education on global climate change.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9837 by
It has been my observation that many people are uneducated in the realm of basic environmental sciences and global climate change.

I wish to open a dialogue for those who wish learn and discuss the facts and fictions within the subject. As this is a potentially explosive and heated topic, I must insist that those posting here follow some very important rules.

1. No unsupported theories. If you have a comment or tidbit of "fact" on this subject then you must provide access to the information which leads to your opinions and theories.

2.Resist confirmation bias. If you dont know what this is then look it up before going any further.

3.keep political views out of it. This is not a discussion on government or policy.Anyone who brings up slander or insult forfeits their validity.

And if you find yourself being angered by anything you read here, then recognise the need for you to acknowledge that something is causing a fear within you which is leading to your anger. Isolate the fear and master it before moving on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9839 by
Thank you, i am very glad that there are some guidelines here. people can blow things out of purportion for no reason at all so often. Well, anyway.

A few observations that i have made myself have been the dramatic temperature changes in the area over my own lifetime. When i was in Kindergarten it snowed here. Over 20 years ago. Also, throughout most of my schooling the santa anna winds would blow shortly after getting back off of summer break. Now, this past year it snowed, the winds showed up late and didn't last that long. Also, it was unseasonally cold for Holloween, i must admit it has been cold in the past but i was able to go out with a very skimpy outfit on and just a coat. It hasn't been that bad but, this past year we didn't want to stay out to long, we even moved around a lot to stay warm, and trust me the people i know really don't care for moving around a lot, lol. The weather has gotten a bit crazy from my percpective (sp?). I don't know a lot about what is really going on though. I have heard rumors of climate changes and the "end of the world" or perhaps i should say the "armegedon." But i won't go into them now out of respect for this forum. I don't want to start a heated debate without the facts.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 4 months ago #9844 by Jon
Lol, well Sy Odynaga I`m glad you`ve put the rules straight. But i think in my case I will let the spirit guide me in what to say and make my humble contribution. I don`t think that anyone else either should have reservations in making their contribution no matter how well versed they are in the facts.

Certainly education is a matter for consideration on the issue of pollution and consumption (which leads to global warming), but we are also dealing with an attitude of refusal to deal with the matter. This goes from a countries citizens to its politicians. There are people who just don`t want to do with one TV, but have 2,3,4... , or insist on a pick up truck when really a smaller car will do. For fear of loosing profits in industry governments are reluctant to clamp down on emission, or check cars for their emission level. There are places where such effort are made, so it is possible. Priorities is certainly an issue. If I were to give facts then this would inadvertedly be critical of certain government policies. So I will leave it at that.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 4 months ago #9845 by Jon
As far as my situation here in Germany is concerned the Government has enforced the following to fight unneccessary emision and global warming:
1. All housing has to have insulated windows and doors. The costs will obviously rise for the consumer but this will also create more jobs.

2. All cars of people in city areas have to be tested in CO2 emission, and be classified. The level of taxation depends respectively on what class you are in.

3. A deal in the EU makes three main promises to be obtained by over the next 13 years:

_ Greenhouse gas emissions will be cut by at least 20 percent from 1990 levels;

_ The EU will produce 20 percent of its power through renewable energy, an increase from the current figure of around 6 percent;

_ One-tenth of all cars and trucks in the 27 EU nations should be running on biofuels made from plants.

4. Brandenburger scientists want to store resulting CO2 from industry under the ground.<br><br>Post edited by: Jon, at: 2007/12/21 05:19

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9846 by
I have heard that by filtering certain gas threw water helps to make those gas clean again, why not attempt something of that nature instead of just storing it underground? Where will it go from there? What will happen as long term effects? I am very worried for the home which has been given to us. We have ruined it. Some may argue that things would have been this way, even without human interferance but that doesn't stop the fact that we helped it along. Anyway, i get angry at humankind sometimes, sorry for that. Please, don't take my outburst personally, it just happens sometimes.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 4 months ago #9847 by Jon
Anora^una_Ilorn wrote:

I have heard that by filtering certain gas threw water helps to make those gas clean again, why not attempt something of that nature instead of just storing it underground? Where will it go from there? What will happen as long term effects? I am very worried for the home which has been given to us. We have ruined it. Some may argue that things would have been this way, even without human interferance but that doesn't stop the fact that we helped it along. Anyway, i get angry at humankind sometimes, sorry for that. Please, don't take my outburst personally, it just happens sometimes.

Lol, no its ok. Actually I agree and can understand how you feel. But I think its important that thoughts are made about it. At least its a start.

Post edited by: Jon, at: 2007/12/21 08:45

Post edited by: Jon, at: 2007/12/21 08:47<br><br>Post edited by: Jon, at: 2007/12/21 08:49

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi