Jedis and Tattoos? Your thoughts and comments

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81110 by
This topic is not something to cause controversy or arguments. I am tossing this out as a discussion topic.

Jedis wearing tattoos.

For me, it's no big thing. To me, tattoos are a journey through life, an expression of who a person is. If a Jedi wished to mark his or her journey on his Path, I would suggest they think on the permanence of the idea.

What would you think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81111 by
To each her own. Tattoos can be classy, trashy, and everything in between. It all depends on each persons point of view...and this day and age, it seems, tattoos are no longer taboo.

Though, have you heard of those people who get paid to get a tattoo to promote a good or service? :blink:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81112 by
Haven't heard about that one.

I agree, to each his own. At the moment, I'm designing a memorial tattoo to honor my mother who passed on last month.

Also, classy or trashy could also be due to the artist. There are some absolutely fantastic artists out there, and then there are those people who think that, just because they have a machine, some ink, and a design, they're the best thing in the world. *sigh*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81113 by
I think the same as Wendaline. They are no longer taboo.

Personally I have no tattoos, but I probably make me one in the future. I think they should be something with some kind of sense, that have some personal signification. Eg. I practice martial arts so making something related to it, or as I'm musician maybe something with a music theme, i don't know.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81117 by
Tattoos a personal, I have one, I want more...but I heavily think about it. I thought for two years as I designed my one tattoo. I still haven't gotten my next tattoo yet because I am still thinking it. I like symbols that mean a lot to me, but as the pagan I talked to said, they should be in the mind and not on the body.

More
11 years 4 months ago #81124 by rugadd
When and if I become a Knight a simple BW on my left shoulder of the Temple symbol. My wife and I are getting tattoos we designed for each other in the form of small mandala on the chest, over the heart. These will be our wedding rings. I have no other tattoos and don't really intend on getting anymore than those mentioned above.

I have no problem with body art. Tattoos have been culturally significant all over the planet through out history. Their symbolism, uniqueness and inherent mysticism automatically legitimize them to me. Body art is just that. Sure, there are some things one might find unappealing,but nobody has threatened to tattoo them on ME, so...

rugadd

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81126 by
I was actually one of those stupid people who was Young and Dumb. I got drunk at a party and woke up with two of them.
THAT was a long time ago. I got married to a tattoo artist and, for almost 20 years, helped him run his own shop. Trust me, I've seen the good and bad of tattoos.
My forte' when it came to tattoos was drawing custom tattoos and doing research. If someone wanted a specific design involving certain non-christian religious symbols, I'd dive into my library.
Before the person got the tattoo, I made sure that the person in question understood the meaning of the design. Nine chances out of ten, they were fine with it, but the other 1 percent, I actually got thanked for keeping them out of trouble. :D

We're separated now, but we actually do talk and I pick his brain every now and again when I need ideas for a book.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81141 by
I want my tattoos to reflect achievements and experiences. I'm going to get a Sith star when my studies reach a further point for instance. I also want a Mark of Khorne, personal heraldry, an ongoing project detailling my occult/spiritual/religious studies (maybe), and a triumvirate of my spirit animal and my two totems.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81151 by
While I agree that tattoos are not necessarily taboo anymore, there are still people out there who will fire you from a job just for having one. Even if it isn't visible and they have only heard you mention it's existence they will find something to fire you for. Then again maybe that's just the East Coast...or just where I live. :dry:

I don't have one yet but I do have 5 of them planned. I've been designing them for a few years now. Just have to get the money to pay for them. The main one I want done is very large, highly detailed and really expensive. I was told it would take 7 3-hour sessions and would cost $2100 :woohoo: ...and that was before I decided to add color to it. :blink:

I was always told that before you get a tattoo done, you should make a drawing of it, hang that on your wall and look at it every day for a year. If you get tired of looking at it on the wall, why would you want to put it on your skin for the rest of your life?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81152 by
No, it's true. Depending on your boss and/or workplace, alternative body art can land you in trouble.

Licenced premises in New South Wales (Australia) are pushing to have visible tattoos listed as inappropriate attire, and can make it so that you can't enter a pub or club with them visible.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi