http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMkb8RV9JHU

This is an intersting video I just saw.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26253 by
Replied by on topic Re:Mayan Calendar Explained
as it ends in 2012 - so does the world - according to those who haven't really thought about it or Nostradamus :D

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26264 by
It's not likely that the world will 'stop' as time moves in a circle, not a straight line. I believe that 2012 will bring new changes, which is great. Nobody who left this world will be coming back, even though a Beatles reunion would be fantastic :laugh: .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26268 by
I was being sarcastic - but there are folk who believe the world will literally stop when this calendar (or we hit 2012) runs out.

The fact of the matter is we have already had 2012 under this calendar - we the gregorian system (12 months) I believe the myans had 8-10 months (the romans added a couple of new months).

See how 'time' is another humnan invention/concept :D - as species go - were quite funny really :D

More
13 years 10 months ago #31744 by Damion_Storm
When thinking about the beliefs of the end of the world in 2012 I believe that it is being taken to literally. My hope and belief is that it is not the physical end but the spiritual change. I believe that the world is moving toward a new day of enlightenment. As the world gets worse and worse the is no other logical path but to the world to return to a pure state of enlightenment and that religious wars to stop as all will see that we are the same.

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon

More
13 years 10 months ago #31749 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:Mayan Calendar Explained
its the end of the mayan calendar...
but that doesn't means anything, we, every years trash our calendars, and find a new one to hang in the wall

maybe thats all, they need to print the new one...

its impossible to perform a perfect prediction of the future.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31751 by
While deployed to Iraq I was in charge of a few Third Country Nationals (yes its degrading to call them that but that is a military term), they were from India and they laugh at how people are buzzing around about 2012. They use a very similar calendar in India as the Mayans and for the Indians it is the year 2057 right now as explained at the time, so really they just ran out of stone to write on. Or they found the demise of thier own culture (which if the calendar is close the the Indian's calendar), they are far past the 2012 they predicted.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31879 by
Here's how I see it. The Mayans had to stop somewhere. Every section of the calendar required a great amount of work. So it seems like a legitimate reason that they would stop more then 1500 years in the future. Or maybe something happened in their society that didn't allow them to continue. Political or otherwise. We just can't know for sure. But it's not the end of the world. That I can guarantee.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 10 months ago #31881 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Mayan Calendar Explained
ah but if humanity isn't careful, we could turn it into a self fulfilling prophecy....which would make the mayans right even if they simply ended the cycle at 2012...we hold the key to our destruction as well as our liberation...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31882 by
If you study the Mayan calendar (technically the Long Count), you'll see that it ends after a 13-baktun cycle:
1 tun = 1 year (18 months of 20 days plus 5 days given over to the birthdays of gods)
20 tuns = 1 katun
20 katuns = 1 baktun
13 baktuns = approximately 5200 years.

The Mayans viewed the numbers 13 and 20 as sacred and mystical and they believed that humanity rose and fell in cycles of 13 baktuns (5200 years). The age that we are about to enter will be the 5th (or the 6th Sun according to the later Aztecs). They also believd that the last age was affected by flood. This corresponds roughly to the deluge myths of the Bible, the Sumerians, etc etc.

So it is thought that humanity will enter a new era of harmony and peaceful co-existence and this change will start around the end of the cycle (worked out to be roughly around Dec 21st 2012) and possibly marked by natural disasters. We're already having a huge amount of tsunami, earthquakes, etc and if we were to have continued with our polluting, Earth-destructive tendencies, who know what m,ay have happened. But it may be a case of averting disaster because it was foretold (the opposite to what RyuJin was proposing) - like the Millenium Bug, would it have happened if we hadn't put so many measures in place to prevent it?

The Mayans aren't then only ones with related prophecies:

Zulu tribes tell of the return of M-sho-sho-no-no (star with a very long tail) in 2012 which turned the world upside down thousands of years ago and will again (a comet? planetary polar shift?)

The Hopi tribe tell of a forthcoming \"great purification\" before the start of the \"5th world\" and have the \"Blue Star prophecy\" about all this:
http://www.december-21-2012.com/hopi-blue-star-prophecy.php

The Maori believe that Rangi (the sky) and Papa (Earth) will take advantage of mankind's quarrelling and come back together with devastating consequences, agreed to be in 2010.

Aztec seers predicted a period of \"hell\" of 9 lots of 52-year cycles after the Spanish Conquest (the end of their \"heavenly\" times). This would be followed by a 25-year cycle of purification before the 6th Sun and equates to February 2012.

Grandfather Moses Shongo of the Seneca Indians foretold the same.

The Book of Daniel mentions a prophetic dream in which Daniel overheard Jesus telling an angel that \"for two thousand and three hundred evenings and mornings shall the sanctuary be trampled underfoot. Then it shall be restored to its rightful state. From the time that the continual burnt offering is taken away and the abomination that makes desolate is set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days. Blessed is he who waits and comes to the thousand three hundred and thirty five days, the end of days.\" Going on the common principle that biblical prophecies refer to years as days, the \"sanctuary\" will be trampled underfoot from the invasion of the Greeks in 333BC until 2300 years later, 1967AD. Add on the blessed \"extra waiting time\" of 45 years and the End of Days is predicted to be 2012.

Then there's St. Malachy's Prophecy of the Popes (given in 1139) that states that the current Pope is to be the last; Terence McKenna's Timewave Zero, an exposition of \"novelty theory\" that states that an Omega point of everything being possible all at once will occur in 2012; the relevance of the pyramid of Kulkulcan at Chichen Itza with regard to serpent energies and a solar eclipse (occurring in 2012), etc etc etc.

So there's a lot of prophecies and theories stating that something will happen in 2012 but what? Some say disaster, others say glory. It's entirely up to you what you believe. Personally I'm hoping for a shift in awareness that means there's more people helping than destroying. It may not even be apparent until years later that 2012 was when it started to happen. So make up your own mind, but isn't it worth rallying to an idea of global harmony and humanitarian support? That's the kind of self-fulfilling prophecy that I'd like to see!

As the Maya-Aztec shaman Quetza-Sha said in 1991: \"The year 2012 is not the destruction of the planet, but is the transformation of the spirit, sexual energy, the energy of your heart and mind in all the dimensions of our existence in the solar system\".

MTFBWY

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi