An Alternative Sabre

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13794 by
An Alternative Sabre was created by
Hiya folks, this isn't a new idea to me, and I apologise now if this a repeat subject, but here goes regardless...

On many topics on this forum, the idea of some kind of symbolism to show ones Jedi spirituality crops up and the common themes are either robes or sabres. Now robes can easily be sorted, if you want to wear a robe then fine, a hoodie, then fine, etc etc (I am not into the idea of a uniform for jedi as such as I beleive that we are all individual and the differences in costume are another way to show this and express ones own personality) although a full dress costume for ceremonial purposes is I think a necessity.

The lightsabre is a different thing altogether. I suspect many on here who possess a hilt, have either bought or made one, that is primarily metal, and at least 8-10\" long. Now the way the laws over 'weapons' in the UK are such that to wear one in public could be deemed as possession of an offensive weapon (besides fact it would be heavy on the belt and cause public indecent exposure too :D)

The Seik religion has recently had a dilemma within England (Different laws in Scotland therefore the reason I did not say UK) as the males are required to carry a small dagger as part of their dress which conflicts with the law and possession of weapons. (I apologise now for not knowing off hand the proper name for this knife, I could have googled it but that feels like deception to me)

Now the easy solution that was decided upon was to wear a tiny symbolic one on a necklace.

So here is my take on it, why don't we Jedi, if we feel the need to wear an item of symbolism, do something similar, ie have miniature sabres made into necklaces or even a key chain et, it could still have the crystal(s) incorporated into the design and this covers that base too (the energy of crystals etc, healing/protective qualities etc)

Or even simply have a small version of the Jedi Star made mounted on a chain...

What I am rrying to get across with this post is that with a little thought, the possibilities are in reality endless, and only the limitation of ones minds limits the s possibilities.

I am just wondering what other people think, am I way off track or does this make sense, lets have a bit of a public discussion and see what the general train of thought is

In the meantime, take care and MTFBWY - A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13796 by
Replied by on topic Re:An Alternative Sabre
there is a lightsaber charm on Ebay that could work quite well for that. i have a lightsaber keychain that i cary.
i've liked that idea, it seems appropriate to me, i actually have minisabers (the master replica's ones) on my desk at work, and it helps me remmber who i am when i want to hurt a co worker, boss or more often then not, a customer calling me up and calling thier DVD/CD tray a cupholder.

but back on track. check out the ebay one. i don't know if i like it enough to buy it, but maybe it's up you alley.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13824 by
I'm gonna go in a format close to my heart on this one, and separate by subject.

On Sikhism:
I'm a Wiki Geek, so I looked it up to refresh my memory (I had previously learned about Sikhism in college, in a religion class). The sword is called a Kirpan. And yeah, it's a major symbol of their religion, symbolizing much of the same things as a lightsaber for a Jedi. It's one of the Five K's... their religious symbols to keep on their persons at one time.

On Crystals:
This is theoretically a good idea - \"The crystal is the heart of the blade,\" as they say. Unfortunately, a Crystal alone will suggest that we are Wiccan or some other \"Magick\" practitioners. Not to say that some of us aren't, and if you are, all the power to you... but I think a lightsaber would be a bit easier for me.

On Keychain Lightsabers:
I'm all for it. Like the Sikhs, we may need to keep it small for the sake of others - after all, if you train in certain martial arts, you won't need a weapon in a scuffle.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13827 by
Reasoning is the best weapon, famous Samurai once said 'the best won battles are those where no swords are drawn and no blood is spilled'

or in other words, the pen is mightier than the sword.

But yes, I wouldnt feel comfortable walking down a high street with a 10\" lump dangling of my belt, I get enough attention having to use a walking stick (makes a useful 'weapon' though) as you will find, many religious symbols are shared ideas globally, (Joe Campbell Mythos series) as for the crystal, I do not think personally many would think twice about it if they saw a crystal around your neck, when I was younger and a suf bum, I worse a rose quartz crystal around my neck and no one ver commented.

Anyway, a problem is only a problem if you let it be so ;)

Thanks for the refresh from wiki

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13831 by
Quartz is also a good symbol for Earth - Silicon Dioxide is a very abundant mineral here, and an important one to many aspects of our technology and fine decor (glass, crystal, window art). If we ever meet other inhabitants of our own galaxy, quartz may very well be a good sign of our home. :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13835 by
Good point but if we ever meet other inhabitance, let us hope that we don't need weapons. :)

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #13837 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re:An Alternative Sabre
How true, and battles are usually won or lost before they are fought. I think it's far more powerful to not have to fight than it is to be forced to fight. Now there are some crazy people out there so there may come a time when there is now choice but if the matter can be defused without harm so much the better.

Br. John+

Founder of The Order

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13843 by
Anora^una_Ilorn wrote:

Good point but if we ever meet other inhabitance, let us hope that we don't need weapons. :)

That is such a typically human response... yo humans wonder why we dont make formal contact, you a war ridden race, so we are waiting for you to kill yourselves then we'll turn eart into an 18-30's club

:D

Seriously though, why do we assume any visiting lifeform would mean us any harm? i am sure this is a debate in its self, personally, I think its basically the fear of the unknown, and is a common human instinctive behaviour, perhaps we as Jedi could be the spokespersons in such events?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13865 by
SecretSquirrel wrote:

That is such a typically human response... yo humans wonder why we dont make formal contact, you a war ridden race, so we are waiting for you to kill yourselves then we'll turn eart into an 18-30's club

...I could seriously see that happening.

IMO, I could potentially see reasoning for aliens wiping us out. For one, they may need our resources - not necessarily water, as there is a moon orbiting... Jupiter? Saturn? One of those, that is quite possibly a full-on OCEAN with a layer of ice. Then you have the comets and the stuff in the Oort Cloud, I doubt they'd need water... but perhaps they might breathe oxygen as well?

If we're lucky, they depend on Nitrogen, and will just go for Mars since it has a bit more in the first place (though our air IS very rich in nitrogen).

The main reason for a possible extermination would be, of course, that they do see us as a threat. We ARE a warrior race, and we tend to fuck up everything we get our hands on. Entropy is in our nature, and any aliens may fear that.

As such... yes, they're probably waiting for us to kill ourselves (which may be coming very soon), or may instead destroy us before we take them with us.

I can only hope that it turns out one of my friends is an alien, and we hitch a ride on their demolition spaceships.

...I'll get my towel ready.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi