THE MAP IS NOT THE TERRITORY

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #33931 by
[size=medium]This is from an article that i have read.....

As Alford Korzybski stated, \"A map is not the territory it represents, but if correct, it has a similar structure to the territory, which accounts for its usefulness\". What this means is that our perception of reality is not reality itself but our own version of it, or our \"map\".

No two people can have exactly the same map. While we all have similar neurological structure, it functions differently in all of us. This is the basis for our problems in communication when we try to impose our map upon another person. Learning to recognize the structure of another person's map allows us to \"see the world though their eyes\" and therefor understand and relate to others respectfully and accurately.

Generalization is the basis for the formation of our beliefs. (Although, which came first, the chicken or the egg?) What we believe about the world is how we interact within it. Most often it is our beliefs that limit us. We have beliefs about spirituality, the world, our capabilities and our environment, right and wrong, what is just and unjust, and whether or not we can change.

THE MAP IS NOT THE TERRITORY!!!!!
All Knowledge that is designed to explain anything are \"Not the real THING\"... THEY ARE ONLY MAPS....

THE GREAT THING IS THAT WE CAN REPROGRAM OUR MAPS..... WE ARE THAT POWERFUL... We have the power of creation....

any thoughts??

peace[/b][/size]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 6 months ago #33939 by Jestor
This sounds interesting, I have another way of saying this.... And these are my thoughts and not necessarily the thoughts of TOTJO or any other members.... ( I always preface my longer diatribes.... Just in case...... ;)....)

Perception and Perspective..... It's all opinion... Everything we see and think..... In the world, there are very few facts.....

I had this very conversation with a co-worker and a couple of police officers that work for the same municipality that I work for..... And I think I have commented as well in my own journal.....

The laws of the world, the human world, human laws, are agreed upon, opinions of groups of people. These laws help to control the flow of people and things in an orderly system, as safely as possible Order and safety determined by, again, a group of people....

What we call the laws of nature, is man's way of explaining and putting order to the natural world around us. There are no real \"Natural Laws\"... This is why you here the expression \"against the laws of nature\", it goes against what man 'thinks' should be a cut and dried theory/thought......

As you continue your lessons, you will hear how man has used the net, (boundaries of a map in some cases).... To place an order to the world to not make quite as scary........ I was just relistening to this the other day myself.....

Wait till you get to some of the other lessons..... ;)......

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #33953 by
Replied by on topic Re:THE MAP IS NOT THE TERRITORY
Great perspective JEstor.... WOW...

Im really thinking now about the concept of \" Your Focus Determines your reality\"....

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi