Discussion on Truth

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33732 by
Discussion on Truth was created by
Thought I'd try and get a discussion going and see where it goes, all are welcome to chime in of course :-)

Now, The idea of honesty being a good thing seems to be tied with so many cultures and philosophies that it comes to mind... why is it so important to be honest, and as we all know, it really isn't always the right thing to be honest ALL the time, there are many times where it is correct to \"fib\" and even times when one is expected to lie to be polite. Why is this contradiction so unnoticed nowadays?

I mean, we are taught at a young age that lying is bad and not to do it, but we pick up on our parents flaws and emulate them, though a child is normally much more honest than some adults at times, they do lie if they feel it is advantageous to do so, and so do many adults in a more...careful manner.

As jedi we are just human, but do we strive to always be honest, or do we conform to society and be \"polite\" and advantageous?

Not to say that either is the wrong way, but what is everyone's thoughts on the difference and the questions posed?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33735 by
Replied by on topic Re:Discussion on Truth
I Think that Lying is a long term disadvantage and problem...
We can fool the other for a while; but eventually, their credibility detectors will sense: \"This is not the truth\".....and at that point, every argument is lost.

By Using the Root Analysis... it is much more efficient ant effective if we just tell the truth......

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33736 by
I also mean the lying in a sense of the wife asking \"does this make my butt look fat\" kind of way and replying in a way that won't start a fight :-)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 7 months ago #33741 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Discussion on Truth
First of all, you cannot argue with your spouse and be correct... My wife and I have had many conversations on this very topic, because (and mine will admit this to me and me only), they are never wrong, even when I can show physical proof, I am simply told I am still wrong.... But, then they say it with a twinkle in their eye, acknowledging their error with body language, but NEVER verbally.... lol... ;)

\"Let your conscience be your guide...\" my father often said.....

Lying is bad....

My wife asks,\"This make my butt look big?\" ... It's  perspective.... \"not to me, honey....\". And I would consider that a truth....

She would say,\"yes it does,  don't lie\" ... In her perception, she looks fat, mine not at all....

Sure, we both gained some weight since we were both... 'in' our prime'... we still look pretty good for forty..... (her, better than me.. let me tell you....  ;)   )

Telling an untrue, deceiving others for gain..... That is what is wrong.....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33743 by
In te case of 'does my butt look big' ive developed a foolproof reply ;)

'I dont know or care - i love your butt regardless'

BTW - all males know you cant ever win a 'discussion' with a female anyway :D

We all lie at somepoint - even the pope has and probably does lie - its one of many human flaws. The problem is that if you lie with a good intention, it often goes wrong anyway also - lies to deceive will always come back to get you.

So i think the rights and wrongs are down to the individual - but be sure you can face and deal with consequences.

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33757 by
This is a great topic....
First of all...
\"Why do we lie\"??
and
\"What is it that we are not admitting to ourself now??\"??

peace

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33759 by
Is there really anything your not admitting to yourself when you lie to someone or yourself? To say a lie in this sense implies you already know a truth. When you lie to not hurt your wifes feelings do you really not hurt her feeling? does she not already know your lieing? When was the last time you couldnt actually tell if someone was trying to lie to you? maybe she just wish's to hear something to make her feel better. Does that lie help or hurt? Maybe when someone purposely backs you into lieing they want a fight a way to let out pent up aggression. Not at you necessarily but maybe at the day and such whos to say lieing then to ease tensions wont lead to latter tensions maybe engaging in the argument is the truth and something may be gained by faceing these thoughts.
In anger we often say mean hurtfull things but why are they hurtfull?
Often people feel hurt or let down when lied to but why? we live with lies everyday they have a place and use in society as we see it. Is it good or bad well as been stated thats perspective.
why do we lie well look at whats to be gained or lost to each person as they tell a lie. Easy case \"wifes butt\" lieing keeps peace for a time, maybe good for a laugh, boost wifes confidence in self, helps lead to other conversation. The list go's on the idea i guess is that lieing is almost always for the self and since many cultures see selfishness as evil and bad i can easily see a link between lieing and being equated with bad and evil but really its just another tool that must be used with care and consideration.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33831 by
There is a great difference Between Being Candid and Being Rude.......

You can speak with candor and express all you really need to say to anyone as long as it's language in a way that's respectful and allows the listener to PROTECT THEIR SELF WORTH....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #33876 by
The trick for me is knowing when I really feel I have to be honest and for when I just want to be the one that's right. Knowing when I'm just being blunt and when I'm being arrogant. Not every question needs an answer and not every answer has to be an unfiltered undulterated truth (as I see it, anyway).

I can use an \"honest\" answer to wound deeply, an dubious art I picked up in high school. It's something I'm working on catching myself at, sincerly apologizing when I overstep boundaries or hurt feelings. And not just prefacing a sentence with \"I'm sorry but,\" and going on full steam ahead, lol. Better yet, is to catch myself before I say something I'll regret. It hasn't been an easy habit to break!

As for the eternal butt debate, I have no advice for the guys caught by that one. I don't ask my boyfriend about that. He's not my first choice for advice on women's clothing, particularly since being up to my elbows in dishwater wearing old sweats is all it takes to get his attention, heh!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi