Turning on the Light (spoiler?)

More
1 year 10 months ago #368474 by Streen
I'd like to discuss something I heard in the Obi-wan Kenobi show. It's sort of a spoiler but not too revealing...

When Ben and Leia are hiding, Leia asked Ben, "The Force. What does it feel like?" He responds, "Have you ever been afraid of the dark?" Leia answers, "Yes." Ben then asks, "How does it feel when you turn on the light?" She answers, "I feel safe." To which Ben responds, "Yes it feels like that."

Whoever wrote that dialogue... well, it's just fascinating to me. I had never really thought of it that way. I've felt the Force before, but not described that way, in an almost literal manner. I honestly didn't understand it fully until this morning. After I woke up, but before the sun was out fully, the house was dark. After the sun came up, I opened curtains, blinds, etc. Then I understood, because I felt more alive. The light coming in the windows made me feel, well, "safe" as Leia said.

I wondered what your thoughts were on this. Did you see the episode? How did that conversations strike you?

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Edan, Loudzoo, River, Vincent Causse, Chris-Tien

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #368479 by Chris-Tien
I think I need to rewatch the episode ....

Be tough yet gentle, humble yet bold, swayed always by beauty and truth. - Bob Pieh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

More
1 year 10 months ago #368607 by Rosalyn J
When I think about "turning on the Light" its like this...

When the light is turned on, everywhere that darkness was, when light enters, darkness is gone

Feeling safe, for me is about being able to see more clearly. Most people are afraid of the unknown. We cannot see in the dark, that is why we are afraid.

When we are disconnected from the Force (in some sort of darkness) we are afraid. Here then should go Yoda's famous "fear leads to anger..." Connection gives us a sort of vision, maybe not of the whole world, but a better picture of ourselves, our motivations, our actions, and our connections.
That is why it makes us feel safe

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Causse

More
1 year 10 months ago #368613 by Streen
That's kind of what I was thinking. We fear the dark because we don't know what lurks in the darkness, or at least that's the fear that is instinctual, for the sake of our own survival were we to be living in the wild.

I've gone through some dark times, but despite the darkness I've experienced, that dialogue in Obi-wan made me realize just how much I prefer the light, how much I appreciate it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

More
1 year 10 months ago #368615 by Vincent Causse
I ve a problem with "the fear of the darkness" personally only. I love the night, yes some time it feels scary but it s only a feeling. Rey in the end looked down in the darkness and that freaked Sky walker. I like to say that In darkness we may not see well but in full light one can be blinded. Same as darkness bring the cold and sun light the heat, but we need both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Zero

More
1 year 10 months ago #368616 by Rosalyn J
Well yes, there is so much that speaks to your point Vincent

Yin and Yang

Aristotle's Allegory of the Cave

The Moons of Ashla and Bogen

What you've brought forward, Vincent, is a principle failing of the Jedi...an over reliance on the Light...the pushing away of the Darkness...the hiding away of the Darkness. Palpatine was this well placed to be able to manipulate the Force using the dark side. The Jedi had forgotten what the Dark side looked like.

Even the artificial division of lightside and darkside was/is based on favorite ideas about what encompasses both

This has sparked some good thought, thank you

Streen, one thing your post brought forward for me was how (besides meditation, because that's an easy answer) do we turn on the light?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Causse

More
1 year 10 months ago #368619 by Vincent Causse
So i ve a little story to tell, when i was kid i liked to sleep outside of my grand ma s house that was in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by forest. One of my uncle wanted to join me one night but after a little while he asked me what was that noise and that noise, he freaked out and went back into the house. So some how i was a little bit scared but i liked to listen and make sense of the noises. I imagined a deer walking, an old branch falling, basically all sort of not dangerous activities going on in the forest. When you learn, you educate your self the unknow is not so scary anymore, that and not let fear take over, that means to control your emotions and not let them make u rush for a so called safety. We can turn the light on, it s call knowledge and mindfulness
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Zero, River

More
1 year 10 months ago #368620 by Rosalyn J
Turning on the light by reframing

Oh I love it

Thank you

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Causse, Chris-Tien

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #368621 by Zero
I think Vincent’s on to something. As jedi we get hung up on light and dark. You all have heard why I use a purple lightsaber. Purple is a mix of red and blue (sith =red blades and Jedi = blue blades in the movies), good and bad, light and dark. We’re all a mix. None of us are pure good or pure evil. No one here is perfect, and no one here is beyond redemption. Yes we may ban people from time to time, but that’s not because we don’t want to help them. It’s because they have become disruptive to others training or because they require help that is beyond our abilities. But to get back on point, too much dark, and you can’t see, too much light and your blinded. It’s all about finding our personal balance, or to say it in Star Wars terms, our own shade of purple.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentice: Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini, Khwang

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Zero.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, River, Vincent Causse

More
1 year 10 months ago #368660 by Streen
I think you might be missing the point. I'm not afraid of the dark either, but we're not talking about literal darkness.

The point of Obi-wan's metaphor was to express what it feels like to be safe in the Force. Sure, we might be a mix of light and dark, as Zero explained, but are you safe in the Force? Do you have faith? The light that is intended to be turned on is the light of understanding, the light of knowing. As Vincent also explained, do not fear, for the Force is with you.

Now in terms of literal light and dark, Yin and Yang teaches us not to go to extremes, so it's true that we can't be fully dark or fully light. To go to either extreme is to tip the balance and cause yourself to go to the other extreme.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris-Tien

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi