derailed threat

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27775 by
derailed threat was created by
i admit, i am new to blogging and threads. i want to be a member of this community. since this is a virtual community created by threads and blogs, i am learning how to part take in them.

the question i have is, what happens when a thread gets taken over or derailed? how does one get it back on track or does a person simply start a new one?

is there a way to delete threads that have gotten way off track?

what is the etiquette about commenting on \"derailing\" content?

i want to participate in an appropriate way, so let me know if there is a system or custom for this keeping a thread on track.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27783 by
Replied by on topic Re:derailed threat
I may not give you the best answer, but I do have some advice you may find helpful.

If a topic gets derailed.( I.E. too man tangents) You could ask politely just like you would a conversation in real life to get back on track. You may have to re-state a question, but it may help to find the answer you seek.

As for editing and managing topics such as moving or locking ect. Leave that to the admins and moderators. That is part of their job, though I hate to point at said persons and be like. ( We need a clean up on aisle 3 or this topic is no longer relavent to the purpose that it was intended so you clean it up)

I would say dont' worry too much. There are many people on here that can help.

And it's alot like real life. Keep things humane, clean, and handle issues with others in a responsible manner.

NOTE: I don't know this sites rules or views on Necroposting( i.e. replying to a topic that is more than a few weeks old and is on the verge of dying or drifting out of site, therefore bringing it to the forefront of topic list)

I hope this helps.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 4 months ago #27784 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:derailed threat
I second Guardianofwinds. Blogs take on the form of long one off articles of interest, notices, sermons, issues and the like which are ment to be brought to the particular attention of the member. Posts can be that too but they can be short and more opinionated. You are new so don`t worry, we all went through this, you will get the feeling for what is right or not. We all have to learn to swim.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27790 by
The moderation/admin team do watch threads - the role of such bodies is quite ciomplex but trying to be a 'referee' ie seeing how on or off topic a thread is headed is one of them.

We tend not to interviene too much - we all like a joke from time to time etc and a bit of banter never hurts as long as it all doesnt get out of hand etc.

If you 'feel' a thread is getting off hand - you can simply type whatever comment but start with 'going back to the main theme...'

or ask an admin/moderator ;)

It is (fortunately) very very rare for a post to warrent an edit (for bad language etc) and even rarer for a thread to be removed altogether and its thanks to the general membership and the way in which they behave that is ultimatly the reason for this (so thanks guys for making ht elives of the admin/mod squad so much easier ;))

MTFBWY - A

More
14 years 4 months ago #27803 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:derailed threat
We've all had threads go shooting off into space towards odd destinations, it's often an easy course correction \"to get back to our topic\" works well enough.

Often times I have let a topic drift off after the main topic seems to have had it's due.

Tangents can sometimes be more interesting than the original topic, but of course thats another topic itself. :P

I does however make furure reference of a comment or point if it's buried within a non-related titled thread. (now just where did I read that syndrome)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27806 by
thanks for the suggestions. simple and doable.

enjoy

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 4 months ago #27808 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:derailed threat
what were we talking about? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27811 by
ah, i don't remember. must not be important anyways.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi