Heros

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37497 by
Heros was created by
Many of us have written a response to the lesson about heros in the innitates program. But recently I've had further thoughts about heros. Who they are, what they do, etc. So I wanted to make this thread where we can post our stories of everyday heros. Maybe someone you would expect to be a hero, something that just happened to you, or maybe someone that you wouldn't have expected to be a hero that turned into one for you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37499 by
Replied by on topic Re:Heros
My story is as follows (I will warn those of you with a past of self harm that this may be a trigger. I'm going to be somewhat open with what I say in my experience).

About a year ago I was going through some mental pains that led me to the urge to cut. There is now a small scar where I did this. A while later my Mom had some health issues and I became extremely worried about what might happen to her and what I would do if anything were to happen. I began having suicidal thoughts. If my mom died at that point I wanted to also, I couldn't bear the thought of my mom not being here. I knew this wasn't \"normal\", and that suicide isn't a way out. I sought help. Little happened in the first to visits to talk to someone.

But one weekend my 5 year old nephew came over to visit. He pointed at my scar and asked what happend. I told him I had a cut. He gave a small pout and looked sad, and asked how. I told him it was just a little boo boo, not to worry that it was all better and didn't hurt anymore. He nodded and we went about. This event saved me from ever cutting again. The saddness on his face broke my heart and I realized I wan't helping me or anyone with that, and it was doing more harm to others even if they didn't know the real reason behind my scar.

Later that week I was thinking again about the incident with my nephew. At the same time my brain connected it with the previous suicidal thoughts. How could I want to do that and cause that pain to the rest of my family. Yes, I don't have a ton that I am close to. But I realized me and my nephew aren't very close and he was saddened by small cut on me. How bad would my close family feel if I were gone? How would my family explain to my nephew who is growing closer to me what had happened if I were to die?

Last visit with a therapist I told him about that. He called my nephew my guardian angel. Not only is he that, he is my Hero. Anyone can be a hero, for me, a 5 year old boy is my hero. My hero has probably saved my life.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37500 by
And I'm not looking for sympathy or anything. But I just wanted to share how anyone, even a small child, can be a hero. That lesson was hard for me to grasp in a way until that happened. I mean I \"got it\" that anyone is a hero, but it was hard for my mind to place it (kind of hard to explain the feeling).

I would love to hear others stories if they feel like posting.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 1 month ago #37514 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Heros
What an amazing story... Thank you for sharing... The Force hints at us all of the time... Sometimes, we hear it, other times we do not...

And a true statement:

Cynthia wrote:
...even a small child, can be a hero...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37692 by
Greetings Each
Yes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I can think of two heros here Your Nephew and your good self , Takes courage to face up to your demons and even more to get them fixed.Well done.

Yours in Budo

Mike

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37703 by
That story is indeed a great one, sad on one hand and truly wonderful on the other. It amazes some people how even a small child can do greater things then someone who's already lived half their life. When people think about children, they think about frail beings that always need protecting.. but sometimes that same child will be the biggest protector of anyones life, such as yours.

I also do share a similar story, one that happened a few years back. Pretty much the exact same as yours, except the hero of my life was someone I didn't even know at the time. We talked a few days before so we knew each others names.. but that was about it. Anyways, I wanted to end my own life, but somehow she knew I wanted to and spoke to me, she came over to my house when she asked where I lived and then just hugged me.. I could see the tears in her eyes and it made me realize.. if someone I don't really even know is sad by the thought of me going, then.. like you.. how would I make my actual family or those that I am extremely close to feel.

That's when I realized, ending my life wasn't the answer. I sought some guidance, and ever since then I have always thought of that one woman to be like my older sister or my Guardian Angel. The older sister, always looking out for her younger brother. The Guardian Angel, always protecting who they watch over.

Albeit, I didn't get any scars cause I didn't go far enough, but still the worry about why would I want to do something, and the joy to have someone truly watching over you.. I know how it feels, and I must say I wouldn't trade that day for anything/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37717 by
Thank you for sharing this story with us. ;)

Heros come in all shapes and sizes and there are many many unsung heors amongst us they walk silently beside us not say or doing anything to show themselves.

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37718 by
A few weeks ago I realised why I do what I do !!!

I had been thinking of leaving my job, things were getting me down I wasn’t really enjoying myself at work and due to my medical condition I was trying to balance everything and I felt I was not winning or able to give my all.

Anyway I have been looking after a Pupil at my school for a considerable amount of time, he has self harmed on many occasions and achieved a considerable amount of damage to his young body, unfortunately he has also tried to take his own life on several occasions.

I made a connection with this young man we he was admitted to the school, I don’t know why but he choose me and during his time at the school we have shared some very difficult times.

So back to a few weeks ago,

The young man came into school, he had a look in his eyes that was shouting I AM NOT HAPPY, he clearly needed help but was unable to ask for it, I informed my staff that I was going to keep a close eye on him and that if I was called away I wanted one of them to take over and monitor the situation.

Well after a short time I was called away to take a phone call, it was the young mans mother, she was in tears and I could hardly hear what she was trying to tell me, I gave her the time to compose herself and asked her to explain how I could help her, she explained that her son had told her that he was going to kill himself on this very day, he could no longer cope and wanted to end it all, during this conversation I knew that I had to go, something was wrong, the young man needed me at this very moment, so I reassured the mother that I would do all in my power to protect her son and hung up.

On returning to my office I could not see the young man, I asked the staff where he was, I was informed that he had needed the toilet, I just knew that he was not in there grabbed my car keys gave instructions to search the grounds. As I got in the car I knew which way to drive I was being drawn to my destination as I proceeded along the road I saw the young man in the middle of a busy main road throwing bricks at on coming cars.

I stopped my car and ran across the road and did the best tackle of my life and we both ended up in the hedge just as a Bus passed us, it was an extremely close shave, this culminated in the Police being called and the young was sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

To cut a very long day and story short, the young man and I had Three very close calls during the day, however, after being admitted to hospital and receiving the appropriate treatment the young man is back at school and doing well and so am I !!!!

I realised that day that there is much more to life than moaning and thinking that we are hard done by.

Thanks for listening; it’s so good to remember that there are so many people a lot worse off than we feel that we are!!!!

My Hero? on this occasion.

The young man for choosing me, knowing and trusting me to be there for him in his time off need.

The Dr’s and nurses for the treatment he received.

His Mum for being his mum for loving him and caring for him.

More
13 years 1 month ago #37736 by Damion_Storm
Replied by Damion_Storm on topic Re:Heros
There is an interesting thing about heroes. Each person has a different perspective of what it takes to qualify as a hero. To some it takes great acts of courage. to others the simple act of being there for someone is enough. Those that set the standard too high will never find a hero. Cynthia it is great you recognized that even a small child can be a hero. I have many heroes in my life from people I work with to the men and women I served with in the past. The funny thing about heroes is that they rarely see themselves as heroes. in a recent story about a Medal of Honor recipient he stated that he only did what he was trained to do and that any one else in his position would have done the same. This may or may not be true but who is to say. To me he is a hero to him it was a job. So what makes a true hero to me is someone that make an impact on someone else's life without concern for their own benefit or credit. Even a writer can be a hero to someone who reads their words and changes their life.

Great thread Cynthia

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 1 month ago #37763 by
Thank you all for posting! I think these stories are a real inspiration to all!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi