Language barrier

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51952 by
Language barrier was created by
A couple of years ago I was really into Esperanto, which is a language designed with the purpose to bring people together and take away the language barrier.

After purchasing a learning book and getting to know the basics I kinda dropped it due to lack of time and having to keep up with my school work. Learning a language on my own didn't really match well with my other subjects at the time.

If you havent heard of esperanto before just google it or check out 'lernu.net', a website where they offer free lessons and such.

Anyway I kinda think the idea of a languag ment to bring people together matches the idea's of the jedi and I was wondering if any of you ever looked into this language or even learned it.

And if not: what do you think of the idea, and do you see any potential in it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 2 months ago #51953 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Language barrier
i've heard of it...couldn't remember the name till i saw the post...

esperanto was used in 2 movies (that i know of) the first is an old black and white movie with william shatner and the second is blade trinity...

esperanto was supposed to replace english as the spoken universal language (math is considered the true universal language)...of course this sort of fell through since there was a shortage of people willing or able to use the language...and since english is already taught in most if not all countries...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51954 by
Replied by on topic Re: Language barrier
I've also begun to learn Esperanto a year ago but I stopped learning it, too, because the topice in school are more important and take much time. It is a great language, easy to learn and to understand. Also the idea behind it is really good.

I think the common language here is English. Thus it is not necessary to use Esperanto.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51962 by

RyuJin wrote: esperanto was supposed to replace english as the spoken universal language (math is considered the true universal language)...of course this sort of fell through since there was a shortage of people willing or able to use the language...and since english is already taught in most if not all countries...

Yes english seems to be spoken in most countries, altho one must not underestimate the amount of people that do not speak (proper) english.

Thanks to television and my addiction to it, english is not that hard for me. But alot of people at my highschool had a hard time even getting through the basics.

@Adhara: It feel exactly the same about the idea! Just also feel it will probebly never dominate english or spanish. A shame really.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago #51974 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Language barrier
Knarf, you're dutch. Dutch people can, in my experience, speak very good english compared to other europeans.

it's my understanding however that learning esperanto can be very useful when trying to learn other languages.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51996 by
Thank you for this. I looked it up and became instantly hooked (even got 3 of my friends interested). I think schools in every country need to push this. A secondary universal language is a great idea.

I've been looking at some videos and found one guy that talked about how in one country he went to, there was a community that offered free room and board...if your spoke Esperanto. It's a way for the community to come together and learn. Pretty cool. Gonna try and see if there are any speakers in the Houston area. Should be learning Spanish (since I work at a Hispanic Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market) but oh well, lol. This language seems SO much easier so far...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52006 by
Saluton to all!

I like the idea of a universal language that is easy to learn and is aimed at bringing people together.

Life would be so much simpler if we'd never built that tower!

However, I believe that due to the old British Empire and the American media machine, English is and will continue to be the universal language for the foreseeable future.

I had not heard of Esperanto so dankon for posting Knarf and teaching me something new.

If you discount the spoken or written word I have found through my work with adults with learning disabilities and also on my travels to other countries that signs and gestures, body language, music, laughter and love are a universal means of communication and sometimes that is all you need!

Labels are not always necessary and in the physical world at least if a common written or spoken language is not available to us we can communicate and demonstrate the way of the Jedi through our attitude and actions.

Pacon!

MTFBWY

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52056 by

ren wrote: Knarf, you're dutch. Dutch people can, in my experience, speak very good english compared to other europeans.

that''s true. Alot of dutch people can speak (or rather write) in english quite well. Yet there are lots and lots who cant. Or who really have to struggle for years to even get trough the basics. But it's defenitly not as bad as in other countries.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago #52058 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Language barrier
I went out with a dutch apprentice hairdresser, she spoke really good english for someone who didn't and probably will never need to use it. You don't give your fellow countrymen enough credit.

However, I believe that due to the old British Empire and the American media machine, English is and will continue to be the universal language for the foreseeable future.

I'm not so sure about that. China has considered Esperanto before... then, there's spanish. the only true advantage of english is its simplicity. The grammar is incredibly easy, and when it's broken, it works anyway. It's good for business but it doesn't have the subtleties which are dear to other cultures.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 2 months ago #52062 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Language barrier
Most of you other, non-native, English speaking countries do a better job of reading and writing English than we do...

American English is easy, yet hard... As ren said, even when its broken, it works...

You put too much emphasis on it.. This is why... exact pronunciation, and spelling, writing of characters...

Whereas we American English speakers, talk slang, improper English, and don't worry about all these rules and regulations you guys study so hard...

SHoo, maan... ChIllAx.. It"S aLl gud...

ThEn We txt spk... This wy we dont youse 2 mny txts....

lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi