Please Help With This Documentary

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 weeks ago #30404 by
I am asking everyone (possible) to answer the following questionaire -

it is for a group of Media Studies students at Leeds University (UK) as part of a documentary they are making about Jediism. Post your answers below and i'll forward them via email

If you feel an answer is shared across more than one queston, dont worry about it.

Thank You (On behalf of Emma Englemann)

Tell me a bit about yourself...What made you decide to become a jedi? How old were you? Did you believe in anything else before?

Who came up with the Jedi belief system?

Some people see it as a bit of a joke, What is your reaction to this?

Why do you think it should be classed as a genuine religion? and are their any recent advancements in accomplishing this?

Since 2001 a census was carried out and 400'000 people claimed to be a jedi, yet these numbers have declined, why do you think this is?

What would I have to do to become a jedi?

Why should I become a jedi over another religion? Do you encourage people?

What exactly is Jediism? What are your practices?

Tell me about any religious routines.

What does your belief suggest what happens after death?

Do you fight with light sabers? (I'm not sure of the correct term for the tools you use!)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #30408 by RyuJin
Tell me a bit about yourself...What made you decide to become a jedi? How old were you? Did you believe in anything else before?
I was looking for answers, and found my way into zen Buddhism through martial arts. From there it was simply a matter of finding someone else that was a jedi who decided to train me as one. I was 13 at that time.

No single person in particular, though George Lucas has been credited with it, he simply borrowed from various religions and philosophies. The concepts that make a jedi have been around for thousands of years and have hundreds of contributors ranging from Buddha on the religious end to nietzche on the philosophical end. You’d be hard pressed to open a book on philosophy and not find a concept that isn’t in Jediism, or a book of religion for that matter. We simply blend the best of each and add to it a code of honor and chivalry, which quite frankly is missing in many of today’s traditions.

They have a right to think what they wish; it makes little difference to me. As I like to say “opinions are like sphincters, everyone’s got one, they all stink and nobody will admit it”

Why do you think it should be classed as a genuine religion? and are their any recent advancements in accomplishing this?
Why not, they call scientology a religion and it’s more like a cult than anything else. As to any recent advancements I couldn’t say. As I mentioned on the previous question it makes little difference to me if society accepts it or not

Since 2001 a census was carried out and 400'000 people claimed to be a jedi, yet these numbers have declined, why do you think this is?
I think the actions of the Welch church has played a part in that, with the whole tesco fiasco, then the ambush interviews, and the drunken vader. While I’m certain it wasn’t their intention to bring about negative publicity it happened, and all that can be done now is damage control…so to speak. It’s unfortunate that so many people are still susceptible to peer pressure.

I can’t speak for other orders, but for this order you simply have to complete the initiates training, pass a master’s training, and take the oath.

The only thing we encourage people to do is to learn, think, and decide for themselves. Only through learning do we equip ourselves with the necessary tools to think things through and make an intelligent decision for ourselves. As to why one should become a jedi over another religion can only be answered by the individual. Of course Jediism is a synchronistic system so one could be a Christian jedi, or Buddhist jedi, or pagan jedi etc…

Jediism is a collection of the best qualities from various world religions, paired with a code of honor and chivalry, and blended with a large array of philosophical concepts. Many of the practices will vary depending on the rite, however meditation is part of every rite as is the focus on health, and knowledge.

Coming from the Buddhist rite I don’t really have any routines other then meditation, and the use of incense.

What happens after death varies per individual spiritually, but physically we all give our energy back to the force, all of life borrows energy from the force, and all of life must return this energy. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed simply changed from one form to another. That’s physics…

Do you fight with light sabers? (I'm not sure of the correct term for the tools you use!)
Only for fun, it’s not required nor taught (unless asked). We do train in various forms of self defense, but what form to use is decided by the individual.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
14 years 1 week ago #30417 by Jestor
Tell me a bit about yourself...What made you decide to become a jedi? How old were you? Did you believe in anything else before? My parents were christians, Mom, Baptist and Dad was Catholic. They did not force (heh) any religion on me. They let me make up my own mind. I think I choose Catholic because they were.... more positive (?) that their's was the right, and only true religion. I was a kid, what did I know, (maybe to appease Dad as well...) My whole life I thought about \"life forces\". I though maybe the eastern religions had a little better grasp of what was going on... but, even then, I had doubts. The movie Jedi, in my mind, seem like the fighting monks of any eastern culture. They trained hard, both mentally and physically, and doesn't most current religions say the body is a temple? But they don't do anything about it. I always thought, that they were the closest to what I wanted to aspire to. Unfourtunatly, it is just a movie and the Jedi do not exist (or so I thought).

Who came up with the Jedi belief system? Well... people of the world? My exact belief is not the same as everyone else's. We all have fingerprints, yet no two are the same. Here at TOTJO, I am allowed to believe as I see fit, and discuss it in a no pressure environment. I have had a few discussions on how I see things, and on some points, I have had a lightbulb come on from statements made by other members.

Some people see it as a bit of a joke, What is your reaction to this? To laugh. Smile, nod and grin. They said the world was flat, they were wrong. People that are so positive of their opinions, are very entertaining.

Why do you think it should be classed as a genuine religion? and are their any recent advancements in accomplishing this? Really and truly, I could care less if it is. I am happier than I have been in a long time. I think that others who are searching for.... answers? questions? I don't know what anyone else would need.... but, if it makes me happy, I would (will) share this new knowledge with anyone interested, gladly. Accomplished toward that direction? Br. John ( John Henry Phelan) says we are registered in the state of Texas. It goes back to not caring what others think. I am happy, Br. John, Master Kana, Master Jon, I could put fifty names, more even, that have welcomed me and made me feel at home.

Since 2001 a census was carried out and 400'000 people claimed to be a jedi, yet these numbers have declined, why do you think this is? I don't think people are aware yet that it is real. Not the \"mystical power stuff\", but, the life-energy / life-force stuff. I have also stated it for a while before ever joining TOTJO. I would still state it, even had I never found this place.

What would I have to do to become a jedi? Declare it. I don't think it really matters where you believe. I joined TOTJO, I am currently a Knight Initiate. In my own head, I am a Jedi. Period.

Why should I become a jedi over another religion? Do you encourage people? To paraphrase Joe Campbell,\"It's been a good life, go ahead and live it as you have been.\" Are you happy? I won't push it on you. Glad to discuss if you would like. Unhappy, I'd be happy to talk about it, but maybe you are just losing faith in you beliefs... Maybe in talking, you can find your faith in your own beliefs again. Doesn't matter to me what you choose.

What exactly is Jediism? What are your practices? Well, wouldn't Jediism be the practice of the Jedi religion? I am still new to as far as what practices we have, I have been here almost three months, and no one has made me do anything. The only thing I have done is read, listen and a little thinking. I think those are pretty normal.

Tell me about any religious routines. hmm, do you know something I do not? As far as I can tell, just think positive, have positive thoughts, laugh a little, (or a lot), smile, enjoy conversations, enjoy kids, pets, sunlight, moonlight....

What does your belief suggest what happens after death? I am pretty sure the general concensus is that our energy returns to the force. I won't speak for all of TOTJO. Again, I say that we do not follow a strict set of rules. There is room for opinions, and we do discuss it to some degree. But nothing says my opinion is right. We will all have to see when it happens to us.

Do you fight with light sabers? (I'm not sure of the correct term for the tools you use!) lol... Maybe... If I can fit it in after my \"Moving Things With my Mind Class\", an my \"Like Yoda, How to Speak, I will Learn\" group.

Seriously, there seems to be quite a few martial artists here. And I am sure that some have trained with weapons. I have not. I train in a style of TaeKwonDo called MooDukKwon. I am a third degree black belt soon to try for my fourth Dan. I do not do this to be Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan.... (ok, maybe Chow Yun Phat, cause he is really cool....... j/k)

I don't drive over the speed limit to think I am a racecar driver. I don't play cards thinking I am a poker champion.

I am me. You are you. I do what I like, and I expect you would do the same.

But the name is nostalgic, and it does look like fun to try sword play. Maybe I'll try it somewhere down the road.. then again, maybe not....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 week ago #30457 by

My own decision was made just before I turned 21 years of age, when I had a religious experience I couldn't explain within the context of any religion. I discovered that I had more in common with the fictional Jedi of films than I did with anyone who could tell me anything about religion. I have been developing my own spirituality on this path since at least 1996, though I didn't call myself a Jedi until closer to 2004.

As a matter of history, it was contrived by Dr. Joseph Campbell and George Lucas, with the intent to appeal to people who wanted or needed a spiritual awakening. It was not intended to become a religion, per se, according to Mr. Lucas. While I personally hold both of these people in high regard for creating a framework into which belief could be placed, that they don't qualify as saints, though they are worthy of note because of their unwitting contributions.

It's my own understanding that most religions are being taken as something of a joke by someone, somewhere, so I feel that the Jedi belief system fits right in, in that respect. Take into account that religions like Mormonism were seen as a joke in their early development in the USA (before they were declared an abomination, and then grudgingly accepted) means that we're basically on the same track. Sikhism was also thought to be something of a joke in the 1800's in England, before people realized that there is a solemn spirituality to it. It's as much of a joke as any religion, which is to say there are people within the practice who take it quite seriously.

Jediism is a genuine religion. It's also a sideline philosophy. It's also something of a disorganised mess. The problem is that there isn't (and cannot be, for the sake of the core ideals of the belief system) a central authority. At best, there can be a loose confederacy of leaders and founders which might coordinate enough to be called a \"Jedi Council\" but this simply hasn't happened. Nonetheless, the adherents to the belief system are essentially devout in their faith, and believe in a deep-seated spirituality which is the very fundamental stuff of any religion.

The Temple of the Jedi Order operates as a charitable religious organisation in the USA. There is another charity in Canada called Order of the Jedi. And as well, the Church of Jediism in the UK is working toward charitable status. Having charitable status allows us to obtain the same protections in these countries as other charities, and the charities can serve to further the Jedi aim to reduce or eliminate unnecessary suffering.

Honestly, this was done as something of a lark. Even at the time, I thought it was ridiculous that there might be that many Jedi in the world. There hasn't been a real decline; there has been an increase. In 2000, there were perhaps 2,000 serious adherents in the world. By the end of 2001, with the census debacle, there were perhaps ten times that number. Today, estimates run from 10,000 to 50,000 members, depending upon how one counts members. I like to take a number closer to the mean of the range, which is perhaps 35,000 people worldwide. Not a major world religion, but serious nonetheless.

It would be interesting to be able to discover what the true number is, but to a Jedi this is actually not important. We tend to practice as a matter of our own spirituality, not because it's necessarily popular or unpopular.

Anyone who decides to practice the Jedi philosophy can consider themselves a Jedi. There's no baptism, though many places do require a modicum of teaching before you can start to advance in understanding of what a Jedi is. You can also learn about Jediism many other ways, for example the way you are doing now is perfectly valid as a means of learning.

Jediism can be practiced (like Buddhism) alongside other religious beliefs, or as a standalone religion. If the Jedi philosophy appeals to you over other religions, then that's what you should do in order to satisfy your spiritual needs. We encourage people to be themselves. Proselytizing isn't forbidden, but I have yet to see it undertaken by anyone who is serious about the Jedi faith. We're generally satisfied with the growth we have.

That is a very complex question to answer in such limited space, but suffice it to say that there is a rich coordination of practices which come from a variety of outside sources, as well as development of new techniques within. Entire volumes could be written to answer this question.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I meditate twice a day (three times, if I can get away with it). I have also recently begun development of other routines for my own group, which is only a few people strong.

The body disintegrates, and the soul rejoins the Force. For my local group, it is a time of celebration, as someone has an end to suffering, and so we celebrate our dead by remembering the good and great things they did while alive. Other groups believe in cremation of the body, and some mourn in their faith's tradition. There is no specific requirement in this regard, other than honoring the \"graduation\" of going from this life into the next (whether that is reincarnation, existence as a spirit, or whatever else the case might be).

My own small group uses martial arts practice weapons, wooden dowels, twigs with dinner spoons tied to them... whatever we can use to learn the discipline of swordplay. We don't display this, because we're not after fame or anything. We just happen to think it's fun, and helps with our meditative practice. We don't feel that it's necessary to spend hundreds of dollars on a fancy toy which gives us the same benefit as something which costs less than one-tenth the price. There are currently no required ceremonies which use it in our vein.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 week ago #30479 by
I had a winding journey that eventually led me to jediism, I was 22 when I made my way here to the temple. before coming to the temple, I was a bit confused almost agnostic, yet still believing in a force or Dao.

Not sure I can answer that...Lucas, Kevin J. Smith, Lao Tzu, Christ, all add to the collaboration and views of members

Let them, to each their own. Every religion is laughed at by someone, and that’s not wrong ...without laughter what is life?

I believe jediism is a wonderful experience allowing us to explore various beliefs and philosophies without judgement or ridicule, it is not one religions but a collaboration of many ...a point of convergence

I think many may have filled it out for a laugh, some may have the reasons of those of us in the temple, some may have just gone down other paths. We are not a cult, and if someone chooses to leave the jedi belief they are free to do so.

Complete the Initiates training, and then talk with a knight/master about being an apprentice

I encourage people to explore their inner self and to look from other perspectives, though some may not come to the temple, I offer the temple as a great place to do this, but if someone is already involved in a religion, they can always feel comfort in what they are familiar with and to not turn you’re back on something you feel strong in. I don’t believe in “converting” in the traditional sense

It all depends on the person, some of us meditate, do martial arts, do mantras, etc, each person’s journey is their own.

Personally - Mostly meditation and self exploration

We all become one with the force, whether that is a heaven or hell, becoming one with the earth again, rebirth, etc is all in the eye of the believer, I’ve never seen one view pushed on others, we are all free to explore and believe what we will.

Personally, I have used plastic lightsabers as a cheep and lighter replacement for a boken (or wooden sword) to spar with friends, I’ve also used Bamboo swords, Boken, and even PVC pipe for sparring, which is a great way to exercise, get some laughs, and even supplement melee rules in an airsoft or paintball game

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 week ago #30490 by
Just a quick THANK YOU SO MUCH for thse submissions, always plenty of room for more though and yes that includes my own (present circumstances make it tricky)

anyway - cheers folks ;)

MTFBYW - A

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi