Chaos Meditation

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27662 by
Chaos Meditation was created by
I know meditation is used to center oneself and focus on the inner person and to gain clarity about any thoughts or situations you may find yourself in and therefore is thought of as a more serene act, but in my experiences I thought I would try something different. As someone who practices zazen quite often one day I felt moved to try a sort of free writing style of meditation. (any of you out there who write know what I am talking about) Free writing is used to help cure writer's block and free the bonds of conventional thought sometimes for those who have trouble expressing themselves.
As I was sitting one night (often what us zen followers call meditating) I tried to sort of open myself to any thoughts and even invite as many thoughts into my head at once as I could to see where the natural progression of things would flow. Now, if any of you have been practicing zazen for any extended period of time this kind of becomes a hard thing to do as you train yourself to close out the distractions. This time (purely for academic reasons) I tried to welcome everything I could mentally. Naturally though the thoughts started to coalesce and a clear train of thought emerged. It was almost like playing the devil's advocate...Invite as much anarchy into the picture and watch the order come about.

Anyone else ever do this? I know that if my teacher were to hear of my doing this it would definitely earn me a few taps of the keisaku.

I would love to hear some feedback from others. I don't think I will make this a habit, of course, but definitely something that struck me as interesting to try.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 4 months ago #27671 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Chaos Meditation
i have done this on numerous occassions....i always called it \"focusing my thoughts\" since that is basically what ends up happening...out of chaotic thoughts comes a focused stream of comprehension

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27710 by
Replied by on topic Re:Chaos Meditation
XMortis, one must becareful to not \"indulge\" in the chaos unless prepared to deal with the elements that accompay that particular meditation.

To answer your question I have done it many times for me it is comfort but then I am different.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27766 by
Replied by on topic Re:Chaos Meditation
Not something I plan on doing on an ongoing basis as I do not want to break my routine and personally it was just a \"I wonder what would happen if....\" scenario.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi