Issue with the oath

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26657 by
Issue with the oath was created by
I have some questions about the oath itself, and in particular my issue is a little personal. Is there any way I can make a different oath and have it approved by someone? I'd like to speak to someone about this, because I take my oaths very seriously. To date, I've only ever taken three oaths, and failed to live up to one of them.

The wording on the current oath here could be interpreted to conflict with one of the other oaths I've taken. Is the interpretation fixed or open?

I have lots of questions about this.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26661 by
Replied by on topic Re:Issue with the oath
I am not the authority on questions of our oath, but I'll speak to my view on the issue.

The oath is a serious thing and speaks to the views that all of us here at the temple profess to accept, believe and uphold. If there is some specific point of question then the first step might be to write out the oath in this post line by line and explain where and why there is an issue with the oath as is. With this understanding those that may make the decision can understand your reasoning, thoughts and intentions.

Once all sides are seen and meaning know you may find yourself able to take the oath as written, or find some similar language that meets the spirit of the oath and does not conflict with earlier commitments.

Just my thoughts, which I hope help in some way.

MTFBWY

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26664 by
That does help, I'll get to rewording, though I haven't thought about it yet and am still going through the initial exercises in addition to trying to keep my life going... lotsa work! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26668 by
Part of the initiates training is to break down the oath line by line and tell us what YOU think it means.

There are members here who 'prefer' the older code - so you could take that.

I hope you'll understand that if we allow 'custom' vaients of the code - then your not taking the unifying code of the order

it would be like me saying 'i'll become an american citizen IF i can 'reword' it to suit me'

I swear allegiance to the flag of the united states of Great Britain

So if you come up with an alternative - im happy to put it to the council - but another option is to not take the oath and still be an active member here

MTFBWY - A

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 5 months ago #26676 by
That's the kind of clarification I needed! Thank you!

Essentially, I'm worried about people using one oath to try to negate the other (and it's not necessarily this group who would do it). The issue is that I take the upholding of my oaths very seriously (as I've said repeatedly, now), and I'm hoping to avoid the appearance of a conflicting interest.

That being said, I'll actually hold off on taking the oath and just continue doing my initial (i.e., introductory) work for the moment.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi