"I am right!"

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
12 years 11 months ago #39732 by Jon
"I am right!" was created by Jon
Why do we feel the need to be right most of the time if not all of it? Why do we defend our "territory" like wild animals who just following their instincts? Why do we get all so worked up into a frenzy over issues which for the most part are probably not that important? Is this about power, control, fear, emotional needs... ?

As trivial as this may seem it is such attitudes which have lost people their jobs if not ruined companies; led to a high rate of divorces; prevented negotiations where the welfare of millions are at stake. "I said so, so I`m right!" This need to be right is so strong, so consuming that it very often makes it impossible for us to back down especially when our views are challenged. The need to be right is omni present in every part of our world right from this forum to family units to industry to nations and beyond. And what is really ironic is that no matter how our opinions may change or develop, we will defend our views now just as vehemently as we did those views with which we no longer agree with any more.

People who do this appear confident to the point of arrogance, but in reality they are all too often very insecure people. They need to be right and to be recognised as being so confirms their sense of self worth and of power. They act very aggressively especially when their position is challenged since their identities are inseperably intertwined with their opinions. Destroy a person`s opinion you destroy that person! Ipso facto interpersonal interactions which foster mistrust, jealousy, fear,conflict and competition.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #39733 by
Replied by on topic Re: "I am right!"
Abstract Parade on Yahoo answers said it best "People feel the need to be right because they want the luxury of being looked upon. When people prove others to be wrong, it's a terrific feeling because they lead themselves to believe that their internal thoughts were exposed to the world and benefitted them in some way. As you probably realized, people who feel the need to be right are typically pigheaded or arrogant people they do not care too much for the opinion of others. They have a negative perception and are resistant to any ideas except their own."
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 11 months ago #39748 by
Well the way I see it, it may not always be a need to be right but more as a reaction from the newly famous trait of "How does this affect me". Most people could care less about a subject if it doesn't affect them.... but if it does you will study the crap outta whatever has changed just to say - see im right - now put it back the way it was. (expecially if there is more work involved)
It's a new human trait to not want change, with change comes one less think that was once fully controlled and understood.
But yes there is that need that is also deep down that gives us that little rush when someone acknowledges that yes you were right. A validation rarely acknowledged anymore.

daystar

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 11 months ago #39750 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: "I am right!"

Jon wrote: Why do we feel the need to be right most of the time if not all of it?

Cause your my ex-wife? lolol... Just playing, trying to lighten the mood...

daystar wrote: Well the way I see it, it may not always be a need to be right but more as a reaction from the newly famous trait of "How does this affect me". Most people could care less about a subject if it doesn't affect them.... but if it does you will study the crap outta whatever has changed just to say - see im right - now put it back the way it was. (expecially if there is more work involved)
It's a new human trait to not want change, with change comes one less think that was once fully controlled and understood.
But yes there is that need that is also deep down that gives us that little rush when someone acknowledges that yes you were right. A validation rarely acknowledged anymore.

I don't know how knew it really is... Look at how hard it is for humans to change? Most famous ones being: the earth is flat, humans will never fly, we will never make it to the moon... And for some of us, there is no God...

Change... One of the few constants, the thing you can depend on eventually happening is dreaded the most...

We feel the need, I think, for a couple of reasons...

One, like what I have done to daystar's post, is to cite examples to show that depending on how 'new' daystar is referring to... New, in relation to modern man's recent obsession with gadgets? (I imagine the first cave man to figure out fire was envied)... Or new as to the fact that this characteristic is new because man himself is new to the relation of this planet?

I believe, most simply are trying to correct what they figure is a misinformed, colleague, and see what this colleague thinks of the thoery presented to them... Sometimes, the colleague disagrees, and depending on the level of communication, a 'discussion' breaks out...

While some, simply love to 'lord' it over another, just to be an ass...

That's my take on it... Anyone else?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 11 months ago #39757 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: "I am right!"
Admitting we are wrong means that we find our thought processes to be flawed in some way. And we tend to trust ourselves more than what some other bloke says (especially on the internet). That's why. As to the animal behaviour... Well if you just ask yourself "what's the point?", you'll soon stop bothering.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 11 months ago #39765 by
There is honour in humility and honour in apologising.

It is sad when people are so adamant and arrogant to even think that they can never be wrong.

It is important that we all remember our positions and of the reverse of those positions.

It can be hard to say that you're wrong, but you're all the better a person for doing so.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi