Definition of Christianity.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 6 months ago #8179 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Definition of Christianity.
\"The propensity for the Western church to accept the agenda of aid organizations as focal to the Great Commission has seriously skewed mission. Mission to the middle class is seen as proclamation. To the poor it has become giving handouts or assisting in development as defined by Christianized humanitarian perspectives. It is far easier for churches to give thousands of dollars than to find one of their members who will walk into the slums for a decade.\" -- (Viv Grigg, Cry of the Urban Poor (Monrovia, CA: MARC, 1992, 16).

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #8180 by Jon
\"A Christ-ian is one who has the Christ spirit. This is our understanding of the original meaning of the word. We suppose all will assent to and accept it as correct . . . . Men are Christ-ians according to the spirit of the Christ which is in them and manifested in the flesh. In some persons it is small, in others large. Either hidden or manifest this spirit resides in all. Consciously or unconsciously it is contained in every man or woman that lives or has lived.\"

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8187 by
Replied by on topic Re:Definition of Christianity.
Having long suffered the weight attached to the word religion I do not know how to define Christian. The Catholic Church says Mormons are not Christians and converts have to be baptized. Many Protestant churches say Catholics are not Christians and do not Hail Mary or venerate Saints.

What am I?

I believe that Jesus was a Zen Master who attained Cosmic Consciousness but is not the only son or daughter of God. I do not believe his body rose from the dead but I do believe his spirit did not die and that he appeared to people after his death in an Obi Wan Kenobi sort of way.

I see the amazing benefits of the sacraments and the comfort they provide and that, if nothing else, makes them holy.

M

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8198 by
So, let me get this strait. Muslims are supposed to be doing third world missionaries even though they live (mostly) in third world countries? We'll just say they should be doing missionaries period. But they are just being lazy or stubborn, or they realized that people that must be converted question the control imposed on them more, so decided to just corrupt their followers from a young age. (hmm sounds familiar?). And they are supposed to be more frivolent at it than Christians because it says to in their book of the word of their god. Does it not seem a little sketchy that it almost identically reflects what is says to do in the Bible, and if we were to read many more words of other gods, probably the same thing. THEY ALL CAME FROM THE SAME PLACE PEOPLE! Thats why the resemble each other so much. Haven't you ever wondered why these people don't like it, in fact many forbid their followers to research other religions. They're afraid that they will be enlightened by the possiblility of many other truths. I've seen it first hand, families disown children because they go to college and take classes on eastern religions and things to broaden their horizons, they don't want that, they want that same narrow view they have, its appalling. Your supposed to want a better life for your children and grandchildren, not the same or worse. These are the same people that strike down at first chance with their words those who believe that things from movies could be true, like SW or even the Matrix. Sure I may not believe it personally, but I atleast understand that if it were true, I wouldn't know until I leave this world, so it is undoubtedly a possibility. Anything is possible. What I have a hard time believing is that a god, any god would create a creature in its own image, and then because it disobeyed one of the rules that you commanded them not to disobey that you would not only punish them, but any and every decendend throughout time as well because of that one mistake. Especially a mistake that supposedly was cohersed from one of your fallen angels (read minions). To me thats harder to believe than a bunch of robots are farming humans to use like batteries because the humans of the past created them with too much AI. Thats just me I guess.

This thread has become more of a back and forth than a discussion, I'd like to see others views on this subject, if there are no other views, or others are too afraid to voice them, than this has truly become a church.

DK

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #8202 by Jon
Br. Dhagon, did you not know we are a Church?

\"We are an international online church in the process of building local communities.\"
-Front Page, TOTJO

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8203 by
I know that many here call it a church, but it does not fit the definition I hold for a church, well, atleast it didn't, it getting there. I'm trying to ignore that fact though, trust me its not a good thing. I concider this a Temple, since its right in the name. Up until fairly recently it has fit that description well, but its drifting further toward a church more and more.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8204 by
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

I know that many here call it a church, but it does not fit the definition I hold for a church, well, atleast it didn't, it getting there. I'm trying to ignore that fact though, trust me its not a good thing. I concider this a Temple, since its right in the name. Up until fairly recently it has fit that description well, but its drifting further toward a church more and more.

DK

What are the things that you see that are making it more like a church? I was not raised around religion. My grandmother used to listen to gospel on sunday mornings when she cooked breakfast for the family. That's what I think church is.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8206 by
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

DK

Church is synonimous with temple.

(wikipedia) The word church is used to describe a building used for prayer, worship, or other public religious services.

(wikipedia) A temple (from the Latin word templum) is a structure reserved for religious or spiritual activities, such as prayer and sacrifice, or analogous rites.

Hmmm, sound an awful lot alike to me...in fact I'd say they are the same darn thing. :)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #8214 by Jon
There seems to be quite a few people who feel they have been let down by religion, myself included. But before we completely scrap the experiences of millions of believers, we should grant this belief at least one good looking at. We have to look, because the whole truth about God is not accessible with the pressing of a button. It is up to each person to look, it is each person`s responsability to find out, and it is each person`s personal burden to accept the challenge of faith. Illumination does not fall off the back end of a lorry.

Are those who want proof for the existance of God not putting limits on the way God reveals Himself through that very question? Does the very demand for a comprehensible proof of God not make us blind to the proofs which are already available? Well I have to be honest, if I told my wife \"I´ll believe you when I`m convinced!\" my marriage would not have lasted a day. How far are we prepared to look beyond the ends of our own noses?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8222 by
You are correct Tom their worldly definitions are basically the same. I said my definitions are different, I wouldn't expect you to understand whats in my head, just know that It didn't previously fit that description, but is getting closer, thats all.

Br. Hans, I have looked and looked into this religion. For several years I did everything I could to follow what \"God's word\" was, both from the bible and the word he supposedly spoke through sermons from the pastor(s) of a few different churches. The simple fact remains, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how much work I did, it helped noone. Not myself, which is not why I was doing it, but it didn't make me feel like I was making a difference, or feeling even slightly warm from the supposed holy spirit, for doing the \"good works of God\". It didn't help anyone else either, in fact I realized later, that many of the things that we were \"supposed\" to do according to the church and bible drove more people away from the church than it brought. Of the many times I asked god to fill me with his spirit, to show me what he wanted me to do, I felt something only once and I'm quite certain it was because I lost control of my emotions, and cannot honestly say that I think it was anything other than an overpouring of those emotions. I know every God fearing man will say it was him, but noone knows exactly what I felt and therefore cannot say for sure it was anything other than that loss of control. So with all that junk being said, I have looked past my nose and given this religion more than a fair shake and chance, and it fell short.

DK

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi