The Kindness of Strangers

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #9947 by
The Kindness of Strangers was created by
This evening after having a fairly uneventful day my fiancee his aunt and i decided to stop at Applebee's while we were out. Now mind you, the only reason we even stopped in there was because of a gift card his aunt received for Christmas. As many of you are already familiar with, our financial situation is almost dire. But we wanted to spoil ourselves as we are unable to do so the majority of the time. We sat down smiled at the people around us ordered, waited, and then ate. A time passed and we were finishing our food and had just asked for refills on our drinks when, before leaving the table, our host asked us the most peculiar (sp?) question \"you do know the people who were sitting there (he pointed to the table just across the walk-way) payed for your checks right?\" We were slightly stunned and our silence was very shortlived. \"What,\" we eached asked in amazement while thinking of who was sitting there. They hadn't said a think to us but had paid for our food and left. Now i can not do the same as i wish full heartedly that i could but it has encouraged me to do what ever i can within reason for others. I have been on that path for some time now but when thinking about what do we trully do for one another. Think back over this past year and try to remember what you have done for others and what others have done for you. As for myself i try to help those i love for i am somewhat incapable to help others for a variety of reasons but still. There is my challenge to you. What good deeds have you been a part of?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 3 months ago #9948 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:The Kindness of Strangers
Thats a fantastic story. Well April we all here have made a good start by trying to live a Jedi way of life. I think we can be proud of ourselves and motivated to continue.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

More
16 years 3 months ago #9949 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:The Kindness of Strangers
A random act of goodness...what a novel idea. We all can take a lesson from your story April.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #9958 by
Replied by on topic Re:The Kindness of Strangers
I like to think that I have done for those around me without expecting in return. But of course these things are usually for my friends or those I work with because I trust that they would do the samething. I try to help anyway I can. I have recently enrolled in a charity, who provide assistance to War vets and their families due to dismemberment or death. I don't know if you would count holding doors for random people and mothers with children, or helping the elderly with simple tasks. I do these things without thinking. I always keep the needs of others in mind, in what ever I do. Especially when comes to Family, friends, or my military subordinates. I guess its second nature, as they say.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #9977 by
Thank you for posting this story, you have inspired me to do more for my fellow man. Too often I focus on the negative aspects in life an often forget the amazing kindness that people have. Thank you for reminding me.

More
16 years 3 months ago #9978 by Zanthan Storm
This is truly an amazing story. An example of human compassion if there was one.

Zanthan Storm
AKA Rev. Michael Ziskovsky OCP D.Div.

Master Knight of Jediism
Founder of Roseville, MN Chapter of TOTJO

Current Apprentice: The Coyote
Past Master: GM Neaj Pa Bol
Past Apprentices: Sr. Knight Kira, Knight Myos, Doriann

"Let no one thing control your life, seek to be complete and at peace."

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
16 years 3 months ago #9989 by Neaj Pa Bol
It's amazing the sultity of kindness when you do not expect it. In the Jedi creed this a reminder of that sultity that we as Jedi should live each and every day. Doesn't mean we can do what source of kindness April was given but there are many ways.

Thank you April for sharing this with all!!

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10008 by
You are all welcome for it. I know that kindness is far and to few, especially in the area i live. In this area i am surprised when someone holds a door, especially if they are 'gangbanger', the little act of kindness i see from them everyday is encouraging. And then on the other side i see richie rich that just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves, anyway, I really hope that i can do good in the comming year. And i wish the best for all of you to do the same.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi