Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26755 by
OK - this isnt a review as such - but here inthe UK at least - these freshly released video is a hot topic - essentially there are calls for its banning.

I have bought the Xbox360 version and whilst not completed it yet - ive played the mission thats getting the most attention.

So has anyone else played it? Do you see what the fuss is about etc? Is it any worse than any other game or indeed - movie thats available ?

Lets talk this out - to start here is my thought

Level 3 is the 'bad one' apparently - the whole game is set in a fictional version of modern times - war inthe middle east, the Russians get involved etc etc. Now the plot at level 3 is thus - the USA get an agent into an extremist Russian group who will fight for the highest bidder - the character gets close to the leader and is 'trusted' by said leader - and the group plot and carry out an attack on an airport. Basically they stroll thru shooting etc and at the end the agent is sussed and shot by the gang leader for the Russians to find - with him being american - it leads to open war.

Now then - my opion is this as well as mental notes and observations.

#1 - it isnt at all necessary for the player to participate in the shooting of civilians - not until the Russian army arrive do you need to fight.

#2 Before the mission starts - you get a warning along the lines of 'this mission has content some may find distressing and offensive - do you wish to play it or skip it - you will not lose game score or completion status for skipping this level (or any xbox live rewards etc)
You get asked yes or no 3 times (I think - certainly more than once)

#3 Its clearly 18 rated (in the UK) and its illegal for shops to sell under-age folk games and likewise its illegal to buy games for under-age folk.

Surely - if a person is going to be influenced by a video game - they would have been by plebty of others by now - and for the record - I own and have completed all the other CoD games and none of them are any less or more 'violent' than this title.

So I guess im suggesting the press (as per usual) get their facts straight - although to be fair - one UK paper said the game was probably more 'biased to wards American sentimentality towards 9/11' but my questions remain - has anyone else seen/played this game and what are your thoughts?

MTFBWY - A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #26763 by Grom Fett
I had friends who just skipped school the first day that it came out just to play it. From what im hearing from them its a really good game and that one level well some say its fun the others are just whatever about it.
I cant wait to get my hands on it but im going to get the one that comes with night vision goggles cause its so cool:laugh:.
I really hope that the angry moms dont ban CODMW2.

Former Master:Br John
Rite:Jediism Rite
Former Apprentice: Knight Apprentice OwenShea 11/08, Angelus 11/09
Current Apprentice:

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 5 months ago #26765 by RyuJin
i haven't played it but i've seen some screenshots for it and it looks phenominal...as to the fuss being made...they did the same thing for many of the grand theft auto games...my question is how feeble minded is someone if they're going to let a video game or movie influence their actions...i think they only use it as an excuse in a sad attempt to try and justify what they do...it's like the parents here in the u.s. that got the show naruto taken off cartoon network...it aired at 930pm(when most kids should be sleeping for school)and before the toonami(segment of the channel for teens) block came on it was preceeded by a parental advisory...of course some parents didn't pay attention to this and foolishly let they're young children watch it, then some of these kids went out and tried to duplicate some of the fighting scenes a couple of kids wound up dying...i see that as neglect. the parents should have paid attention to the parental advisory as well as their children, instead they used the t.v. as a substitute parent. then when things went awry they turn around and blame society...neglectful parents always look for other sources to blame without ever looking in the mirror. movies, music, video games, cartoons...

they really do need to lay off,...it's just a game, and as you said they give you the opportunity to opt out on that level without penalty.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26767 by
Replied by on topic Re:Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2
In terms of graphical blood n guts - you dont see any - just the usual brief red spurt.

Now many moons ago - a game called vietcong was released for the pc - and in that - you really did 'blow up' things and people - and i mean graphically too - not a word was said about this in the press

Many of the rainbow 6 games allowed for 'execution' shots - if you shot a bad guy inthe knees - he'd go down on his knoees and put his hands on his head - and most 'kids' would finish em off

really old games like mortal kombat - they were blood heavy - and nothing ever said.

According to the following article - its too late to ban it now - millions of copies already sold and I bet the writers much appreciated the free advertising provided by the press :D Ive never played GTA and as im not into driving games I probably wont - but I remember the hype and had the same thoughts as ive expressed here.

Anyway - responsible parents wont let their kids get hold of this game - as usual its the irresponsible minority who spoil it for the rest.

Here is what MSN news has to say...

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=150863483

pa.press.net, Updated: 13/11/2009
Controversial game breaks records

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has broken records in its first 24 hours

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has broken records in its first 24 hours

A controversial video game broke sales records on its opening day to make it the biggest entertainment launch in history, according to its publisher.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sold 4.7 million copies in the UK and US alone within 24 hours of its launch on Tuesday, generating a revenue of £186 million, Activision said.

US-based Activision chief executive Mike Griffith said: \"The Call Of Duty franchise has become a cultural phenomenon, showing the power of video games as an entertainment medium.

\"The shattering of these entertainment records is a testament to the compelling, cinematic and uniquely engaging experience that the Call Of Duty brand delivers.\"

Crowds gathered in London's Leicester Square for a \"premiere\" on Monday night, complete with tanks and military costumes, ahead of the epic hitting the shelves at midnight.

Games fans may have been snapping up the £55 discs but the blockbuster's content has come under attack from politicians.

Described in press material as featuring \"gripping and heart-racing action as players face off against a new threat dedicated to bringing the world to the brink of collapse\", the game involves hunting down a terrorist and allows players to plot attacks against civilians.

Modern Warfare 2, developed by US company Infinity Ward, is rated as mature for its \"blood, drug reference, intense violence and language\".

Labour MP Keith Vaz called for action to ensure the 18-certificate game did not end up in the hands of children, while fellow Labour former digital minister Tom Watson said it would be better to support the UK's video gaming industry.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 5 months ago #26771 by RyuJin
the game psi ops would let you control an enemies mind and make them kill themselves and you saw everything but this game managed to fly under the radar of everybody. i remember when vietcong came out. you nailed it on the head Kana, responsible parents either won't get it for their kids or will educate them on the facts...it's always the irresponsible minority that spoils the fun for everyone.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26774 by
Replied by on topic Re:Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2
The only game I remember getting more hype and banning calls was (and another old title) road rash - basically points for hit n run.

Do games such as Grand Turismo, Forza and many other 'driving' games encourage dangerous driving?

Probably not - I showed my folks CoDMW2 level 3 and I quote 'Is that it? is that what all the fuss is about?'

They are in their 70's. My point of the entire topic is to get people to realise that 'hype' about (for example) a video game or movie (Natural Born Killers was banned in the UK by many local authorities using by-laws) is often exactly that - it attention seeking and stirring.

All well n good but individuals must decide for themselves whats decent or not - and the answer is to vote with your wallet/purse - if its unacceptable - people wont buy it.

As I said above - I strongly suspect the talk of banning drove a good proportion of folk to buy it - admittedly many copies were pre-ordered before the hype broke out - but im afraid the press who want this game banned have shot themselves in the foot (excuse intended pun :lol:) and given the masses a reason to buy it.

Most of the CoD games are good fun. Im not sure why they are fun - but they are ;)

MTFBWY - A

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 5 months ago #26778 by RyuJin
:laugh: good stuff

Quotes:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi