What makes us human?

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 7 months ago #7719 by Jon
What makes us human? was created by Jon
Our humanness can be defined according to our needs:
-Biological
-Psycological
-Social
-Spiritual
-Transcendental
In light of these, each one of us is required to respond as a human being and care for the person as a whole.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7720 by
Replied by on topic Re:What makes us human?
I think a quite paradox but improtant point/characteristc of humans to mention is the fact to lead wars against each other ... there is no other animal causing destruction and pain among its fellows on purpose like humans unfortunately do ...

Don't you think ?

I mean, that's what really seperates us from the animals ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7726 by
Lysello Zanega wrote:

I think a quite paradox but improtant point/characteristc of humans to mention is the fact to lead wars against each other ... there is no other animal causing destruction and pain among its fellows on purpose like humans unfortunately do ...

Don't you think ?

Untrue. There are many animal species which conduct \"wars\" against one another for things such as food, territory, etc...all the same reasons we do. I do not mean interspecies combat either. I am speaking of these things occurring within one species alone. As an example (one of my favorites which can be seen on the Discovery Channel show \"Meerkat Manor\") Is the MeerKats of Africa. They live in a matriarchal family structure and often battle other families for land, food, etc...Members of families have even been known to switch sides and fight with another family in order to move up the Meerkat hierarchy within another family.

So actually these things are not confined to the Human Species and occur on many levels for many different species.

MTFBWY

~Br. Tom
Servant of the Servants of the Force

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7728 by
Very true, Master Whiteman. You see ants fighting with other ants for land. Animals tend to \"war\" over the basics in life. Food, territory, dominace, and continuance of their species. Humans, on the other hand, are the ones that will fight over politics and religion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7729 by
Justice wrote:

Very true, Master Whiteman. You see ants fighting with other ants for land. Animals tend to \"war\" over the basics in life. Food, territory, dominace, and continuance of their species. Humans, on the other hand, are the ones that will fight over politics and religion.

I think a very strong argument could be made that politics and religion are fundamentals for humans as much as food or a roof over our heads.

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 7 months ago #7730 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:What makes us human?
Lysello Zanega wrote:

Don't you think ?

Even though animals show warring aspects in their behaviour, their behaviour could be argued to be driven by instinct. Their struggle is one of survival and not alterior motivated or intentional.

\"State of conflict, generally armed, between two or more entities. It is characterized by intentional violence on the part of large bodies of individuals organized and trained for that purpose. On the national level, some wars are fought internally between rival political factions (civil war); others are fought against an external enemy. Wars have been fought in the name of religion, in self-defense, to acquire territory or resources, and to further the political aims of the aggressor state's leadership.\"
-Encyclopedia Britanica.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7731 by
Jon wrote:

Lysello Zanega wrote:

Don't you think ?

Even though animals show warring aspects in their behaviour, their behaviour could be argued to be driven by instinct. Their struggle is one of survival and not alterior motivated or intentional.

\"State of conflict, generally armed, between two or more entities. It is characterized by intentional violence on the part of large bodies of individuals organized and trained for that purpose. On the national level, some wars are fought internally between rival political factions (civil war); others are fought against an external enemy. Wars have been fought in the name of religion, in self-defense, to acquire territory or resources, and to further the political aims of the aggressor state's leadership.\"
-Encyclopedia Britanica.

Are we not also driven by this need for survival as well?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7734 by
good point Master Whiteman.

however i thought we (the human species) are supposed to be evolved beyond acting on pure instinct. i think we have the concept of self control separating us (at least more so than animals).
if we had none i'd be much more chunkey than i am- and hersheys chocolate would be sending me christmas cards.

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 7 months ago #7740 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:What makes us human?
Twsoundsoff wrote:

Jon wrote:

Lysello Zanega wrote:

Don't you think ?

-Encyclopedia Britanica.

Are we not also driven by this need for survival as well?

In the case of animals, each one of these is driven by a common natural instinct for survival into conflict. Very often humans are driven into war without really knowing why or because of the leadership`s fight for survival. So I would answer, no we are not always driven into war by this need for survival.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7746 by
Besides the opposing thumb and the ability to walk up right, there is not much seperating us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Humans tend to be extremely more territorial.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi