Does SHOUTING help?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #34047 by
Does SHOUTING help? was created by
Does SHOUTING help?

Sometimes when we are angry or agitated we raise our voices or shout at others, why do we do this?

Is it because they won’t listen?

Are we trying to get our point of view across?

Is it a stress release for us?

Is it all about control?

Does it help?

Does it hurt others?

Do we do it to try and control a situation?

Does it help anger?

So many questions, so very many different answers.

Why do you do it?

If you have other reasons or answers please add them, as this may help us all to understand why we do what we do.

A Samurai once said “One’s soldiers should not yell abuse at the enemy. An old saying goes, ‘Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the force of a dragon.’”Takeda Nobushige.

Take care. MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #34051 by
Replied by on topic Re:Does SHOUTING help?
Shouting is but a tool in our arsenal of social weapons and is about intimidation, whether we mean to use this tool for such a means or not. Intimidation makes us the aggressor in an attempt to become the \"alpha\" in the situation rather than remain the passive and yielding. This tool is not always necessarily a voluntary action, as many individuals begin shouting and yelling, even screaming before they've realized it. Some have realized it and simply don't know how to stop it. I believe this is because of instinctual actions our subconscious is applying to our body, even our mind. Even when a parent is shouting at a child, scolding him or her, it is for intimidation, for control over the child and over the situation at hand.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 6 months ago #34055 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Does SHOUTING help?
The VERY topic of conversation in my house last night and again this morning......

Why?

I said, it was a response we learned in childhood.... he one who is the loudest, is often the winner, thus right.... Versus the quiet one who appeared, (I now realize), to give in, or lose..... Not as eloquent as Kadmiel Ad Nuah, said it.... But, I was talking to my son..... Who I kept losing in my rambling thoughts..... He tried to stay with me though...

We were 'discussing' our situation, which is a tense topic anyway, and voices escalated....

I said in a different post, to unlearn a behavior can be most difficult.... But I am thinking, as I now see it unfold, the next step is to catch it before hand, then be a able to stop it.....

*sigh*

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #34059 by
I would also like to add to our discussion to concept of the \"kiai\" - That authentic martial arts shout that seems to transcend all generations to the modern times and accompanied even with a transcendence of thought and action into the subtle, yet riveting charging of energy behind just a mere simple technique such as a straight punch or front kick.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #34061 by
Its good to ask questions as it makes us think.

Its good to read others answers as it helps us to understand.

We are all very different and react in very different ways to situations.

Its a very good way to learn.

Take care. MTFBWY

More
13 years 6 months ago #34071 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:Does SHOUTING help?
sometimes, shouting is not only a tool to win, sometimes is a weapon of self defense... O.O

I guess if you are shouting, screaming, and all of that, if because there is something missing in the situation, or in yourself.

you are not secure of yourself, you agree to (light) fight with someone else.
and you are not smart enough to make the situation goes to the right spot...

shouting between 2 happen only if both agree

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

More
13 years 6 months ago #34108 by Alethea Thompson
Does it help resolve a verbal dispute? No.
Does it help resolve a physical assault? As long as you are loud enough to reach someone. It alerts people to your location. It may stop an assault if you are a witness or call attention to witnesses.

However...there are times (quite a few actually) where it doesn't help out. Look into the story of Kitty.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #34166 by
unfortunately it always seems as if when shouting begins, logic ends. And most debates or arguments eventually reach shouting.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi