Ive Finally discovered the meaning of Life!!!

More
16 years 1 week ago #14335 by Br. John
You do all sorts of neat things without knowing how. How are you beating your heart? Growing your hair? If you're not doing it what is?;)

Founder of The Order

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #14349 by Br. John
If you really want freedom, happiness will arise
From happiness will come rapture
When your mind is enraptured, your body is tranquil
When your body is tranquil, you will know bliss
Because you are blissful, your mind will concentrate easily
Being concentrated, you will see things as they really are
In so seeing, you will become aware that life is a miracle
Being so aware, you will lose all your attachments
As you cease grasping, so you will be freed.

-Digha Nikaya

From \"The Buddha Speaks,\" edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Boston, www.shambhala.com.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14356 by
I am glad that you showed us that you are working on your development by learning of the wise men teachings and that you are glad that you are proud of your progress. But you also showed us that you have been just sliding on the surface of those teachings, you think you understand it deep while you don´t. You haven´t discovered anything like true meaning of life, you are just learning how to be a good man and slowly getting to the understanding of those teachings. First, you must understand that meaning of life is completely different for every single person thus cannot be discovered by the gross. We all are different and unique beings so we cannot wait for the same destiny. Don´t ry to find the meaning of your life forcibly, like I did - you won´t find it and the answer will slip through your fingers like sand. Your destiny and meaning of your life will come to you and find you while you are ready. However, it´s always good to study core of every religion to understand how should you behave. It will give you a peace of mind.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14357 by
My take on the meaning of life....

WHY ARE HUMANS SO OBSESSED WITH THE MEANING OF XYZ?

Do the birds sit on the branches, thinking 'now what is the meaning of life'

I doubt it, there too busy surviving. Now ok, it may be a fairer question to ask yourself 'what can I do to make the most of my life' be this for yourself or for the benefit of others.

The purpose of being human, very simple, its the biological necessity to continue the species, to pass on genetic material. in terms of the Force, well all things are the same as the force goes, whether you believe in actual incarnation is another issue...

so for me, the meaning of life, there is none, so sit back and enjoy the ride, but continue discussing it, as its one of those things that probably will never be answered ;)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #14359 by Jon
sheetiron wrote:

By studying the basic fundamental basic universal truths found in all religions and faiths. Through contemplating over the teachings of of the heroes through out the ages such as Moses, Jesus Buddha, Muhammad, Gandhi, Mother Teresa, etc I have finally found the answer to \"What is the meaning of Life?\" \"Why are we here?\" Its really quite simple, \"be the best human being you can be, and teach others to to the same.\" To put it in a more simple and blunt way, \"Be good, and be good to other people.\"

Douglas Adams wasn`t far wrong when he indicated that to know the so called answer you should first know the question. For each person there is a different question with a different answer. How boring this life would be if there were only one answer. Sheetiron be happy that you found your answer (which might also look different the next day). Anyone who denies this hasn`t understood your question.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14361 by
A bit like in Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, the answer \"To life the universe and everything\" is 42. You must first come up with a good question and be able to understand what it means in order to understand the answer and why that is.

More
16 years 1 week ago #14362 by Br. John
Some say there is no meaning to life and that it's absurd. One philosopher (I can't remember who at the moment) was so pessimistic he said, \"Better to have never been born.\"

It's often valuable for me to try and argue the opposite of a particular position.

On the position that life has no meaning I'd have to ask about something that does have meaning since without something having meaning there can't be something with no meaning.

Saying there is no meaning to anything is no better than saying everything is up.

Lord Shadow is right when he tells you that many do not understand your experience. Satori, however shallow, is a taste of direct experience beyond thought and word. It does feel like you understand everything.

I can't tell you what it is but I promise that you, sheetiron, was born knowing it and though the conventions of language and society you 'know' so much now that you've forgotten what you knew from the moment you could know.

What Master Merrin will do is to help you forget so you'll have room to remember. If your cup is full I can't pour you any more until you make space.

:ohmy:

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14365 by
Have I already posted here? Yes? No? Ahhh, I'm too tired (and lazy) to check.

Over the time I have spent talking to myself (seriously, it helps MASSIVELY), I have learned that sometimes the simplest answers are the most profound.

Many times, I have asked, \"Why?\" And, despite the fact that I have never taken any more than a specific answer, I find that in regards to our purpose here, there is only one really good answer: \"Because.\"

You ask, \"What is the meaning of life?\" Well, why else? To live.

\"Why are we here?\" To be here.

I mean... when you think about it, there shouldn't really be any more explanation. Both Popeye and the Abrahamic God described themselves under, \"I am what I am.\" God himself also simply named himself, \"I Am.\"

And that's all you really need to know. About that which is higher than yourself, and that which is yourself.

Curiosity, of course, is natural... sometimes it's good enough to just look at things with the awe of a child. The fact that they simply are is enough to really enjoy the time you spend here. WHY things work isn't really that important - it's only an assurance. The only real importance is THAT they work.

...I guess it's sort of a Jedi \"Live in the Present\" and \"Trust in the Force\" thing. Though I learned this kind of thing just by asking a random question and waiting for the little voice inside to answer. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14368 by
Xiam wrote:

.... I have learned that sometimes the simplest answers are the most profound....

Well, this is related to the saying 'out of the mouths of babes' (no I am not talking supermodel types)

I have several nieces/nephews and its amazing what wisdom comes out of even a 4 year old, I think this is mainly because they have a relatively innocent and uncluttered view of the world. As we get older, we clutter our own minds with our own views on the world and the reality and clarity of whatever your looking at becomes clouded in all sorts of needless complication, my own analogy is like cataracts of the soul.

Just for the StarWars quoting fanatics among you, in episode two, where Obi Wan Asks Yoda (taking a sabre class of younglings) where the planet has gone.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #14372 by
One thing ive learned by reading the posts by of my brethren is that I thought I realized a great truth, but ive not even reached he tip of the iceburg. Its like reaching the clouds and thinking youve seen it all. Then you look up and see space.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi