a bit nervous when they can't find it.

Maybe I'm overthinking things in assuming that would be their reactions, I don't know. It just seems like a needless change. And again, .1% may be small, but it's still something worth considering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qui-Ran Demera

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 06:37 #40136

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I'm looking at this from the perspective of mislabeling or false advertising. What's actually in that forum? I'm not finding any Jewish or Muslim discussions but plenty of Christian discussions including prayers and ceremonies for a multitude of occasions.

I frequently eat and get take out from a local Black Eye Pea restaurant. The food is very good and so it the service. Several months ago my mother and I went there and the special was Chicken and Dumplings. We ordered it. What a letdown. It was Chicken Soup with dumplings thrown in. Even Campbell's Soup gets this right. They have a Chicken Soup with Dumplings and then they have Chicken and Dumplings which (I hope) you all know is a rich creamy sauce with plenty of chicken and dumplings made from biscuit batter.

So while I don't know how a Muslim or Jewish person would feel if they go in this forum I do understand the disappointment of expecting something and not getting it.

Nobody's saying we cannot have and add forums labeled Muslim Studies and Jewish Studies.

What I'm saying is that we properly label that forum to reflect what's actually in it.
Founder of The Order

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 21:31 #40149

Then perhaps it would be a good idea for people who are in that forum to help bring about more teachings from the other two systems. Just to help even things out. After all, Christianity sprung forth from Judaism, and Islam sprung from Christianity. It helps bring about a more well rounded view of how the system has evolved in the three systems.

You know, so long as they remain respectful when researching and posting.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Avatar Discussion (Episode 1, TLA) (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Quote: "Why don't you enjoy a cup of calming Jasmine tea?" "I don't need any calming tea!" Here we see the beginning of Iroh's wisdom and the foil to Zuko's determination. Zuko has been long searching for the Avatar. I want to make these discussions work with the timeline, so let's not assume we know WHY he's looking for the Avatar other than that he's attempting to regain his honor. Iroh, a seemingly worldly man, tries very hard to give Zuko a way to relax and accept his current position. We talk about this so much with the Tao and the Force. Living "in" the moment is a staple saying of new age Westerners. We like to think that staying present and grounded is a healing property for our lives as it reduces the stresses of the future and the nightmares of the past. Iroh sees Zuko troubled by both so his motivations are clear and consistent with how a Jedi Master might advise his hot headed apprentice. Let's discuss the benefits of living Iroh's way. Relaxed, content with tea and Pai Sho paisho.pbworks.com/w/page/11167060/FrontPage, we can see that Iroh is well-adjusted, even in his retired status. Little do we know, right now, the depth of Iroh's wisdom. Let's not spoil that journey yet! Parallel to the Monomyth: Quote: "No, I didn't know him. I mean... I knew people that knew him.." Aang refuses the call in this episode. He spends his whole time trying to get away from his responsibilities as an Avatar. We will find out later why this is. But, for now, let's discuss what it means to refuse the call. What could Aang do right now to change his position? Wisdom = ADD? Quote: "But first, I need to finish my roast duck!" "PENGUINS!!!!" I just thought this was funny. You see it as a trope in many movies showing off "wise" characters. Oftentimes, they are silly and a little attention deficit disorder. Thoughts on why this might be? Quote: "If you want to be a Bender, you have to let go of fear."
    • Grey Jedi Code Anyone? (Last post by Gregory)
    • i tend to prefer the Jed'aii Code. The Jedi Code seems to encourage suppression of natural negative urges and emotions. Instead, they should be accepted as part of us and analyzed, but their energy channeled into pro-social action. Suppression of so-called dark urges in the books seems to have led to the creation of the Sith, and in real life, such things as the Church Sex scandals. total suppression of natural urges seems to lead to extremely negative long term consequences.
    • Rape Culture (Last post by Star Forge)
    • Quote: Quote: I would just offer that the US is a mostly Christian country, so it is not an American thing, but a Christian doctrine which is prevalent in the US due to religious majority. ? Jews do it for religious reasons, as do muslims. Wherever they may live, whichever nationality they may hold. In north america, you guys do it because the holistic enema-loving masturbation-hating vegetarian guy who invented corn flakes told your great grand parents they should. He failed to produce any offspring and was chucked out of his church. There are far more christians outside the US than within it, and they do not practise male genital mutilation. In the US it has to do with national culture, not religion. The majority of those who practise it there merely happen to be christian. The bulk of christianity today sees its roots in ancient europe, and the ancient europeans found circumcision abominable. Only very few christians (with african roots) pratice it religiously. Quote: The question I pose is this... Do you think that the proliferation of violent games, the use of sex in advertising, the long overdue acceptance of gay and lesbian relations, the isolation and disconnect of people caused by the internet and other social media, has in any way affected the increase in rape crimes based on feelings of desperation, perceived empowerment, manipulation of the opposite sex or same sex? Could this be a reason for Rape Cultures? If statistics on this were in anyway not completely made up, i'd say gender equality is to blame. Just compare sweden with the united arab emirates. To be fair, though, I am sure there are some Christian Zionists who look highly upon it due to their EXTREME Philo-Semitism. Circumcision pisses me off, but can you imagine the uproar if we ever got it banned here? "Dose anti-Semitic BASTIDS!!!!!"
    • The Secret LIfe of Cell phones (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm having deja vu to a topic not that long ago.. Yes... you can conceal conversations etc on your phones, laptops etc... you can hide these things behind passwords and firewalls ...but eventually your behaviour will give you away if you know you're doing something your partner wouldn't approve of.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • Vacations in Germany 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 5 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 5 kg biceps
    • Who's your favorite philosopher? (Last post by Edan)
    • "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." "Swiftly each particle of matter vanishes into the universal Substance; swiftly each item of causation is reassumed into the universal Reason; swiftly the rememberance of all things is buried in the gulf of eternity." "Let not the future disturb you. You will meet, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." Marcus Aurelius
    • Found a site for the physical Temple :D (Last post by Corwinani)
    • Build a physical temple could be extremely useful, but without the special location could be just like any other building. But if we build the Jedi temple on a special place like a "WORLD GRID" of electromagnetic energy we could have extraordinary help with feeling the force and learning how to use and control the force. ( For Everybody who need to know more about world grid please watch Ancient aliens SEASON 3, episode 13 ) Force be with us
    • "The Interview" gets pulled (Last post by Adder)
    • True I guess, all the movies were the US President and family are hunted, kidnapped or killed are fake characters.
    • Hell Fire (Last post by Adder)
    • Both states as described above seem accessible while alive as experiences, perhaps only briefly, but I guess we'll never now if they exist as permanent strata's which some part of us join after death. I do notice they seem to conveniently represent the two polar extremes of physical existence, on one end a bliss so intense it tends to best compare almost as a type of fire, and on the other a pain so intense it dissolves ones very essence.... so I'm not sure it's anything more then a projection and fantasy from those who have tasted those extreme states of mind/spirit/body. Then again anything outside our capacity to experience might well be expected to be represented as those extremities - and need not mean they are not generated from something outside our sensory capacities. I guess an interesting question could be would you want to experience them both while alive, briefly, and why... what would you do with that knowledge!?

There are 661 visitors, 5 guests and 17 members online (one in chat): Shadouness, Jestor, Connor L., Proteus, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, Llama Su, cpjh, ChillBroBaggins, Silvermane, Mathew Erickson, Cabur Senaar, Quae-Do Lumen, Cyan Sarden, Tk768, Gregory, Darling Harbour, marco, Everett, ParCandroon.

Follow Us