Animal Guides Again

More
08 Mar 2021 21:55 - 08 Mar 2021 21:56 #359073 by River
Replied by River on topic Animal Guides Again
I bet we learned the meditation from the same foxy lady, so to speak.

I'll have to think about the idea of animal guides changing. Like I said above, I'd always thought there was one sort of permanent one and then others come as they're needed for as long as they're needed.

Yay for new ideas!
Last edit: 08 Mar 2021 21:56 by River.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2021 14:03 - 09 Mar 2021 14:07 #359078 by Carlos.Martinez3
Glad to see people walking around and finding things for themselves. Glad to see you around again friend. If you look up the definitions you will find these two ...
Definition of totem. 1a : an object (such as an animal or plant) serving as the emblem of a family or clan and often as a reminder of its ancestry also : a usually carved or painted representation of such an object. b : a family or clan identified by a common totemic object.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/totem

In certain spiritual traditions or cultures, spirit animal refers to a spirit which helps guide or protect a person on a journey and whose characteristics that person shares or embodies. It is also metaphor, often humorous, for someone or something a person relates to or admires.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/spirit-animal/

Now, back when there was no Religion or any organized anything, before books, there was nature. Before myth there was the nature of animals. Some people and clans and "peoples" used Totems to guide their actions like a good idea or a great form to remember. It was given usually by ritual or by proses or even by time. This is what was set before the world was so neatly organized by pen and paper.
A word of caution to finding animal totems and animal sprits with out guidance. Don't feed every thing that comes to you to eat. Be wise and be smart. Do some research if you can. IN THIS CASE ASK THOSE WHO ARE FAMILIAR and FREQUENT THIS IDEA. Ask those who have them and who learn with them and incorporate them. Taking on "some one else totem or animal" is rarely a good thing. Choosing the cooler or more popular one is even much more of a harm than others think.

I have a Totem given to me by some one else. One thing to remember is that you cannot choose your totem spirit, rather it chooses or has already chosen you. The Spirit chooses you and they decide to whom they will reveal themselves. Much of the process of identifying your spirit animal is paying attention to both your past and your present.

Or so I have been told.

A spirit animal is characterized as a teacher or messenger that comes in the form of an animal and has a personal relationship to an individual. Other names might be animal guides, spirit helpers, spirit allies, power animals, or animal helpers. It is believed that you do not choose the animal, rather it chooses, or has already chosen you.

In both instances, we are rarely the ones to make that choice and it is some one else who gives us or grants us the connection. Given or earned or bestowed.

My totem was given to me by my mentor. Yes, before you ask it is tattooed to me. It was done the old fashion way by stick and ink and pin. Yes, it did get infected and yes, I did need medicine. The reality is without these actual connections, I could not stand today with them.

These are not new ideas by any means but older ones. I love my spirit animals. I don't pray but I do meditate and ask the "spirit "of things to often help me. Animals included.

When we are chosen, its pretty obvious to us only and that individual granting the Totem. May the Force we share and many more, be with you Really River and may it bless your seek!

Ive been reading lately Reynard the Fox and I have to say ... The TYPE of animals we are or attached to or get our lead from as well ,can play just as an important part as who and what we listen to. Again, character comes into play with spirit animals and Totems big time. There are jerks in the animal world as there are good and beneficial. Not every animal is kind. Not every trick is bad.
Pastor Carlos

Happy seeking again and may the Force keep you safe.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 14:07 by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: River

More
09 Mar 2021 19:20 #359089 by River
I'm afraid I'm still not understanding the differences in the terms spirit animal, totem animal, and animals guide. I think I'm too stuck in the idea that some are forever and some are temporary and there are different words for those, and I can't let go of that enough to figure out what people are actually saying.

But lemme try.

So, spiritual versions of animals can come to us, however we perceive that, at any time. Sometimes it's to bring us a teaching, or to guide us through a difficult time, or whatever. For some reason we need a quality that they have or a journey they can take us on. Those are animal spirits or animal guides.

And sometimes there are animals we just identify with. We have similar traits, either in a deep and spiritual way or a more superficial way, and we form a connection to them. We can also learn from them and they can guide us but the original connection is based on mutual traits. These are totems.

Does that sound at all accurate?

More
09 Mar 2021 20:45 - 09 Mar 2021 20:47 #359090 by Diana W
Replied by Diana W on topic Animal Guides Again
The terms all mean the same thing. Different people call it different things.

We have totems that are with us as guides. But we also have totems that come to us with messages to pay attention to for the present moment, or about a specific thing that we want to know about.

Do you know about how to ask questions and get answers from the animals you see throughout the day (online and in your environment)?

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 20:47 by Diana W.

More
09 Mar 2021 20:56 #359092 by River
Oooh! Well that explains why I wasn't understanding the "different" definitions lol!

As far as asking questions... My method has basically been to note their presence and then look up what it might mean in a book or website. I'm definitely open to learning more effective ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Diana W

More
09 Mar 2021 22:01 #359095 by Diana W
Replied by Diana W on topic Animal Guides Again
In the early 2000's I lived with a wiccan priest who taught me about these kinds of things.

One of the more useful things regarding totems was to ask the "universe" a question, then note animals I saw throughout the day both online and in my environment. Then look up their meanings. From the meanings, see which keywords or phrases resonated most. I noted the animals in order too, so then I could make sentences out of the keywords and phrases in chronological order to get insight to the question.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, River

More
10 Mar 2021 00:37 #359100 by River
I actually currently have an art commission I've been asked to do for someone who just lost a baby. I have an idea about what to do but I'm not quite sure and because it's such a heavy and important piece I'm feeling really driven to get it "right." I think I'll try this technique about it. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diana W

More
10 Mar 2021 14:24 #359111 by Vampiric_Conure
Replied by Vampiric_Conure on topic Animal Guides Again
Seems I'm jumping into this convo a touch late :)

Alas, you're correct in saying different totems visit in different areas of one's life. When I was a kid, it was horse and Dinosaur. For a while it was Orca. Now it's bear and Wolf/dog :) . I'm more of a shaman, so I visit the world tree in my meditations, but it's the same idea. Go out and meet your totem.

Sometimes the totem you least expect comes and says hi. Like me and bear :) Turns out my dad's native american name is 'walking bear'!

Loving this thread!

Beware of dog? Forget the dog, BUDGIE IS A KILLER, TOO!

Teaching Master: Edan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diana W

More
10 Mar 2021 14:27 #359112 by River
Bear has recently shown up in a big way for me; the past 3 or 4 weeks maybe, and showing non signs of taking leave any time soon. It feels like maybe not coincidence that were both here and that you've mentioned Bear :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
10 Mar 2021 15:32 #359114 by Carlos.Martinez3
Same here tis past year, I dont wanna say it too presumptuous but Iv'e seen bears these past few years. They seem to be telling me something as well. The bear is a kinna NURTURE for me in my own path, like a mama bear so I tend to listen more now than I did before. When I say I have seen a Bear I do mean in dreams and on walls and in pictures, they are more- noticeable for me these past few years. Just more evident its been there this whole time. For me, the bear is the action of amazing, the book reading part of the research part like the reward of hunting and of foraging. Honey!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diana W, River

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi