Copy Rite Laws and Jediism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 1 month ago #22788 by
I know that the Jediism that we practice is different than the Jediism presented in the Star Wars movies and books...but if someone was going to write a book on Jediism and Jedi spirituality, would that person need to get authorization from Lucasfilms or anything?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 1 month ago #22789 by
Replied by on topic Re:Copy Rite Laws and Jediism
I would think you would need to put a disclaimer saying it is in no way connected to Lucasfilm, and be aware of what you say (saying for example george lucas is a smelly head or something would be a good way to gain the wrath of lucasfilm lawyers) and how you use references from the film.
however, look at our doctorine; how many times does it mention yoda, luke, or darth vader? how many direct star wars references are there? We're not about star wars, and that in itself goes along way to protect you.
Besides if there are references that need lucasfilm clearances it would be your publishers job to get them, and I would assume they aren't hard to get considering the amount of material out there about star wars.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 1 month ago #22794 by
There are ways of wording sentances that mean no permissions are required -

example - if discussing hilts (best keep to that name where possible) you could say something like '..the fictional laser swords, better known as 'Light Sabers' from the Lucas Studios who created the Star Wars Universe'

You are immediately crediting the saber to lucas and giving the name of the liscence holder - its free advertising for them ;)

And to be really sure, simply put a note either in the forward or in the credits saying about trademarks, liscences, etc etc 3tc etc blah blah belong too and property of the afortementioned holders of said names etc etc etc blah blah blah :D

More
15 years 1 month ago #22795 by Br. John
I know that the Jediism that we practice is different than the Jediism presented in the Star Wars movies and books...but if someone was going to write a book on Jediism and Jedi spirituality, would that person need to get authorization from Lucasfilms or anything?

NO.

Now if you wrote a fictional story abuot Luke Skywalker and published it for sale that's a different situation.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 1 month ago #22799 by
As far as im aware - there are no copyrights (or any other legally binding protections of the name) on the name jedi or Jediism/Jedist et al - Lightsaaber I am not so sure about (hence I suggested the term laser sword and the rest you specifically accredit to Lucas arts or whoever)

But as mention - any half decent publisher will deal with this and or advise you as n when/where necessary.

For now - get the content of the book in place and worry about trivia later ;)

Good Luck (Im bagging the 1st signed published copy :D)

MTFBWY - A

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi