Companionship

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28625 by
Companionship was created by
Just a brief pondering on the difference between a student and their Master and companionship as followed by various other mystic groups. From my limited understanding,comppanionship is two or more followers of a Path working and learning together instead of one trying to teach and the other peron learn. I was curious about others thoughts on this and if there was a particular system in place within the temple for those Jedi with no masters to work together towards projects such as archiving old posts, helping development Redheron's idea for a physical temple location,etc. I was also curious as to what projects are currently being pursued by the Temple and what is available for members to assist in as I feel being of service is a big part of the Jedi path.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28628 by
Replied by on topic Re:Companionship
Well - I can't really answer your question fully - not in terms of answring it for everyone.

The thing is - each teaching master here (teaching masters are knights and above as against a fully ranked 'Master') has their own particular way of doing things and 'teaching' styles.

Now some will 'teach' like a ummm a teacher - ie they will provide the materials and then set 'questions' etc - others are more 'guides' (which I think or at least to use as my style).

In all instances though - it is hoped at least, that the teaching master will gain as much from the relationship as the apprentice. So in a way there is an element of 'companionship' and in others a more 'student/master' - are we not all 'companions' on the same journey ? - its just some have had a few steps more than others.

In terms of 'masterless' jedi - well, that depends on which stage your talking about - we obviously have the initiates stage - whereby folk complete various exercises to become eligible for apprenticeship. So assuming you mean those who have completed the initiates work (the thumb twiddlers :D) there is no 'set' work or such - but why do they need to be 'told' what to do - isnt there plenty of learning to be done of ones own accord? this site alone has a lot of articles, books etc to be read, listened too etc let alone what the rest of the world has to offer.

As to 'helping the temple' - believe it or not - completing the initiates classes etc is a massive help - working towards becoming an apprentice, and being an apprentice - becoming a knight is ALL very very helpful.

Ive said this before and usually get a heap of private messages along the lines of 'WTF? How can doing this be of help?'

So here is my little analogy - think of every 'knight' (or at least teaching master) as being a bacteria - a germ - whatever, or even a simple pyramid scheme.

Think of training an apprentice to knighthood as cell division - each knight produces another - so one becomes two.

Now those two each train another apprentice each - two become four - so on n so forth

in a while - you have a lot of knights - so ok not all will make it or stay but likewise - a knight will usually train more than one apprentice in their lives and often have more than one apprentice at any given time.

So you want to help? - become a knight - honestly - its actually that easy.

MTFBWY - A

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28633 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Companionship
good analogy....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28641 by
Replied by on topic Re:Companionship
Good point and well taken...I was meaning more along the lines that anyone could do for helping with whatever projects are going on right now...while tudying and contemplation is fine and a very good thing...in my view,it is also useless if not applied and part of that is to be of service.There are many ways I apply being of service in my own life such as taking care of my father regardless of his actions.However, I want to be of service to the temple as well in more than just learning.It is also a way of me giving back for what I am receiving from my fellow Jedi as I continue to learn and grow.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi