Creationism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2012 02:50 #51424 by
Replied by on topic Re: Creationism
After spending more time thinking about it, I have to ask......why does it really matter? Seriously. We as a society spend so much time arguing about another persons belief system. Why? What is the point? There are a million things in this world that bother the hell out of me, yes, but I find it a waste of energy to argue about it. I get up, I eat, I poop and pee, I work, just like everyone else. What I believe has no effect in how society functions. Unless what someone believes is harmful, I really see no use in arguing. Someone believing God created everything in 7 days is not harmful to you. So, why does it matter?

I do like to open people's eyes, and I do like talking about different points of views with people, but in the end, it always leads to arguing and people acting like children. I've lost count of the debates I have literally walked away from because someone started raising their voice or name calling or belittling another person. I have ZERO respect for people who take that rout, and want nothing to do with them until I see them grow up and not take that rout. I don't tolerate it for my beliefs, and I don't tolerate it for another persons belief, where I agree with them or not. I will stand up for someone whether I agree with them or not...this includes radical creationists.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2012 03:15 #51428 by
When you get to Alan Watts you may find a different notion of the futility of pondering our place in the universe.

More
24 Feb 2012 03:15 - 24 Feb 2012 03:17 #51429 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Re: Creationism
I agree with the general live and let live philosophy... however the times I've encountered people like this they are far from willing to let anyone who doesn't believe in their ways go without a fight be it verbal or physical. Like I've said before elsewhere I have no problems with what people choose to believe as long as A) Their beliefs don't in any way harm others or the world around them and B)They don't force their children to believe what they believe.

I have a number of really good friends who are christian, they chose that path for themselves it wasn't something they were forced into because of complete intolerance from family or local society. They live happy, good lives and are willing to discuss at length their belief system so far as to admitting that their beliefs might be wrong (they still believe, but they are very open minded when it comes to their beliefs). As far as I can see people who are completely close-minded are one of the biggest problems today and have been the cause for much of the suffering throughout history (not just religious zealots mind you, anyone with a completely closed mind).

I agree personally with most of what Hadi (and pretty much everyone here) has said so far! I agree that we're all just human and should get along... that's one of the reasons Jedi seem like such a great idea, we're the mediators, the peacemakers, the people who don't pick a side but choose to stand in the middle and help both sides see common ground. Unfortunately there are some people out there who are unwilling to even consider anything outside of their beliefs and are willing to go to any extremes to convert other to their beliefs and attack those who do not believe in what they believe. It's my greatest hope therefor that somehow a mass change in consciousness will someday take place, after which any belief that seeks to divide humanity will simply cease to hold any potency.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 24 Feb 2012 03:17 by Locksley.

More
24 Feb 2012 06:06 #51437 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Creationism
How can the creationist issue be separated from the Bible Literalist issue? Genesis gives two different accounts of creation and they contradict each other. Later in the Old Testament The Bible clearly states that Earth is fixed and unmovable with four corners. I'm sure you all know what happened to Galileo for saying Earth was not the center of the universe.

I've never met a Creationist who did not frame this as an argument for believing in God or not. As though to believe in evolution was the same as not believing in God.

This is refreshing: http://ThankGodForEvolution.com/

Founder of The Order

More
24 Feb 2012 06:36 #51438 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Creationism
I've thought perhaps when human populations were low, and life was real tough thousands of years ago, that metaphysical spirituality might have been more accessible to people, and as a result a message to guide people to a higher appreciation of it would be practically useful and therefore popular. Though, like a hollywood movie done today about a real world event, for it to be popular it has to be 90% rubbish to keep people's attention and to use contexts relevant to the lives of the readers. So I dont take it literally and instead see the messages as symbolic langauge to the nature of metaphysical spirituality and methods to relate to it. So if someone wants to believe in Genesis literally then I just intepret that to mean they are trying to fully immerse their conscious identity into the story of the book perhaps to maximise its intended purpose. Any evanglism from them in that regard is a sign of the power of their belief and not something to be afraid of, but obviously its rude for anyone to push their beliefs onto other people who dont want to listen or participate.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
24 Feb 2012 07:13 #51443 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Re: Creationism

Br. John wrote: How can the creationist issue be separated from the Bible Literalist issue? Genesis gives two different accounts of creation and they contradict each other. Later in the Old Testament The Bible clearly states that Earth is fixed and unmovable with four corners. I'm sure you all know what happened to Galileo for saying Earth was not the center of the universe.

I've never met a Creationist who did not frame this as an argument for believing in God or not. As though to believe in evolution was the same as not believing in God.

This is refreshing: http://ThankGodForEvolution.com/

Haha! When someone tries to justify Genesis being truth, I bust out the "God created the earth" first (in darkness) and then he made day and night, when we now know factually that it requires a star to create a planet, and therefore the earth couldn't have been created before day and night.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
24 Feb 2012 07:34 #51444 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Creationism

Though, like a hollywood movie done today about a real world event, for it to be popular it has to be 90% rubbish to keep people's attention and to use contexts relevant to the lives of the readers.

So, you're saying christianity is a crappy religion because it is essentially based on some popular hollywood movie?

Attachment rageguy.jpg not found

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2012 07:45 #51445 by
Many faiths do share the creationism as the way that Earth been created (not exclusively Abrahamists). Others beliving in The Dream (subjectivity) as some peoples in the Big Bang (or other objectivist theories).

The better thing to do would be to travel back in time to know for sure (with dr. Emmett Brown's machine or to pass arround the the sun in hyperexponential speed or with Superman spinning arround the Earth at light speed? lol). Till there, to live in harmony is the better thing to do. Because we can't proove any thories (without any doubts and with a absolute certitude), such "fights" are trivial and futile.

More
24 Feb 2012 08:15 #51447 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Creationism
Does anyone here believe that the universe is 6,000 to 8,000 years old and humans appeared ready made much as we are now around 4,000 to 6,000 BCE?

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2012 09:06 #51450 by
I believe most modern day physicists would agree that the universe may be around 14 billion years old and Earth would be around 3.5 - 4 billion years old. Over the previous decades the Catholic church and many other religions world wide have attempted to align their view points with modern day physics findings.

However, like many have already posed in this thread, your belief is your belief. You don't have to side with science, but to me it does seem more logical. I wont hound you for opposing to the math. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi