Happy Birthday Luke Skywalker

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13810 by
I got this from Star Wars.com today. It's really cool.

How, you ask, can we be celebrating Luke Skywalker's 35th birthday when we've just finished celebrating the saga's 30th?

Simple -- because George Lucas started penning the Star Wars saga over four years before we caught a glint of that galaxy far, far away -- on April 17, 1973, to be exact.

At least that's the date cited by Lucas in an interview he gave Rolling Stone Magazine back in 1983, just 10 years after he'd first put pencil to narrow-ruled paper. According to the interview, Lucas began scribing his 10-page written treatment for Star Wars on April 17, handing in the first draft a little over a month later on May 20 (according to The Making of Star Wars, it seems that a working draft may have been circulated among Lucas' lawyers and prospective studios a week or two prior to May 20).

In this first iteration of the Star Wars saga, it's interesting to see how many of Lucas' initial concepts survived to the final film. The treatment opens in \"deep space\", immediately setting the stage for the saga in a faraway galaxy. The treatment's first paragraphs are also not too far a cry from the Blockade Runner pursuit which opens the finished film:

The eerie blue-green planet of Aquilae slowly drifts into view. A small speck, orbiting the planet, glints in the light of a nearby star.
Suddenly a sleek fighter-type spacecraft settles ominously into the foreground moving swiftly toward the orbiting speck. Two more fighters silently maneuver into battle formation behind the first and then three more craft glide into view. The orbiting speck is actually a gargantuan space fortress which dwarfs the approaching fighters. Fuel pods are jettisoned. The six fighters break off into a power dive attack on the huge fortress. Lazer bolts streak from the fighters creating small explosions on the complex surface of the fort. Return fire catches one of the fighters and it bursts into a million pieces. Another of the craft plows into a gun emplacement jutting from the fortress causing a hideous series of chain reaction explosions. The chaos of battle echoes through the vastness of space.

While many of the treatment's plot points have an air of familiarity about them -- rebels on the run, a princess, cantina confrontation, prison rescue, space dogfight, etc. -- few names we know from the final films are here. There are the planets Yavin and Alderaan, described as the homeworld of the \"Wookees\" and capital of the Empire, respectively. More interestingly, though, the name Luke Skywalker is established early on in this first treatment, although he'd soon adopt the surname \"Starkiller\" in subsequent drafts until his original namesake was restored just prior to shooting in 1976.

So why commemorate the day Star Wars was pulled from the ether and laid down to paper for the very first time? Because it celebrates the spirit of creativity and the resolve of the artist to mold, twist, bend, and pound an idea into a vision that ultimately takes on a life of its own. And at just 35, what an extraordinary life it's been so far.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #13814 by Br. John
Happy Birthday to Luke Skywalker and Jediism. George Lucas said he wanted to make young people think about God or Religion and he certainly did.

I'll never forget seeing Star Wars (now Episode IV) when I was almost 17. It was a mystical experience. It also implied there was so much more to the story.

Even back then I was actually more curious about the history of Obi Wan and Darth Vader than I was about what happened next.

In 1980 when we discovered that there was to be (at the time 9 movies but Lucas later condensed much of the material from VII VIII and IX into V and VI) Episodes I, II and III I started dreaming of Episode III.

That my friends was a Hell of a long wait but well worth it.

Happy Birthday to us all.

Br. John+

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13825 by
Replied by on topic Re:Happy Birthday Luke Skywalker
May is still important in Jediism, though, right?

I mean, all six movies were released in that month... ANH and ROTJ, were both on the 25th...

I say that day in particular should be held in reverence. Aside from being Towel Day .

(Which is just plain awesome.)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi