Definition of Christianity.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8065 by
Replied by on topic Re:Definition of Christianity.
speaking of uneducated my spelling stinks and i forgot to spell check that last post....
:sick:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 6 months ago #8066 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Definition of Christianity.
stevef wrote:

okay it looks like i may have upset some- i think what i was trying to say and what i said didn't mesh so well. i hate it when that happens...

un educated was a bad term and not the best fit for what i was trying to get across.

i'm refering to people who really think if you cut off somones hair you take away thier power or that women are made from a rib or that it was really a serpent telling Eve to eat fruit.

there are people (although maybe posessing a wall of degrees and have an IQ high enough to make stephen hawking look dumb) who would teach us that it all happened word for word. they are really doing a disservice. although the faith they have is impressive, they turn more people away trying to convince them that women are made of rib or what have you.

my prior post was actually a failed attempt to make a defense for the bible that it is a good thing. it has strong moral values and teches love and compassion. some people will take the fairy tale aspect and try to pawn it off as fact. that leads to the thought track that Dhagon Krayt had.

i'm sorry if i made you guys upset.

i'll leave you with still the best thing i've heard said on religion-
\"it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you do\"

Lol. We are here to share views, discuss them and develop for the future. I am sure no one is upset. I got the point though. Thank you for sharing this Brother. MTFBWY

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8067 by
Well, the fact that women are evil is something I don't have a problem believing. You should meet my mother. . . pure evil that woman! J/K

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8068 by
Hmm, someone brought up the that some denominations of christianity/catholicism see the eating of bread and drinking of wine as actual flesh and blood of christ, so what your saying is that on top of everything else, they encourage canabilism? It most definately sounds that way, and I was going to start a whole other post on this, because that lightbulb went off last night as well. How could you say, eat my flesh and drink my blood and that will get you into heaven. I guess Jeffrey Dahmer will be meeting us at the gates huh? I mean if all people are created unto the image of God, he was only doing what he was told was he not?

Remember Br. Hans, I did say take away all the Judgemental Sarcasm, which means replacing zombie with something like reborn or you know whatever. Obviously whoever wrote that paragraph was trying to do as much damage to Christianity as possible. I'm simply trying to have a actual discussion about some of the downfalls of those beliefs.

I do agree with br. steve and br. hans the bible is a great tool to control the populations actions ( I know you didn't say it like that, but its really what you were saying) and sure it may be beneficial if people follow it on a personal scale. Its when they start forcing it on others and damning them with thier own judgement when it becomes more costly than its worth. I do not disagree with anyone trying to better their own life through any religion, however I do disagree with attempting to force it upon others, even if that is somehow construed as part of your belief.

I also agree, that all religious texts are stories, which I though I said already, but maybe not.

And Tom, yes it sounds like something familiar, something else I do not follow, and that is the lightside jedi path. I do agree however to keep your enemies close, its easier to keep track of them, and when you feed them, a little poison won't hurt, you can give the fatal dose when necessary, lol. I do ask this, shouldn't one lead by example? Assuming your answer would be yes, as it should be, why is it ok for your God to judge, but not his creations? It doesn't make sense to me.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8069 by
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

Hmm, someone brought up the that some denominations of christianity/catholicism see the eating of bread and drinking of wine as actual flesh and blood of christ, so what your saying is that on top of everything else, they encourage canabilism? It most definately sounds that way, and I was going to start a whole other post on this, because that lightbulb went off last night as well. How could you say, eat my flesh and drink my blood and that will get you into heaven. I guess Jeffrey Dahmer will be meeting us at the gates huh? I mean if all people are created unto the image of God, he was only doing what he was told was he not?

Remember Br. Hans, I did say take away all the Judgemental Sarcasm, which means replacing zombie with something like reborn or you know whatever. Obviously whoever wrote that paragraph was trying to do as much damage to Christianity as possible. I'm simply trying to have a actual discussion about some of the downfalls of those beliefs.

I do agree with br. steve and br. hans the bible is a great tool to control the populations actions ( I know you didn't say it like that, but its really what you were saying) and sure it may be beneficial if people follow it on a personal scale. Its when they start forcing it on others and damning them with thier own judgement when it becomes more costly than its worth. I do not disagree with anyone trying to better their own life through any religion, however I do disagree with attempting to force it upon others, even if that is somehow construed as part of your belief.

I also agree, that all religious texts are stories, which I though I said already, but maybe not.

And Tom, yes it sounds like something familiar, something else I do not follow, and that is the lightside jedi path. I do agree however to keep your enemies close, its easier to keep track of them, and when you feed them, a little poison won't hurt, you can give the fatal dose when necessary, lol. I do ask this, shouldn't one lead by example? Assuming your answer would be yes, as it should be, why is it ok for your God to judge, but not his creations? It doesn't make sense to me.

DK

It is right that he should judge because he knows all things, all actions by all people and all of the outcomes that have, do, and will
happen. We on the other hand cannot know these things and so it is not right for us to judge because we do not truly know all these things. We can only live in the moment (Matt. 6:25-36) and do that which we know to be right as per scripture (the word of God).

Now then, Dhagon, are you going to be an equal opportunity questioner? Will you be presenting your questioning of Islam, Judaism, hinduism, buddhism, Ba'haiism, Jainism, anamism, paganism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism, Rastafarianism, Scientology, etc... Or is Christianity the only faith you feel so strongly against?

~Br. Tom
Servant of the Servants of the Force

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8070 by
I would like to hear an explanation of how Islam has become the hated religion of the world. Isn't it the most followed? How could these people take the koran, and do the horrible, evil things we see everyday? Or is it just retribution for the Crusades? Or a hang over of the cold war?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8071 by
KieranHalcyon wrote:

I would like to hear an explanation of how Islam has become the hated religion of the world. Isn't it the most followed? How could these people take the koran, and do the horrible, evil things we see everyday? Or is it just retribution for the Crusades? Or a hang over of the cold war?

Actually Christianity is the most practiced religion in the world. The list is as follows:

Christianity: 2.1 billion

Islam: 1.5 billion

Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

Hinduism: 900 million

Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

Buddhism: 376 million

primal-indigenous: 300 million

African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

Sikhism: 23 million

Juche: 19 million

Spiritism: 15 million

Judaism: 14 million

Baha'i: 7 million

Jainism: 4.2 million

Shinto: 4 million

Cao Dai: 4 million

Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

Tenrikyo: 2 million

Neo-Paganism: 1 million

Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

Scientology: 500 thousand

So 84% of the total population practice a faith of some kind.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8072 by
Which leads to my next question...What DO you believe Dhagon? :)

~Chaplain,Br. Tom
Servant of the Servants of the Force

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 6 months ago #8074 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Definition of Christianity.
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

DK

Well Br.Dhagon to practise a religion you have to have a relationship with it, an understanding and faith for it. If you don`t, as history has all too often proved, you can try to explain until your blue in the face but nothing will happen. I don`t know who Chris Dahmner is, but following from your argument he must be a cannible; remember I said that CHRIST said (\"this is MY BODY do this in remembrance of ME\") which is different to eating the next person you meet. Come on Br.Dhagon lets not get too pikant here, but if you sent a piece to the CSI laboratory all they would come up with is bread. So if we all get down onto an empirical level this conversation puffs into a cloud of smoke.

Br.Dhagon I accepted the text you sent as it was and tried to reply with an explanation and not sarcasm. How can answering to the nomenclature of Christ`s person as a Zombie by saying that Christians see him rather being the second Adam be sarcastic? Hmmm.

Hmmm maybe I didn`t explain so good, I thought I did (try and take another peek back) but I explained that the Bible was a story and MORE!

PS. I never said that the Bible was a tool to control the people`s actions. I mentioned that it was a book of faith for which many were prepared to give their lives for.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #8079 by
What of free will? Doesn't the Bible teach that as beings of the flesh, we are granted free will. Free will to feel and to believe. I may be mistaken. I have always commented to others that alot of christian beliefs have alot similarities to that of greek or roman mythology.
An example would be, Hercules coming from a human mother and a god named Zeus. Then you have Jesus being in the same way. Now if you look at it, Jesus was born in around 6 BC or 1st century AD (which ever you believe); then you got the Hercules myth concieved more than a thouand years before that. Interesting. They are probably other similarities if you look. I don't want to discredit anyones beliefs, these type of mythical similarities occur in other religions too. The Aboriginies beliefs varied slightly from tribe to tribe, partly because they didn't have a writing system to record them, but rather passing those beliefs by word of mouth.
If anyone ever played telephone( or whatever you called it), the resulting message would be distorted from the original, like telling fish stories. History is loaded with exaggerations . As said in the other comments, there maybe truth behind the fiction.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi