Internet Trolls: A Survival Guide

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26782 by
Internet trolls are people who have too much time on their hands and who suck at games (and are too broke to afford Warcraft... how far can you really get in 10 days on a trial account, anyway?). They are generally very angry and don't really have a clue what they're talking about. And in general, the one thing they want to do is to annoy you.

This is hard to do if you find their antics funny. And since we're Jedi, we can see things from a variety of perspectives, meaning that if we try hard enough we can see the funny side (even if our socially-responsible side gets annoyed and offended). It's honestly a matter of laughing at their antics, patting them on the head, and complimenting them on their imaginations (or complaining about the lack thereof). It's a game, you see, and if you resist playing, the troll can claim victory.

Most trolls are between 15 and 23, are lacking in verifiable employment, and tend to live with parents (which, if they're over 21, is an issue in our society... but they aren't supposed to care). They like to feel superior. They love it when they can annoy and harass, and they like to make out that they are the victims (which they are: of their own choices).

If a troll is encountered, play along. Laugh with the jokes, harsh though they may be. Roll with the punches, whether they sting or are off their mark. A clever troll will do some research before trying to troll someone: it's a mark of inexperience when they don't. They also live off of contention--the word \"Sith\" could very well mean the same as \"troll\" in this regard!

Many people who want to claim the title of Sith are actually just trolls who don't really understand the seriousness of the title--they do it in fun because they're against the establishment of religion (or any establishment that they can think of, really... trolls will try to counter anything that's truly organized on the grounds that it's somehow \"evil\").

The real trolls are far and few between, and they're really good at what they do: their job is to show just how weak that concepts like tolerance and kindness really are, because it's all they know.

Pity the poor trolls: they don't honestly know they're uneducated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 5 months ago #26783 by RyuJin
:laugh: knowing where the block user command is located is useful too

from what i've read of our recent visitor he/she isn't quite as intelligent as they thought they were, that and they have an inferiority complex. what a pity

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26784 by
Am I missing something here?

You mentioned 'our recent visitor' - if this is someone being a haemorrhoid (pain in the butt) the best action is to report them to one of the masters or admin (but preferably one of the temple security officers)

If someone would let me know who is being the pain and why you think they are a pain then I and others can investigate and we DO deal with such 'trolls' swiftly here.

The best action for the general membership is to ignore them and not to reply - I know its hard especially if yo totally disagree with them - but why waste the time and energy in fuelling their attention seeking desire?

As for Sith Lord Zion (im assuming thats who you all mean) feel free to spam, send virues etc to jpsithlord@yahoo.com

Shout is easy to deal with - just post 'stuff' until its all gone - everyone can get the ip of the sender by hovering the pointer over the username and waiting a second or two - the ip then shows with a time of posting - copy n paste the post and the ip etc and send to one of the above as evidence.

Trust me on this - during school holidays etc - we get LOTS of such 'comedians' so just treat it as water off a ducks back ;)

MTFBWY - A

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 5 months ago #26786 by RyuJin
lol canned meat virus....
i wasn't here when he visited otherwise i might of reported...more then likely though i would have simply ignored him

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27008 by
Actually I don't think you can generalize people like that. I believe that while the environment makes most of the people to behave like they do, it's not always the case. The mood of that person could have been influenced by something bad that happened to that particular person which could make his messages seem to be trolling, or that person has some mental disorder, or something 3rd. My point is that not all of them, maybe not even most of them have too much of free time or suck at games making your generalization a bit exaggerated. Please don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to attack you in any way, I'm just trying to explain that generalizing people like that, or even generalizing people to easily is a bad thing to do. It will make you a poor judge of character, not to mention that you might put on your ignore list some good people because they 'lost it' sometimes.

Back to trolls. Dealing with those kind of people is easy, or at least should be easy. They obviously have some issues at the moment, or even permanent issues, so ignoring them comes naturally, no matter how wrong they are and an even better case of ignoring them is when they get too offensive. There is simply no point in discussing anything with them at that moment unless you would like to help them.
Those people obviously can't help themselves when they write nonsenses on a forum or wherever, but if you can't help yourself and let that same nonsense get to you than you too have a problem. You obviously have to work on your character to not get affected by nonsense of a random person having an anger management problem. I'm new here and don't know exactly but I'm pretty sure a strong character is an characteristic of a good Jedi, and if that's not the case it's definitely a characteristic of a strong person.

If I caused some offence with whatever I said, that was not my goal. I'm simply trying to help you, I hope you can realize that.
Regards.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27009 by
Actually I don't think you can generalize people like that. I believe that while the environment makes most of the people to behave like they do, it's not always the case. The mood of that person could have been influenced by something bad that happened to that particular person which could make his messages seem to be trolling, or that person has some mental disorder, or something 3rd. My point is that not all of them, maybe not even most of them have too much of free time or suck at games making your generalization a bit exaggerated. Please don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to attack you in any way, I'm just trying to explain that generalizing people like that, or even generalizing people to easily is a bad thing to do. It will make you a poor judge of character, not to mention that you might put on your ignore list some good people because they 'lost it' sometimes.

Back to trolls. Dealing with those kind of people is easy, or at least should be easy. They obviously have some issues at the moment, or even permanent issues, so ignoring them comes naturally, no matter how wrong they are and an even better case of ignoring them is when they get too offensive. There is simply no point in discussing anything with them at that moment unless you would like to help them.
Those people obviously can't help themselves when they write nonsenses on a forum or wherever, but if you can't help yourself and let that same nonsense get to you than you too have a problem. You obviously have to work on your character to not get affected by nonsense of a random person having an anger management problem. I'm new here and don't know exactly but I'm pretty sure a strong character is an characteristic of a good Jedi, and if that's not the case it's definitely a characteristic of a strong person.

If I caused some offence with whatever I said, that was not my goal. I'm simply trying to help you, I hope you can realize that.
Regards.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi