petition
:)

http://www.petitiononline.com/jedinow/petition.html

Former Master:Br John
Rite:Jediism Rite
Former Apprentice: Knight Apprentice OwenShea 11/08, Angelus 11/09
Current Apprentice:

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #18109 by
Replied by on topic Re:Make Jediism Official
From what I understand it is recognized by the USA as an official religion, is this a world wide petition?

*bows*

More
15 years 8 months ago #18113 by Alethea Thompson
As I understand it, Jedi isn't recognized by the US Armed Forces(it took a while for Paganism to be recognized). I'll sign a petition for this. However, let the record stand: the USA will not except an online petition. It must be a physical signature and written address.

::bows::

May the Force be with you,
Randi Oxford

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #18117 by
The UK government has a website for petitions and as long as you supply a proper name and address (that can be independently verified)then this is accepted as a formal petition signature. I suspect the US has a similar system, Im quite possibly wrong on the US standpoint but this is the case for the UK (ive signed a number of petitions on our government website and have been verified a couple of times)

At the end of the day, what is the harm in trying? well, ok, do or do not, there is not try :D

So im signing (if they'll take UK signatures)

As a side note, this temple is legally recognised as a religious organisation by the state of Texas and thus must be recognised as a religion in the US (id assume anyway)and the members of the clergy who are certified are able to conduct legal marriages so with this in mind, I think Jediism is a legally recognised religion. I also believe the forces in the US accept jediism as a religion with certification from this temple (I have made official certificates for members of the military here myself)

MTFBWY - A
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by .

More
15 years 8 months ago #18142 by Alethea Thompson
Try getting the military to put \"Jedi\" on your dogtags. You usually have to go to a private company to have it done.

So no, the US Armed Forces does not officially recognize Jediism as a religion. It is thrown under \"other\". They are not allowed to criticize you for it(equal opportunity). Of note, religions such as \"Voodoo\" and \"Shamanism\" do not get placed on your dogtags either-and they've been recognized as religions across the globe for a good while.

Randi Oxford

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #18145 by
A petition never hurts. I'm number 18, hopefully won't be the last.
MTFBWUA.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #18152 by
Decimus wrote:

A petition never hurts. I'm number 18, hopefully won't be the last.
MTFBWUA.

OK, own up, who's #17 :D

Im number 16 :p

I think the fact the military will put jediism under 'other' is a step in the right direction. These things always take time, but at the the day, 'advertising' or boasting etc about it, is not what Jediism is about.

Yuo know what your beliefs are and do what ever you do to practise it/them and that is truly what counts, if you really wanna beat the system, get a tattoo :D or get your own dogs made as mentioned (if its allowed) im sure they are not too expensive (I had two sets made for myself for medical ID tags and they cost me £15 per set) im sure you lot can get them much cheaper in USA as everything else is much cheaper (whilst onthis note, anyone want to post me gasoline parcels to support your hard done by British chums :D)

MTFWBY - A

More
15 years 8 months ago #18155 by Alethea Thompson
Kana,

The problem with other, is that some people really don't want a certain denomination/religion's chaplain to do their funeral(and in reality that is really the only reason you religion is on your dogtags). If it is placed under other, than any chaplain can perform your funeral. Which could range anywhere from a Wiccan chaplain to a Muslim to a Christian chaplain. Some people don't want any of them doing it.

Ideally, a Jedi shouldn't care, and should have respect for whoever does perform their funeral. Though, I will admit that I am sort of partial to keeping my funeral as Christian as possible.

Randi Oxford

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23355 by
Browsing the forums... I am number 52. Anybody else want to sign the petition?

Bump.

MTFBWY

Marela

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23356 by
I am number 53 :)

And I really hope that Jediism will find a place among the most known religions of the world.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi