Enlightenment on Equality...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44559 by
So I spent all day today considering the idea of equality. As I understand, Jedi believe that all people are created equal and the dark side simply believes equality is a lie. I found myself teetering back and forth between what I consider true. Obviously, in a perfect world we all would be equal and everyone would treat each other as such, but the world is far from perfect and there are people who who rise above the rest. Politicians have power over citizens, celebrities get special treatment and reduced jail sentences. Is this equality? I think not...

My final realization was that the difference between the dark and the light view of equality is in the interpretation of the word. Perhaps more in the interpretation of the definition. The dark side bases equality on tangible things such as money, fame, power,etc,whereas the light side bases equality on life itself. Every person's life is priceless no matter their income or social status. We are all created the same and no one's life is more or less valuable than another's.

After realizing this I found it easier to accept certain annoyances that I had been carrying. But it also raised another question; If we are all equal and obviously we wish no harm to come to others, how are we to feel about certain deaths. When world terrorists or serial killers die, should we be happy about this? It seems to be a contradiction to the Jedi way to rejoice at the death of another, but if a person is evil in nature, does that provide an exception?

I understand this sort of touches on the discussion about death sentences, but I would love to hear from anyone who would be willing to share their own insight.

MTFBWY,

Luke

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44560 by
Replied by on topic Re: Enlightenment on Equality...
In my view, and from sermon's from the past on TOTJO, a jedi may rejoice in the end of a war, or in the end of a genocide, and these things may be brought on by the death of a specific person, but a Jedi never rejoices in the death of an enemy, not ever.

Like you said, all life is equal, even that of an evil person, and while some may feel that through their evil actions, they lose their rights, they still have a life, they still have the force flowing through their body. It is because of these things that yes, you never rejoice in death, not even of the worst kind of person.

Death and war can be necessary, but they are never something to be celebrated.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44561 by
Replied by on topic Re: Enlightenment on Equality...
Well stated...thank you. Now I will be able to sleep tonight. ;)

More
12 years 5 months ago #44563 by Wescli Wardest
I believe that all life is created equal. Not the same, equal. And, life as we think of it, is a perception of the corporeal self. I personally do not rejoice in the death of anyone. But, I can be grateful for the end of a beings ability to inflict harm. I believe that even though the body may cease to live; we return to which we came. As if death where a sentence of exile from the commonly accepted opinion of life.

I also don't see the difference between light and dark being good or evil. A better description escapes me at the moment, but the struggle between our baser animal tendencies and the spiritual. Even in nature, many things occur which can be seen as evil, but it is just nature running it's course. And your belief system directly influences your judgment of morality.

Monastic Order of Knights

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi