• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12958 by
PLEASE REPOST & SHARE THIS BROADLY

http://www.earthhour.org

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

On 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour. This massive collective effort reduced Sydney's energy consumption by 10.2% for one hour, which is the equivalent effect of taking 48,000 cars off the road for a year. With Sydney icons like the Harbour Bridge and Opera House turning their lights off, and unique events such as weddings by candlelight, the world took notice. Inspired by the collective effort of millions of Sydneysiders, many major global cities are joining Earth Hour in 2008, turning a symbolic event into a global movement.

Created to take a stand against the greatest threat our planet has ever faced, Earth Hour uses the simple action of turning off the lights for one hour to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on global warming. This simple act has captured the hearts and minds of people all over the world.

As a result, at 8pm (your local time) on March 29th, millions of people in some of the world’s major capital cities, including Copenhagen, Toronto, Chicago, Melbourne, Brisbane and Tel Aviv will unite and switch off for Earth Hour.

Lights are off, now what?

Wave 11:11 encourages you to spread this message:

Lights down, Power up

Making it our intention to heal this planet with unconditional love and unity.

Prayer & Meditation for a balanced and harmonious world.

We are all in this together. No more wars and disharmony.

It is time we started - Taking Our Power Back.

blog article: Taking our Power Back
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vYmxvZy5teXNwYWNlLmNvbS9pbmRleC5jZm0/ZnVzZWFjdGlvbj1ibG9nLnZpZXcmZnJpZW5kSUQ9MjQ5MzE5NjA2JmJsb2dJRD0zMzk0NDY4ODk=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W10sbd04Cyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFPDrBCXnE

~Wave 11:11~ One Love brings Peace
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vcHJvZmlsZS5teXNwYWNlLmNvbS9pbmRleC5jZm0/ZnVzZWFjdGlvbj11c2VyLnZpZXdwcm9maWxlJmZyaWVuZGlkPTI0OTMxOTYwNiZNeVRva2VuPTFjY2YxNTkzLTc4ZWMtNDdjNC05MTRjLWVlYjAwNDA0ZWQ3NQ==

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12963 by
Cities getting involved

Partner cities

* Aalborg »
* Aarhus »
* Adelaide »
* Atlanta »
* Bangkok »
* Bogota »
* Brisbane »
* Canberra »
* Chicago »
* Christchurch »
* Copenhagen »
* Darwin »
* Dublin »
* Hobart »
* Manila »
* Melbourne »
* Montreal »
* Odense »
* Ottawa »
* Perth »
* Phoenix »
* San Francisco »
* Santa Cruz »
* Suva and Lautoka »
* Sydney »
* Tel Aviv »
* Toronto »
* Vancouver »

More
16 years 1 month ago #12992 by Garm
Well, with the local publicity that earth hour recieved in my community; the daily paper,
radio stations and TV news, I have to say that I'm very dissapointed. With my comminity at least.
I observed the hour but when I looked outside, my neighbourhood was ablaze, I drove into town,
astonished to see every business that was open, lit in all their fast food neon glory..

Seems to me that the general populance likes to talk about about energy awareness
but does frack all when asked to apply a tiny bit of personal sacrifice. The corporate world
does the same but falls short if the effort is going to cut into their bottom line.

I guess that hockey game or american idol show or the selling of yet another burger takes
priority over doing something good for our world...well at least that's the message I get
from my town.

*shakes head*

I look forward to reading others' experiences, I truly hope that mine are not typical.

More
16 years 1 month ago #12993 by Garm
Oh, I did forget to add that on a whole the media has reported that the hour was a
success, with large efforts from many major cities. I'm just a littel peeved with my
communities lack of...well anything really, but better not to focus on the negative and
acknowledge the efforts of others. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12996 by
7:59 PM, my fiancee looks over at me and says \"it's almost 8,\"
I turned back at him and said yep, shutting down the Computer now.
I got up and walked around the house finding candles here and there attempting to hurry as i am a last minute type of person.
8:10 all the lights in the house are turned off and candles fill the one room someone is going to be in. My fiancees aunt sits in the hallway, the most well lit room because of a few candle holders placed on a wall in front of a mirror.
By 8:20 my fiancee and myself head out to a friends house, now i hadn't heard about Earth Hour until yesturday, my city didn't do it, i live in the largest county in the country and no one bothered to say much about it.
Leaving my house i notice a few houses down the street who are dark for what could be a number of reasons. I was just glad the lights were out.
Before we even leave the drive-way, in fact from within our house i hear music playing from next door. Our neighbors had rented a bouncer and were having a party.
Walking down the street i notice another two parties going on. We make it down to this little fast food place that isn't bad and i am not surprised to see the lights on. We go in and get something to eat and head back out again. On our way we see a few houses with their lights off but most were on.
We got to our friends house and he wasn't there or was asleep, we didn't have his number on us, lol. On the way back we took a different route as we didn't know the area very well, we saw two more parties, one with one of those light balls that shoots out all the different colors and another with a bouncer. It was obvious to me that nobody got the memo.
In the city i live in though it is no surprise, this city has been dissapointing my whole life.

So, does anyone have any really good stories about Earth Hour???

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #13016 by
I did the best I could think of. I happened to be visiting family in Tennessee and my Brother-in-law has about 10 acres behind his house. On this ten acres he has two goats, two young calves and a large bonfire pit. I built a fire and meditated until one of the calves had come up and started licking my face. It was interesting to say the least.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi