Discrimination

More
13 years 1 month ago #37842 by Damion_Storm
Discrimination was created by Damion_Storm
Today I was watching the news and was disheartened with the story about the pastor in Florida that was going to burn 200 Korans on September 11 last year. At that time he backed out of it however, a couple days ago he actually burned on and the video was posted on YouTube. This was met by riots in Afghanistan and so far 20 people have been killed because of one man's intolerance. This is truly a sad day and it is even sadder that this man has so much hatred that he stated he did not care if his beliefs and actions were the cause of the deaths of innocent people. Stating that his beliefs are more important. I believe in standing up for your beliefs but not when it ends in an act of religious hatred and intolerance. Let us not fall into the trap of hatred. Let us be tolerant of others faith and beliefs as we teach here. Even as this pastor draws threats he still feels his beliefs are above all others. How can we help promote tolerance without being intolerant ourselves?

here is the news story

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37846 by
Replied by on topic Re:Discrimination
If he did this in the Uk or even threatened too - he'd be arrested and charged with incitement of violence amongst others - but does this infringe on his individual rites to freedom of speech?

At what point does ones freedoms become criminal or should they become criminal?

The fact people died for his intolerance - when its in direct reaction to another groups intolerance (and a tiny minority of said group) shows how stupid and hypocritical some people are.

Never-mind burning these book, id like a few people to be beaten over the heads with them, just to hopefully knock some sense into them.

Here is a related and maybe somewhat topic diverting thought though - someone said to me when I was young that everyone is discriminatory in some way.

It may be racism, sexism, homophobia, but tyhere are more subtle ones,

Discriminating on the basis one hair colour, eye colour, height, age, weight, - now some of these sound dumb - would you dislike someone just cos you dont like the colour of their shoes? so why be the same over skin colour?

MTFBWY - A

More
13 years 1 month ago #37849 by Damion_Storm
Replied by Damion_Storm on topic Re:Discrimination
I have nothing against freedom of speech but the burning of a book was where he crossed the line

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
13 years 1 month ago #37851 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Discrimination
No doubt this man is yet another one of those religious \"nut cases\". Also in Germany there is a great discussion at flame at the moment about tolerance and integration of Islam. There is one question however which never seems to be raised and that is what is religious tolerance like in the Arabic countries? Should religious tolerance be a one sided effort? Can we expect one people be tolerant and at the same time understand the intollerance of the other?

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 1 month ago #37853 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Discrimination
Damion_Storm wrote:

I have nothing against freedom of speech but the burning of a book was where he crossed the line

What is a book? It is a symbol.. The feelings and emotions one feels from these objects are within us... Not the book...

I have ceased to be a Christian, instead becoming PureLand, but, I still look at the bible and cross with awe... Simply amazing...

@ Br. Jon, I too have wondered at the tolerance of these other cultures... They really hate Americans... Or so it seems...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
13 years 1 month ago #37855 by Jon
Jestor wrote:

@ Br. Jon, I too have wondered at the tolerance of these other cultures... They really hate Americans... Or so it seems...[/color]

Not only Americans but Europeans too. Not only that but any public Christian Symbols, buildings etc. And to top it all there is even the death penalty for anyone responsible for converting a Muslim. And there is probably more.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37867 by
If every book that somebody has a problem with was burnt they'd be no books left.

If every person who said or did something somebody else didn't like was hurt or killed they'd be no people left.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #37868 by Jon
Onokoro wrote:

If every book that somebody has a problem with was burnt they'd be no books left.

If every person who said or did something somebody else didn't like was hurt or killed they'd be no people left.

Good point Onokoro! Is there really such a thing as tollerance? And how can anyone in all honesty say they are tollerant when everyone only knows a fraction of what is? Maybe that tollerant person whoever that person is who claims to be so just hasn`t met that provocation to intollerance! But then again isn`t it nice to think oneself tollerant. It`s very socially acceptable. And would not a global tollerance not lull us into a lethargical sleep? Provocative? Yes! But worth a thought none the less, even at the expense of sounding anti social.

Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Jon.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37872 by
I will say first of all that I think the pastor's actions were shameful and unneccessarily spiteful.

It is a shame that people have resorted to violence against each other. I do not know the specifics in the Kuran, but surely we should all respect the views of others. I believe in freedom of speech.

But yes there comes the point where you have to ask \"When is something said or done that goes too far?\" but we must remember that what he did was symbolic. He did not directly harm anyone with his actions, all he did was burn a book, a symbol.

People it seems have taken that symbol to its most extreme extent. They have killed because of it. Is that a respectable response? What does it say about those people? Just because this offended you does not justify the death of someone.

I think the people that killed because of this are criminals and that the pastor should be pitied. He is a sad individual to think such things, but has he actaully 'done' anything to warrant violence?

I think Jestor sums this up the best in his signature:
'In my opinion, you have an opinion, about my opinion, and that is your opinion.....'

We should feel sad that he has such views not angry.

I must now say that his actions were not against me, so I have not truly experienced this. The only thing I can perhaps relate to is in the film V for Vendetta. It is the scene where they are rounding up homosexuals to be imprisoned and killed. When I think about that I do feel angry about it so I can sympathise and be glad that this is not happening.

The difference however is that the pastor is not rounding up minority groups and killing them, he is making a statement about his beliefs. Perhaps we should be focussing on trying to stop people from following in his beliefs (however in that video he did mention that people had already left his church because of this) and not on the actual statement itself.

People will forget him in time and we must focus on convincing people away from his thoughts. But people are unlikely to ever forget the relatives that they lost to the killings and we can never bring them back.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37874 by
Little wonder when the middle east (and it's muslim majority) has been a pawn in the political games of super powers since before world war 2. first they are armed by the west the defeated by the west, first they are supported by the supported in government by the west then they disowned and social services breakdown. Then of course there is the centuries of religious conflict within the region.
What happens when people do not have enough food, water and work, even in the west the get angry. This anger needs a focus. It is naturally directed outward to the common evil (as perceived by the religious zealots - of all religions) that unfortunately for all the world is the only superpowers remaining.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi