Small Acts of Kindness

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 1 month ago #22693 by
Small Acts of Kindness was created by
As we look back on our life, all of us can find moments when others’ help, encouragement and compliment made us smile, gave us a feeling of warmth and brighten our day. This is perhaps when we recognize our connections with other human beings and come to cherish our life more, because others care about us.

On the other hand, we always feel the worth of our own lives when we are able to put a smile on someone else’s face, be it a child, an old person, a friend or a stranger. Most of the time, I am surprised at how little it takes to be kind and to give to others and how much the happiness and joy we gain in return. It is a wonderful thing.

We could remember many people who encouraged us, helped us and were nothing but kind to us. At one point, we will realize there is simply nothing we can do for them in return except giving them a hug and a sincere “thank you”. We simply have to accept their acts of kindness and pass it on to others. Kindness is not just about establishing a charity or setting up a goodwill project. Kindness could be small acts, like letting someone know you appreciate his/her work, encouraging someone who is feeling down or even just being there with someone. We could perform these small acts of kindness almost everyday. We simply need to listen, pay attention and be ready.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23386 by
Replied by on topic Re:Small Acts of Kindness
Sometimes the small acts of kindness come naturally. A child dropping their binky out of the stroller kind of thing. But sometimes I feel like maybe it won't be appreciated or the people might find it intrusive. So, I think of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, when Elizabeth Bennet admonishes Mr. Darcy for not dancing more during the ball. He says he didn't know anyone. She replies: Well, and a ball is not the sort of place to make new acquaintances? (I am paraphrasing). So, she challenges him. And I think: Well, the world is my ballroom, let's see whom I can get to know. And then I get going. If people find my help intrusive, so be it...

Real life question: there is a house for sale two houses over. The lawn hasn't been mowed in some time. It looks ugly. So far, I have not had the courage to just take my lawn mower and cut it... Maybe tomorrow...

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 10 months ago #23494 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Small Acts of Kindness
Seven greatest acts of kindness

Service: donate to a cause, as a holiday gift for your best friend.

Affection: be generous with hugs, kisses and pats on the back.

Laughter: clip cartoons, share funny stories.

Post: send a 'thank you' note, write a letter to an old friend.

Compliment: a simple 'you look great today', a sincere 'thank you for a wonderful meal'.

Listening: no interrupting, no daydreaming, no responding, just listening.

Silence: spend some time in silence, help others spend some time in silence.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
14 years 10 months ago #23495 by Jon
\"Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love.\"

- St. Therese de Lisieux

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
14 years 10 months ago #23497 by Jon
In my work with geriatric nursing I am confronted on a daily basis with death where each breath the patients take could be their last. I learned that every touch counted so much. Many of the patients who I care for and became close to, died. Sometimes the touch of my hand was the last human contact that a person felt during his or her earthly life. I learned to touch each person with as much love and care as possible. What a meaningful approach this was to each human being — to give my very best at each moment. We can say a lot by the way we touch someone, our tongues are not the only way to communicate.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi