Quiet your mind

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #2314 by
Quiet your mind was created by
This was, by far, one of the first and hardest lessons I ever had to learn when my master first started instructing me in the ways of the Force. When those words came from his mouth I looked at him like a dog does when it cocks its head in contemplation. When I asked why it was important he replied with one word, “Focus.” If your mind is racing with the events of the day, yesterday, what you have to do tomorrow or next week or whenever, how are you going to focus on the Living Force? If your mind is too busy wrapping it’s self around the things we spend way too much time dwelling on, how are you going to be able to respond properly to flow of the Force or even the attacks of the negative (Dark Side)? What about when you try to meditate? Will you have a successful session if you can’t break yourself free from the concerns of the world?

We have to quiet our minds. There is no way around this. We have to block out the random thoughts that catch and take control of our focus. We, as Jedi, are not meant to be like ships blown where ever the wind wants to take us. We need the ability to focus ourselves at a moments notice. If we do not have the ability to quiet our minds, we can not focus. We will be drawn off task.

Quieting the mind is one of the first lessons I give an apprentice. It is an invaluable lesson. I was taught a technique taken from a book by Rosemary Altea called, You Own the Power, in chapter one, Releasing Stress and Finding Peace, that I will use quotes from while explaining this to you. Sit cross legged on the floor or if need be, in a chair at a table in a quiet place with little to no distractions. Place a lit candle in front of you. “…concentrate on the flame, and fill your sight and mind with the light, color, and shape of the flame.” Let go of all the random thoughts about what you have to do or have done. Focus on the flame. It should be all that matters at that point and time.

If you have ever looked directly at a light bulb or the sun and then closed your eyes, you can still see the image in the dark of your mind’s eye. That is what you want to achieve by focusing on the flame before you. “Close your eyes and try to retain the image of the flame in your mind’s eye. Hold on to the image of the flame for as long as you can. When you feel the image fading, open your eyes, concentrate again on the candle flame for a few seconds, then close your eyes and once again retain, if you can, the image of the flame in your mind’s eye. The idea here is to fill your mind full of light, so full of the candle flame that there is no room for another single thought.”

Let go of the thoughts of what’s for lunch, what’s on TV tonight, and such. Quiet your mind. Focus only on the flame. It will not be easy. Most find it extremely difficult at first. You have to discipline yourself and not give up. This is a task that requires patience. “Some of you, after a while, may be able to visualize the flame without use of a candle. Some may find the exercise easy to do with your eyes open, although closing your eyes is better, as it avoids any external distractions.”

You will find yourself able to focus more readily after just a few times of using this meditation and be able to block out the distracters life throws our way. When anger stirs, see the flame, take control your emotions. If fear tries to grip you, use the light of the flame to push away the darkness that is looming over you. As life starts to overwhelm you, focus on the flame, quiet your mind, and with new vision, handle the situation that is laid before you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 11 months ago #2324 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Quiet your mind
Your Master`s advice can`t be more true. I think we all can do with this advice, and certainly we could do with hearing it a few times. The first thing which comes to my mind is Zen. It is so simple yet brilliant. Every daily action is turned into a meditation: tea making, bow shooting... . A simple chore becomes an act of beauty, once done it is finished leaving more room for other things. Many things become a burden because of the fear of loosing out somewhere else. Another picture which comes to mind is that of a lake. Our minds are like the calm surface of a lake whose surface reflects that around it. As soon a thought (a stone) enters consequental waves spread out and distort that image. The picture dissapears and only distortion remains. \"Giving up\" is certainly something I have to fight with. The Germans say \"das innere Schwein überwinden\" (try to overcome the inner pig). Unfortunately this is something which each of us has to master alone. On the other hand this is where community comes in, that is why I would like to thank you for your supporting words.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #8051 by
Replied by on topic Re:Quiet your mind
:Bump:
Since we have a few new folks around.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28693 by
wow another one of those golden nugget that I am growing to \"expect\" from the forums past and new....I would also like to add that quieting your mind take practice and that one should not grow dicouraged if they cannot seem to do so right away..as with anything in life, the benefit comes from thoe who strive for it

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28695 by
wow another one of those golden nugget that I am growing to \"expect\" from the forums past and new....I would also like to add that quieting your mind take practice and that one should not grow dicouraged if they cannot seem to do so right away..as with anything in life, the benefit comes from thoe who strive for it

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28696 by

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28698 by

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28701 by
Déja vú!

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28703 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Quiet your mind
rofl...clicked the refresh button a few times too many after submitting....now i'm not alone :laugh:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28706 by
lol..yep..had a few problem with it not wanting to pot my respone..and ryu we're never alne especially when it comes to follie...lol

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi